You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    dodgensince74

Default The Knock and the String ?

I am wondering which way you guys adjust the tightness of the knock on the string. I felt like my knocks were too tight, so I just got out the trusty old sand paper and went at it on the knocks till I could knock them off with the flick of my finger. I got my new arrows and want to get the knocks to fit right on my string so I would like to find out what method is recommended by most, thanks for the help.

in Dixie Home of the Brave and land of the Free

I ain't never did anything to mine just shot em. That sounds very innovative though. Let us know how they shoot and hold up. Holy Smokes

Switchback xt BYC LOOP- SHOOT NOW56# 385gr 2312 Eclipse 100gr Muzzy 256fps SEPTER RANGER STRINGS, 4th axis,335 jammers @ 61# =285 fps

ummm ive never done anything to mine.... you dont want it to come off to easy, ive seen guys with tight string loops that put a little pressure on the nock during draw, and the arrow falls off the string....

Never touched mine either. Never really thought about it to tell the truth.

I've tried prying the nock apart a little bit. Never seem to make any difference.

Default Knock fit

I've always heard that your knock should be tight enough for the arrow to hang down off the string and come loose with a small tap on the string. Sounds like you got em just right. I use a small screwdriver and spread mine as necessary. I think it does make a small difference in elevation grouping
    Doc
    PSE XXXX Force,
    X-Force 7
    Moneymaker NI

felt like my knocks were too tight, so I just got out the trusty old sand paper and went at it on the knocks till I could knock them off with the flick of my finger
    Please don't shoot the messenger but this is bad, bad, bad! The nock end is more important that the overall straightness of the arrow in my opinion. If the nock is not perfect or uniform, it will not fly the same as the other arrows. By sanding you have most likely destroyed the uniformity.

I have shot arrows out of my hooter shooter that would not group with the batch at all. At 20 yards they were off by 4 inches. We pulled the nock and replaced it and they arrows shot in the same group as the rest.
    We have duplicated this test numerous times.

If you have tested the arrows after sanding and they fly ok, then fine. I would just change the serving to a little smaller material if the nock fit is not right.
    Chris Christenson - Admin
    3DShoots.com - Find Archery Shoots near you
    ObsessionArchery.com - Archery Supplies

Listen to Chris. Most likely smaller serving is what you need. It comes in several different diameters measure in thousandths of an inch (.017, .021, .026).

By sanding you got the right fit by the sounds of things so that's what you're shooting for. But, as he mentioned, they are not uniform. You're human.

And make no mistake about it. Nock fit to the string can be much more important than people realize. I work with mine till I get the fit I want. Mine snap n very lightly and are actually just a bit loose when in place.

dodgensince74

thanks everyone, I just got my new arrows and I am going to check thier fit. I will have to get the smaller serving if I have to so that way there will not be any more sanding.
    I can't believe that I got 7 replys and 46 views in 2 days, I posted this same question on another site and only had 25 views and 0 replys and I posted it on there almost 2 weeks ago.
    Now I know where to come for advice, thanks again guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Please don't shoot the messenger but this is bad, bad, bad! The nock end is more important that the overall straightness of the arrow in my opinion. If the nock is not perfect or uniform, it will not fly the same as the other arrows. By sanding you have most likely destroyed the uniformity.

I have shot arrows out of my hooter shooter that would not group with the batch at all. At 20 yards they were off by 4 inches. We pulled the nock and replaced it and they arrows shot in the same group as the rest.
    We have duplicated this test numerous times.

If you have tested the arrows after sanding and they fly ok, then fine. I would just change the serving to a little smaller material if the nock fit is not right.
    not to argue but thats great changing the serving out if you know how to do this and have the proper tools to do this.....and to have a shop change out the serving on your brand new bow/string.....may not be the answer....

if you know how to change the serving on your bow then great but what about the other guys???
    I cut things up and split them down!

Quote Originally Posted by BOWMAN View Post
    not to argue but thats great changing the serving out if you know how to do this and have the proper tools to do this.....and to have a shop change out the serving on your brand new bow/string.....may not be the answer....

if you know how to change the serving on your bow then great but what about the other guys???
    Learn how to do it...I did

Quote Originally Posted by brokenarrow View Post
    Learn how to do it...I did
    I do I was speaking of the people that do not no how.....and what about the youngsters? they deserve as nice working equipment as us.....

I do I was speaking of the people that do not no how.....and what about the youngsters? they deserve as nice working equipment as us.....
    You are right oh wise one...we need to teach the youngsters the ancient ways, so they will not forget from wence they come....

But seriously...I think every archer should know the basics of bow maintainence...and serving is one of them...it's not difficult and you really don't need special tools.

You are right oh wise one...we need to teach the youngsters the ancient ways, so they will not forget from wence they come....

But seriously...I think every archer should know the basics of bow maintainence...and serving is one of them...it's not difficult and you really don't need special tools.
    I dont know about your bows but I have always found it alot easier in a press to change your serveing.....

I dont know about your bows but I have always found it alot easier in a press to change your serveing.....
    Oh it is easier...but not a necessity...

I'll side with brokenarrow on this one. By the way Bowman, obviously we've been around the bowstring a while now. Just how did you learn to reserve a string and do other maintenance? If anything like me it was like eating dinner----dig in.

Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    I'll side with brokenarrow on this one. By the way Bowman, obviously we've been around the bowstring a while now. Just how did you learn to reserve a string and do other maintenance? If anything like me it was like eating dinner----dig in.
    That's the only way I know how to learn anything....

I had a couple of great teachers and top of the line equipment to use......the normal person may not.....
    Last edited by BUNNYMAN; 12-02-2006 at 07:30 PM.

I hada couple of great teachersand top of the line equipment to use......the normal person may not.....
    Who you callin' NORMAL??!!??

Who you callin' NORMAL??!!??
    back off slick....your as abnormal as they come....I was speaking of the younger people or people who just started.....

you taught your self how to reserve your string w/no help from ANYONE OR ANYTHING??? no person or manuel or instruction sheet or web site.....thusly and so on......