You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default Realistic Yardage for shots at Elk

I see what takes place on TV during Elk hunts, but I have my doubts that the point blank shots at Elk are very realistic. I'm sure that there is a chance that one will walk right up to you, but not very often. For those of you that have experiance bowhunting for Elk, what could be considered realistic expectations for a shot at one??? I have been practiceing with broadheads and am consistant out to 60-yards. Shooting at a target and a live aminal are two totally different things. But to be honest, I really don't like the idea of shooting at an animal that far away because there are to many things that can happen. If the Elk takes a step during the release, you have a bad hit and I really don't want that to happen. With whitetail deer, I have typically limited myself to 30-yards. Anyway, let me know what some of your experiances have been with Elk and if I should just get past my fear of long shots. Thanks.

well ive been out west twice rifle hunting and have yet to get within 400 yards of a legal bull but one of our friends goes bowhunting and he has shot 2 with his bow one at 21 yds and the other at 45 yds

I've been hunting elk for many years during the archery hunt, which is during the rut. Most shots I have taken are under 30 yards, if you doing it right, you can normally have a shot of 30 yards or less. My longest shot at a bull was 50 yards and that is becuase it missed at 28 yards. The bull went less than a 100 yards and fell.
    Bob
    If I can't hunt in
    heaven, I don't wanna go
    Shoot straight, and aim
    for the 12 ring.

Colorado Bow Hunting

Default Guide point of view about bow hunting elk in Colorado

I have several guided camps and drop camp services that I work with in Southwest Colorado. I try to give a fair hunt to both the animals and my hunters. AND at a fair and reduced price from the other outfitters and guides of the area. In my 12 years in this area, I would agree that a normal good shot of elk in this country and cover is 30 yards or less. Ihave had GOOD kills from some very talented and very well practiced hunters at to about 70 yards. But that shot and the shooter are a rarity. I have most of our kills from 15 to 30 yards when hunted properly. For what it's worth. Contact us about last minute deals on hunts for 2010.
    Mulepacker

Thanks for the info guys. I really appreciate it. If anyone else has experiance bowhunting Elk, I'd like to hear what you have to say too. Thanks again.

well, i start on saturday i practice alot all year, i under no circumstance will personally shoot over 50, 30 i would say is avg. i have had plenty of point blank encounters, it does happen. elk have big vitals, but like you pointed out, much can go wrong at long distances, good luck!
    rytera X
    whisker biscuit rest
    cobra 4 pin
    flingin' gold tip xt hunters
    muzzy 100gr 3 blade

I've made 30+ trips chasing the wily wapiti.
    My closest shot was 4yds and longest shot was 36yds and a lot of elk in between.
    Not making the trip this year. I'll sure miss spending 3 weeks busting my hump up and down those mountains.
    FWIW, I've had many, many elk within 5 yards many times and chose not to shoot.
    This all hunting from the ground.
    Heck, the work starts and the fun ends if ya' shoot one.

Quote Originally Posted by peepsightterry View Post
    I've made 30+ trips chasing the wily wapiti.
    My closest shot was 4yds and longest shot was 36yds and a lot of elk in between.
    Not making the trip this year. I'll sure miss spending 3 weeks busting my hump up and down those mountains.
    FWIW, I've had many, many elk within 5 yards many times and chose not to shoot.
    This all hunting from the ground.
    Heck, the work starts and the fun ends if ya' shoot one.
    4 yards..............I'll bet thats an adrenalin charge.

"HONDA"