You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Thread: New Bow

Question New Bow

I've been shooting for over a year now and had lots of fun. Now my girlfriend says she wants to shot which is cool with me. I was just wondering if any one has any suggestions on what bow to get her? I shoot a Hoyt and just wondered if anyone could tell me what I might want to get her.

I would recommend finding a good model made for youth or women. Several companies make them...one of the best is Bowtech. Buying a lowend bow is not always the answer, due to heavier mass weight, lousy grip, etc. My wife shot a Browning bow, made just for women. Smaller wood grip, light weight, decent speed. Another plus with Bowtech is the interchangeable modules, allowing you to go down to very short draw lengths. Plus, resale value is decent. Maybe you can find a good one on Ebay, or a local shop.

Thumbs up new bow

My wife has the Browning Micro Midas III and the Browning Adrenaline SX.The midas is a sweet bow for youths as well as woman. 10" of adjustment plus an ibo of 275fps.
    I would like to thank all my sponsers:Alpine Archery Pro Staff, Tru-Ball Releases Staff , Hydronics Archery Pro Staff,Victory Arrows Staff, Bohning Archery , Vibra-Check , TP Scope Lenses Pro Staff, Mossy Oak Pro Staff....
    RANGER BOW STRINGS

I bought my wife a SierraTec is Platinum. It's pretty fast. If you check out the specs, be sure to notice the specs on this bow are at 26" if I remember correctly.
    Chris Christenson - Admin
    3DShoots.com - Find Archery Shoots near you
    ObsessionArchery.com - Archery Supplies

From experience of teaching youths and adults on shoot i would have to recommend the mathews genesis. this is one of the best bows to start with. i say this because it has no certain length. it is the same poundage wether your draw length is 20 inches or 30 inches. this mostly is a bow to see if she will be able to shoot a bow, then sell it and upgrade. or if she doesn't like it you wont be out as much as 300+ dollars

Smile new bow

I bought a Browning Rage for my first bow . I had trouble at first finding advise on equipment for women ,but my local pro shop is great .The best advise that I can give you is to go to your local pro shot try shooting until she finds something that work for her

check out at www.martinarchery.com

you will find a bow that fitts her needs
    Last edited by eXcEnTriC; 05-30-2005 at 10:38 PM.

bow tech

you need to go to a por shop by you and have her try a few bow's out

My girlfriend shoot a browning micro midas 3, this are awesome bows for shooting 3D and also for hunting, this is what i would recomend

The browning micro midas 3 is a great starter bow. The most important thing is to get her fitted properly for draw length and a weight she can handle comfortably.
    Chris Christenson - Admin
    3DShoots.com - Find Archery Shoots near you
    ObsessionArchery.com - Archery Supplies

Thanks Chris, Ive done this for almost 18yrs so I do most of it all myself have her set up really good, i no this cause her first 3D shoot got 3rd, 2nd shoot got 2nd, but anyway im not a no it all when it comes to archery i still ask ? when im not sure, so far i have it all figured out but that can change.. chat later

My boyfriend obtained the Pearson SPOILER for my first bow. Used it for hunting and 3D target shooting. This season I received the MCPHERSON EDGE. A little heavier but an upgrade for strictly 3d tournaments.

I would take her to a pro shop and get fitted properly. Regardless of what bow she gets or how much she pays, if the drawlength is too long and/or the weight is too high then she will never achieve any type of acceptable accuracy.
    The other reason is that it's helpful to get some pointers on shooting form, especially about how to NOT grip a bow. Women are built a little different in case you haven't noticed. Most often they get their elbows in the way by hyper-extending the bow arm. This leads to whacking the arm---not good. If this happens then archery stops being fun. This is why drawlength in a compound is so important.

To that end, you can go to the websites of verious bow makers and see what they offer in shorter draw and lighter weight bows. Take your time and do your homework before you buy.

Again, visit a local pro shop and see what they have. Remember, you'll have to get it serviced someday, too.

It dosn't matter if she likes to shoot with in a year she will have you buying her the top of the line whatever anyway..........yes I know, twice for me same thing both times.

I recently bought my wife a parker challenger. Very nice bow. Highly adjustable, quiet, and very smooth with no hand shock. Her first time out she was shooting 3 inch groups . I just hope she doesn't start outshooting me .
    No bashing.......Violators will be shot.......Survivors will be prosecuted.

Well, I'm Joekidd's wife! I've only shot my bow once and it probably was beginner's luck that I shot that well.

Anyway, as someone posted earlier, you should take her to a pro shop, have her measured and let her try stuff. She needs to feel the bow and the grip to make a decision. It doesn't matter how much the bow costs if she doesn't like the way it feels.

Good luck!

Matthews Mustang or Hoyt Selena
    2006 Hoyt Trykon, 29" at 58#
    UltraRest Drop Away
    Target - Copper John PAA Sight
    Hunting - HHA Optimizer rheostat
    Fuse Tec. 4" Camo Stabilizer
    Medium/Black Vapor Trail Strings & Cables
    Beaver Balls
    Bohning Lynx 4
    Alpha Shox
    CX 200 w/white dip & 4" NAP Quickspins