You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default Basic questions from a rookie

Hello, I just got my first bow in a trade with a friend. It is a Browning Timberwolf that came with basically nothing on it. I wanted to find out if anyone had any experience with this particular bow and, what add kind of accessories I should add. Also, I have been hearing a lot about bow setup. Should I take it to an archery store for this. I have no practical experience with a bow and want to try to get it ready for bow season this year.

Quote Originally Posted by drew_helean View Post
    Hello, I just got my first bow in a trade with a friend. It is a Browning Timberwolf that came with basically nothing on it. I wanted to find out if anyone had any experience with this particular bow and, what add kind of accessories I should add. Also, I have been hearing a lot about bow setup. Should I take it to an archery store for this. I have no practical experience with a bow and want to try to get it ready for bow season this year.

Hey Drew. I'll share what little I have learned so far in my month of being obsessed with this sport.

For accessories, the basics would be an arrow rest (to hold your arrows properly while it's nocked), a front sight and a peep sight (to help you align your front sight and make sure you are at the proper anchor point). Beyond that, there are stabilizers, dampeners, suppressors, etc.

And yes, you should go to a proshop so that they can set up the bow specifically for you -- each person has a different draw length and all that. Having the correct draw length will keep you at the same anchor (which is super important) and keep you from over drawing the bow.

Kiko, Awesome advice! Thank you! The bow came with the "Browning arrow rest" which is really nothing more than a small piece of plastic. Should I go with an aftermarket rest?

Quote Originally Posted by drew_helean View Post
    Kiko, Awesome advice! Thank you! The bow came with the "Browning arrow rest" which is really nothing more than a small piece of plastic. Should I go with an aftermarket rest?
    I would. I have a Trophy Ridge Whisker Biscuit on mine. Its not high-end by any means, cost me about $40.00 but it gets the job done.

I would go to a pro shop and ask them to get you set up. watch closely to see what they do so in the future you can help your self and not need to have a pro do it for you. If you decide to try to setup on your own all info you need can be found in link below.
    As far as accessories there are many ways to go. some people like top of the line stuff some like to be cheap IMO its all personal preference. The basics are a rest, front site, peep site and a release. I use a NAP quick tune rest because it allows me to make easy adjustments on my own. everything but the rest on my bow was purchased because it was the cheapest. yes I am cheap!! but I still kill plenty of deer. The best piece of advice I can give you as far as getting ready for season is to shoot, shoot and shoot some more.

I hope all goes well with whatever you decide to do.

http://www.eastonarchery.com/pdf/tuning_guide.pdf

Default setting up bow:

Go to a local archery shop. DO NOt LET THEM SELL YOU THE MOST EXPENSIVE ITEMS. stay in your budget. Lessons in form and technique are more important then expensive gear. There is alot to this sport but I am with the "keep it simple, stupid " that is the golden rule of most everything. Pick up a couple of bows in your price range. Feel the grip. The most important aspect of shooting is the grip not the price. You would not wear a pair of shoes that are uncomfortable. You will not shoot well if the grip is to bulky or to small. Get the shop personnel to help you match the gear...do not let them try to sell you expensive gear. You do nott need it. In the fifties we were shooting recurves that cost $50.00 and they killed just as many game as a bow costing $400.00.........REMEMBER.......GET IT FIT TO YOU AND DO NOT LET ANY SALESMAN CONVINCE YOU into a bow over $500.00 on your first bow. Make sure they come with accessories, Sight, rest, quiver any way.
    Good luck and may all your arrows fly straight!!!!!!

Welcome to the site!
    Visit our web site
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    2 06 Martin Slayers, 63 & 55#s Nitrous C X QuikTune 3000s and HHA OL 5519s on both.
    04 Martin Cougar Elite Nitrous C X Quiktune 1000

Archery field tester

Hello, and welcome to this site, post often.