You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Site Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Are View Post
    WOW!!! – Sounds like someone didn’t get enough hugs when they were growing up!

You almost had me, but you lost me at "your fault". Think about how ignorant that sounds -- and I thought you were a smart one?
    I will address your first point since your second one has nothing to do with me.
    What you are describing are growing pains for a state. Bringing in more monies to a township to better its schools is a good thing? If the economy is growing and it brings jobs to a state its wrong? So you don't benefit from anything that I do or pay into this state? Money that enters a state eventually enters into our nation's economy. What enters the nation's economy will effect your job. Where one state may have a deficit another may have growth which effects all of us. So what I am hearing is that money going into the economy is good, but as long as you don't feel or see the effects it has in your backyard.

Your third point:
    I can not agree with you more that the effects that urbanization has and as Bowman stated the depletion of good hunting grounds. But I am not sure how I contributed to that since I bought an older home that was built about 15 years ago. And since it is past your 10-year baseline – must be grandfathered in with this rule.

Truthfully, I do understand where you are coming from. But you can not blame all transplants from out of state as the one ruining your lifestyle or increasing your taxes. Some of us do more than some of the locals that have lived there to preserve what’s currently there.
    Hey each person moving in is responsible in some way! I'm not sure where exactly you live but here are some pretty astounding facts for Monroe County (No I'm not blaming this on you either ) Pike County is even worse, Carbon is pretty close

Increase in population from 1990 - 2000 47.9%
    Increase in population from 2000 - 2005 17.9%
    Increase in Housing from 1990 - 2000 - 35%
    Increase in Housing from 2000 - 2005 - 13%

The crime increase far outran the above increases. In addition the amount of benefits to the area has been minimal at best for a few reasons:

1. Very little is put back into the economy from the people moving in other then Food and necessities. Income tax is paid to NY or NJ where everyone works so the state doesn't even benefit from that, however wear and tear on roads, traffic, pollution, incosiderate arses... all wonderful things that I now have to deal with even though I live 30 miles outside the nearest "city" and 10 miles outside the nearest "town"

2. Property taxes and school taxes are based on Land area and stats on the home (ie 2 bathrooms, 3 bedrooms regardless of sq foot) so we have people putting 2 - 3 houses / acre of farmers field or woodland and paying less taxes then I pay, however they are also bringing their 4 kids (who btw HATE it here and hate everything about this area but they HAD to move here).

3. My school district hasn't stopped growing in over a decade. We have had at least 2 construction projects ongoing every year for the past 10. Including 2 brand new MASSIVE elementary schools, renovating 2 other ones, 3 massive add ons to the high school, 1 massive new middle school (which was made bigger 5 years later) and numerous other projects. Other school districts in the area have gone as far as splitting up their districts into multiple districts just to handle the influx of transplants

- yeah I didn't think you were a welfare collecting leech on society like a massive number of other people coming over are. The fact that you have been in the same house for 10 years proves that.

The newest "thing to do" is sell your POS run down apartment in whatever city you are coming from for 300+ K and then buy a small vacation home here (this used to be a vacation resort area, the Poconos) and pay the closing costs, typically 5 - 6K because your buying a home that is foreclosed, then pay the first 2 months of mortgage and then stop paying. It will take at least 24 months for the bank to LEGALLY evict you and you do not have to pay a cent for mortgage. Then trash the house when they evict you and move down the street to another house that the exact same thing was just done on. You can easily save up 3 - 4K in 2 years from the assistance that you are getting or from a part time job (ie: selling drugs, running drugs, not smoking your profits)

We now have areas that have ARMED guards patrolling the streets, I'm not kidding. And we aren't talking about Brinks Security guys with a can of mace and a flashlight. These guys have semi auto hand guns and normally rifles.
    No I'm not dead

Site Guru

oh btw, where do you live?
    No I'm not dead

Quote Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
    oh btw, where do you live?
    Montgomery County.

[QUOTE=Dredly;16575]Hey each person moving in is responsible in some way!... QUOTE]

I agree with you on that! But the people who already live there have reasonability also. Who do you blame... the farmer that sells his land to the developer or the developer that buys it?

1. - I don't work in NJ or NY. So I have nothing to do with this. But I understand your point.
    2. - I feel your pain on this. But I can't blame all transplants for this since I am one. Plus, in my area its not all transplants that are buying these homes.
    3. - I don't mind the school growing to accommodate the growth of a town. I like to think that my kids will get the best possible education. Its the mis-use of funds that bother me.

I like to think that we cannot generalize and blame one group for everything. That would be like me blaming all people that live in PA for not being eco-friendly since the previous owner of my house buried car tires and batteries in the back of my property.

Site Guru

Actually I blame the local goverment that makes it to expensive to own the land and so the farmer either sells out or gets forclosed on. I also blame the developers who are destorying (literally) entired mountain sides to create communities. The latest thing is the actual construction company will buy large tracks of land, then sell the lot and put whatever pre-designed house you want on it. disgusting. A lot of the large land masses being bought are also from original owners dieing and the children selling.

I wouldn't mind the schools growing, however it is not a "good growth". the majority of students moving in are forcing their "culture" on the local residents. Plus a very large majority are coming from inner city schools so their education level is behind that of the current curriculum, so all students suffer. Also the 30 - 35 kids per class is not a good number, add to that the distractions that are being caused by the transplants and it is not a good enviroment to be in.

Add to that the typical "transplant" is from NYC, Northern New Jersey or one of several disgusting cities (Trenton, Newark...) and they still work there... which leaves their kid unattended for 10 - 12 hours a day. Both parents work (how else could they afford their H2's, BMW's, or Escalades). Combine old fashioned redneck with innercity gang mentaility and its not a good mix.

I've lived here for 26 years (well lived in Allentown and Bethlehem for a year or 2 when I was early 20's) and I've watched the area go down the tubes first hand. I still remember robberies and Burgulary making the front page of the local paper (pocono record). We used to leave our front door unlocked and the keys in the car... now I sleep with the USP with the clip in it on my headboard, and I live in a "Good" area. Now homicides don't even show up in the paper.

The area is changing, it isn't for the better either. A recent poll my mcall.com on their website (I know easily forged but still...) showed that well over 65% of residents do not feel safe in their homes in the poconos... 10 years ago I gurantee 90%+ would have said yes.

I have no problem with people moving in from New York, Ohio... pretty much anywhere except from NYC and the cities of NJ. Keep the damn urban cultrure in the cities, if you move out here expect to change to accomodate us, DO NOT expect us to change to you.

(ps: that end part wasn't directed at you)
    No I'm not dead

have you ever thought of a career in politics??? you sure can beat a point w/ a hammer....
    I cut things up and split them down!