You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Hybrid View

Default What (if any) are the timing issues with the cam and a half system?

For the past five years I have shot and tuned Mathews. I worked at a Mathews shop and, for the most part, dealt with one cam systems. I am in the market for a target bow, and I am definitely curious about the hoyt. How often do they creep out of time-even with good strings? I probably shoot 200 arrows a week now. I do have a press so I can handle it, but I don't want to worry about it constantly.

With a quality after market string and cable set you'll probably never see any creep or streching, with the amount you're shooting now. That said, timing is your biggest concern, and once again with good after market rigging, once set it won't be changing. Make pencil marks on the cam and half at an edge of the limbs as a constant check. Quality rigging, da bomb!
    Visit our web site
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    2 06 Martin Slayers, 63 & 55#s Nitrous C X QuikTune 3000s and HHA OL 5519s on both.
    04 Martin Cougar Elite Nitrous C X Quiktune 1000

Archery field tester

Hello, and welcome to this site, post often.

The great thing about a cam and half system is even when they creep a bit out of time they still shoot in a same place as long as your drawing all the way to the stops. They dont act the same as a true dual cam. There is nothing to work about with them

Quote Originally Posted by Bowhunter84 View Post
    For the past five years I have shot and tuned Mathews. I worked at a Mathews shop and, for the most part, dealt with one cam systems. I am in the market for a target bow, and I am definitely curious about the hoyt. How often do they creep out of time-even with good strings? I probably shoot 200 arrows a week now. I do have a press so I can handle it, but I don't want to worry about it constantly.
    I've been shooting Hoyts for the past 3 years and for half a year prior to that, it was a Mathews Q2. I can tell you that the Hoyts are much easier to tune/time and stay that way once you get them there. I currently shoot about 500 arrows a week and once the weather is warm enough for me to shoot outdoors full time, that amount will easily double.

Once my bow is tuned/timed and the string settled, I really don't have to do anything to it unless it is something I'm intentionally doing to get a little different reaction out of the bow. Hoyt's cam .5 system is VERY user friendly. A good friend of mine recently made the switch to a hybrid cam system after shooting single cam bows for years and really likes their ease of set up and flexibility. It's almost a set it and forget it scenario....