You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default What should an archer learn to do?

The tread on nocks and serving prompts me to ask the question, What are the bow maintainence things that an archer should learn how to do? And how did you learn to do them?

I don't mean shooting skills, which are a given, but the skills that don't require a bow press.

One, of coure is reserving.

A couple of other that I can think of are waxing bowstring & cables and adjusting sights. I learned these from reading archery books and forums.

Anybody have any others?

I guess the Biggies are:
    (without a press)
    Serving- I read an article w/ good illustrations(tools(serving thread, bobbin))
    Peep install- Learned by doing(tools(string separater, serving thread))
    Nock install- Really self-explanitory (tools( good bow square, nock pliers))
    Rest install- Learned by doing(tools(bow square, allen wrenches, center guage))
    Sight install/adjustment- Learned by doing(tools(allen wrenches, measured target))

Also on my list would be arrow building:
    At least Re-fletching and insert install
    I learned fletching by doing it, but there are some good training materials out there.
    Re-fletch-(tools( good jig, fletch stripper of some kind, cleaner, glue, vanes)) it's one of those what works best for you things...

Quote Originally Posted by brokenarrow View Post
    I guess the Biggies are:
    (without a press)
    Serving- I read an article w/ good illustrations(tools(serving thread, bobbin))
    Peep install- Learned by doing(tools(string separater, serving thread))
    Nock install- Really self-explanitory (tools( good bow square, nock pliers))
    Rest install- Learned by doing(tools(bow square, allen wrenches, center guage))
    Sight install/adjustment- Learned by doing(tools(allen wrenches, measured target))

Also on my list would be arrow building:
    At least Re-fletching and insert install
    I learned fletching by doing it, but there are some good training materials out there.
    Re-fletch-(tools( good jig, fletch stripper of some kind, cleaner, glue, vanes)) it's one of those what works best for you things...

all very good young grass hopper.....now if you could just start a thread on articles that we were told was comming.....by someone that shall remane nameless....you seem to be well versed in all this new fangled archery stuff....
    I cut things up and split them down!

Quote Originally Posted by BOWMAN View Post
    all very good young grass hopper.....now if you could just start a thread on articles that we were told was comming.....by someone that shall remane nameless....you seem to be well versed in all this new fangled archery stuff....
    Master Po...I would be honored to share my most humble knowledge with the young pupils

Quote Originally Posted by brokenarrow View Post
    Master Po...I would be honored to share my most humble knowledge with the young pupils
    well get writing hopper......

I need to learn to serve in peeps and tie some string loops. Adj. rests and sights are no problem. Just don't know if I would trust my loops while drawing 72# directly at my nose Oh well what is the difference 60-70 it will still hurt like............................real bad.

"HONDA"

Quote Originally Posted by BowhuntnHoosier View Post
    I need to learn to serve in peeps and tie some string loops. Adj. rests and sights are no problem. Just don't know if I would trust my loops while drawing 72# directly at my nose Oh well what is the difference 60-70 it will still hurt like............................real bad.
    string loops are easy...PSE puts instructions right in the pack w/theres...geting good melted balls on the ends is most important.....

Quote Originally Posted by BOWMAN View Post
    string loops are easy...PSE puts instructions right in the pack w/theres...geting good melted balls on the ends is most important.....
    I'm sure they are but I still would be very careful drawing my first one for awhile. I have some pics I copied from AT that are very good. Maybe I will buy some loop material and start practicing.

"HONDA"

I just learned to tie in string loops about 4 mos. ago. Ya I won't lie I was a little scared drawing that first arrow back. But I have also punched myself in the mouth about three times too over the years. But the last time is what pushed me over the edge. I was practicing with my hunting bow before season and I knew my Dloop was getting bad but I was gonna go and have it fixed the next day. Started to draw my bow back (70 #) and WHAM!!! right in the chin again lip was bleeding the whole nine yards. I got to looking at the Dloop which had snapped and it had broke from the opposite end of the place that I thought it would break. So after that I decided it was pretty ignorant of me to not know how to tie them in, I do alot of my own work but I would go to the shop to get a Dloop tied in. Not anymore!

P.S. Hoosier the trick is to Draw the bow at chest level and straight then bring it up to your anchor, that way if it snaps you don't get hit
    Target: Hoyt ProElite XT3000 C2, 60# 30", CBE Quad Lite, CBE 3x .019, Trophy Taker, Easton Fatboy 400's(indoor) lightspeed 400 (outdoor)

Hunting: 2009 Alphamax35 (Blacked out) 70#, 29", HHA Slider, Bisquit, Easton ACC 3-60, Rage 100 gr. 2 blade

Quote Originally Posted by Radar View Post
    I just learned to tie in string loops about 4 mos. ago. Ya I won't lie I was a little scared drawing that first arrow back. But I have also punched myself in the mouth about three times too over the years. But the last time is what pushed me over the edge. I was practicing with my hunting bow before season and I knew my Dloop was getting bad but I was gonna go and have it fixed the next day. Started to draw my bow back (70 #) and WHAM!!! right in the chin again lip was bleeding the whole nine yards. I got to looking at the Dloop which had snapped and it had broke from the opposite end of the place that I thought it would break. So after that I decided it was pretty ignorant of me to not know how to tie them in, I do alot of my own work but I would go to the shop to get a Dloop tied in. Not anymore!

P.S. Hoosier the trick is to Draw the bow at chest level and straight then bring it up to your anchor, that way if it snaps you don't get hit

For right now my loop is fine so I am not going to mess with it but I will remember drawing at chest level when the time comes. I have had a release pop me in the mouth a couple of times nothing like hitting yourself in the kisser the first time.

"HONDA"

dodgensince74

Quote Originally Posted by Radar View Post

that is what I do, I always have my hand drawing to the side of my face or to my chest depending on the space I have and then bring it to my anchor (I ain't that good looking to begin with so I don't need to make things worse).

the D-loop was the first thing I tried changing my brothers and my bow, I did my brothers bow first (I may be dumb, but I ain't stupid). It worked out okay, its been 3 months or more and everything is ok. By the way I talked my brother into shooting my bow a few times after I did my loop , I just used the excuse that I had to clean up all the mess .

The one thing that scares me about trying new things is the chance of messing something up that could be costly, and I think most of us newbies feel that way.
    The one thing that keeps alot of us from asking how to do things is that some individuals feel that they have be little the person asking the question.

Default Messin up

For the newbies, I don't think there's a lot that you can do to mess up a new bow, unless ya dry fire it. Go for it, thats how you learn.
    Doc
    PSE XXXX Force,
    X-Force 7
    Moneymaker NI

Quote Originally Posted by Hkdfrlife View Post
    For the newbies, I don't think there's a lot that you can do to mess up a new bow, unless ya dry fire it. Go for it, thats how you learn.
    Exactly...just use your head! I mean don't go winding out limb bolts...

Rests, Sights, D-loops...you really can't screw it up...If you're gonna mess with the string or cables just remember...NO SHARP OBJECTS OR EDGES...One sharp edge and that string is junk!!!