You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default Senior and draw weight

Hi, I am a 68 year young archer. I still shoot 4 times a week, about a hour each time. I am shooting a ALpine or my Hoyt bow at 56 lbs and 29 inch draw.
    I go to several shoots per year, all 3D. Do not have a NFAA type club in the area. I still hunt but now from natural ground blinds only, had a bad leg break ( break in 9 placres. Now have steel bar and 10 set screws to hold it together )a few years ago. I find I do not do as well hunting from a ground blind as compared to a tree stand. But I am out there about 85% of all available days from the first 3 hours of each day and the last 3 hours...

How about you other seniors ?

I'm 63, and my Ovulation is cranked all the way up to max, 58 lbs., at 29-1/2". I shoot every day, 24-36 arrows, mostly 50-70 yards.
    We shoot league (spots) every week, and 3-D twice a month.
    Hunting is WAY too expensive, and anyway, the pain, blood, and squealing I do after I fall out of a tree stand tends to ruin the experience...

Quote Originally Posted by TomT View Post
    I'm 63, and my Ovulation is cranked all the way up to max, 58 lbs., at 29-1/2". I shoot every day, 24-36 arrows, mostly 50-70 yards.
    We shoot league (spots) every week, and 3-D twice a month.
    Hunting is WAY too expensive, and anyway, the pain, blood, and squealing I do after I fall out of a tree stand tends to ruin the experience...

There ya go again TomT... shooting those eggs

you're cracking me up here TomT
    2008 Elite XXL 29 3/4" 70lbs- G1 Camo
    2008.5 Elite XLR 29 3/4" 60lbs- Ninja
    2009 Elite XLR 29 3/4" 65lbs- Metallic Red
    2009 Elite GT500 w/ Cuda Cams 25" 47lbs- Pink Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by TMax27 View Post
    There ya go again TomT... shooting those eggs

you're cracking me up here TomT
    Them skeeter "huevos" are the hardest. First you gotta figger out what sex they are, and then shoot'em off on the wing.
    The males are smaller than the females...

TomT why practice at such long distance ? I shoot most of my practice out to a max of 50 yards, that I find is the hardest shot for me to keep in the 5 ring....

Quote Originally Posted by sweet old bill View Post
    TomT why practice at such long distance ? I shoot most of my practice out to a max of 50 yards, that I find is the hardest shot for me to keep in the 5 ring....
    I find that practicing at long range helps me with short range. You have to hold steady longer, and make smaller corrections, and that seems to carry over for me to shots forty yards and under. Small problems get real big at long ranges like hand torque or head position. I usually put a square of 1-1/2" blue painters tape in the center of a small paper plate and use that for targets. If I can hit it at 70 yards then I reward myself with Corona's.
    That's incentive....

Hi, I am a 68 year young archer. I still shoot 4 times a week, about a hour each time. I am shooting a ALpine or my Hoyt bow at 56 lbs and 29 inch draw.
    I go to several shoots per year, all 3D. Do not have a NFAA type club in the area. I still hunt but now from natural ground blinds only, had a bad leg break ( break in 9 placres. Now have steel bar and 10 set screws to hold it together )a few years ago. I find I do not do as well hunting from a ground blind as compared to a tree stand. But I am out there about 85% of all available days from the first 3 hours of each day and the last 3 hours...

How about you other seniors ?
    Bill
    I hunt from a blind during the season. Tree stand will get your scent up above the deer and will always be better. I tend to buy ladder stands now days to hunt from. Lot easier to climb in. Bad thing is you got to get them up and leave them.
    DB
    Elite bows, Vortex Binos, Trophy Taker sights, Carter releases, Goldtip Arrows. CBE sights, Vapor Trail Strings, B Stinger stabilizers

in Dixie Home of the Brave and land of the Free

at the youngest so far , 58 ,I still climb and shoot at 60 lbs
    ry to shoot 5 days a week here at the house and shoot dots
    3d's shot a 293 sat
    lovin it since 73

Switchback xt BYC LOOP- SHOOT NOW56# 385gr 2312 Eclipse 100gr Muzzy 256fps SEPTER RANGER STRINGS, 4th axis,335 jammers @ 61# =285 fps

Hello Guys. I'm new here, just discovered this forum. Thought I'd throw my 2cents into your discussion. I'm 59 and still climb. I love to hunt from the ground though, and see my self doing it much more in the future. I have taken 3 good bucks from natural ground blinds. My deer hate my Double Bull. I shoot my bow often and have been shooting very well at 3d so far this year. I feel fortunate to be in good physical shape at my age. I am pullin 64lbs with both my hunting bows. A good friend of mine has a hip that needs to be replaced. Another one has gone to a crossbow because of a tendon problem that wont allow him to draw his bow anymore. Its always been a great desire to hunt, thats got me out of bed in the morning. And I imagine as I get older that same desire will help me improvise as needed. Its inspiring to hear you guys that are 10 or 15 years older than me, talk about how hard you still hunt.
    Last edited by 50 plus; 05-03-2010 at 09:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Holy Smokes View Post
    at the youngest so far , 58 ,I still climb and shoot at 60 lbs
    ry to shoot 5 days a week here at the house and shoot dots
    3d's shot a 293 sat
    lovin it since 73
    293? You damn whippersnappers with yer good eyes...

71 this year, shoot a Strother SR71 at 61 #. Shoot pretty well every day. I may not be the lead dog but I am not far from the front. Age is just a number.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbyb View Post
    71 this year, shoot a Strother SR71 at 61 #. Shoot pretty well every day. I may not be the lead dog but I am not far from the front. Age is just a number.
    Yeah, and them damn young'uns got my number....

69 and shooting about every day. Elite XLR at 50# for spots and field and my Z28 at 60#. I use ladder stands and ground a blind. No climbers and hang ons any more.

Here's another 71 year old kid. No 3d other than the one set up in by back yard, having acreage helps. Just completed one of my dream hunts by taking an Alaskan Brown Bear last year. Still chasing several species each year with no plans to slow down at this point.

Shooting a AlphaMax @ 65#
    Last edited by Bowguy; 05-06-2010 at 03:21 PM.

Will be 74 in August. Have had 4 rotator cuff ops (right shoulder) and a total right shoulder reverse replacement. Also 7 spine ops of fusions and other various types. Use my climber daily in season. PDF is now 53# rather than the former 67# but results are about the same. Wouldn't miss a day of it!!!!!

guess I'm no. 2 in age now. jim w got me by a few monthes. will be 74 in nov. but still do it all. 3D,spots and hunting. bought a bowtech connie @ 50 lbs max. for indoors. like it so much I shooting it for spots and 3D. was shooting a martin at 59 lbs. but cant see much difference so way shoot more lbs.
    Lingerie football. I dont care who wins.

sent using my keyboard and two fingers

Forgot to mention that I recently had cataract surgery on both eyes. Cannot believe how well I see now, 20-15 vision for distance and I can read a newspaper without glasses. Reading glasses are very mild diopter of 1.25 but I can read without them. For 3D I had a very hard time with black targets in dark holes, basically just guessed and let her fly. Now I can see every target with no issues at all with black targets.

Now I get to see my misses much quicker, Lol.

...... How about you other seniors ?
    Seeing that I keep getting mailings from AARP, I guess I fall under the senior catagory (gonna be 61 at midnite )

Anyways, still able to shoot my Monster (M6) at 67# with no problem...... well, no problem other than getting my arrows out of some of the targets.

I'm kind of new here, a good friend of Sweet old Bill,we shoot at least once a week together at his place, he has about thirty targets set up. Of course he always whips me! I'm 77 been addicted to the bow for about 65 years now, I
    still shoot just about every day, weather permitting. I've had to drop the weight of my Parker EZ draw down to 50 lbs this year so I do'nt strain in the cold or after 30 targets, I use a DB for turkey but my Ol Man Climber for deer
    or ladder stands. My big problem now is my eyes, I just got my first pair of distance glasses thinking this would help seeing the targets better, which it did, but now I ca'nt see my pin!! so I'm back to the old way of no glasses.

Old Archer

Default 62+ still at it after 52 years.

Got introduced to shooting by my Dad when I was about 10YO and it has been a part of my life ever since. Got a Son that shoots and 5 grandsons that shoot as well. The youngest is almost 4 and he is always wanting to shoot arrows.
    I shoot at 63/65#, hunt regularly out of a ladder stand or tri pod. The only thing that has ever happened while hunting is getting bit by a rattle snake back in 90'. Well then there was the X wife that did a number on me for a while but that didn't last but 10 years. I'll take the snake bite anytime. I clogg dance, build model airplanes, shoot and hunt with my bow, shoot pistols in a Church group and a bunch of other "redneck" stuff. Got about the absolute best Wife a man could ask for. I'm reminded regularly that I am 62 but I choose to ignore it. Lovin life.