You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
    Senior Member rdnkgrl_robinhood's Avatar

Default Ditchin' the Biscuit

Well boys I am sure you are all gonna have fun with this one.

I have been shooting a lot lately. About 200 arrows a day give or take a few. Well I had just had all twelve of my arrows refletched becaused my vanes kept falling off. I thought maybe it was because they were the standard vanes that came on the arrows and maybe they wernt very good. Within two weeks my vanes were falling off again. I have to assume that the Biscuit is ripping them off. So I decided to ditch the biscuit and I put on a standard quicktune 800. Nothing fancy, just a basic rest. I havent lost a vane since.

Anybody else have this problem?

Rdnkgrl

in Dixie Home of the Brave and land of the Free

Now Mr Bowman remember We must be good boy's. I have a friend that his vanes are cut off about 1/8 in up just like you took a razor knife to them. Strange very strange . HS
    Good to here from you rdnkgirl and to see that you are still shootin and that a Martin.!!!!

Switchback xt BYC LOOP- SHOOT NOW56# 385gr 2312 Eclipse 100gr Muzzy 256fps SEPTER RANGER STRINGS, 4th axis,335 jammers @ 61# =285 fps

Quote Originally Posted by rdnkgrl_robinhood View Post
    Well boys I am sure you are all gonna have fun with this one.

I have been shooting a lot lately. About 200 arrows a day give or take a few. Well I had just had all twelve of my arrows refletched becaused my vanes kept falling off. I thought maybe it was because they were the standard vanes that came on the arrows and maybe they wernt very good. Within two weeks my vanes were falling off again. I have to assume that the Biscuit is ripping them off. So I decided to ditch the biscuit and I put on a standard quicktune 800. Nothing fancy, just a basic rest. I havent lost a vane since.

Anybody else have this problem?

Rdnkgrl

I have heard about this problem. I currently use a WB and never had this happen. I was also told getting the right size WB is key to preventing this problem. If the WB is too small for the diameter of the arrow you are using, this will happen. I don't shoot as many arrows as you do either. The WB, for me, is too convenient when hunting to give up.

Take Care,

Ed
    "I don't go to church much, but I see the beauty of God everytime I walk in the woods".

-E Duffy Sr.
    (1946-1993)

Bowtech Guardian (29" DL, 63 lbs.)
    Bows Owned:
    Mathews Switchback/Switchback XT
    Hoyt Trykon/Vulcan

I am shooting the very slim arrows and I had a small Biscuit, I am sure that it was the right one for the arrows. All the arrows fit neatly inside the biscuit without ruffling the whiskers.

rdnkgrl

What type of rest are you switching to?
    ORANGE COUNTY CHOPPERS
    Myspace:myspace.com/08_stroker

Glad to hear you are shooting again. This is why there are so many options out there if you are not happy with something or you are having problems as you are then there is always something for you. I wonder which vanes you are shooting, blazer vanes are the best in my opinion for the WB. If you are not hunting where you are walking through brush or stalking where you will tilt your bow alot then you will be fine. It costs too much to be refletching arrows all the time. And that quicktune looks to be a very nice rest. Good luck and don't stay away so long.

"HONDA"

I had a biscuit a couple of years ago and had fletching problems. I never had one completely strip off but I had the leading edge come unglued more than just a few times. I'm not sure what you can do, possibly switch vanes. One vane to stay away from with a WB is a Quikspin. I tried that and had more headaches than I wanted, not to mention the money I was wasting on the Quikspins...

I use a Quicktune 3000 and a Trophy Ridge Drop Zone on my 2 bows. No fletching problems at all.

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by papito View Post
    What type of rest are you switching to?
    I switched to a very simple quicktune 800. Nothing fancy at all, just a basic rest. I had been using 4 inch vanes, but this last round I decided to have six of my 12 feathered instead just to try out feathers for a change. Since I am still pretty new to archery I have been working on trying out different stuff so that I can make my own assesment of equipment and supplies. I really like reading these posts so I can see other peoples opinions and such, but I am a firm beleiver in the fact that you really need to try stuff for yourself, what works for me may not work for another and visa versa.

I think after the feathers I will try some of the Blazers or Quickspins. Is there much of a difference in the two?

Rdnkgrl

ditching the bisquit Ditchin' the Biscuit - General Archery Forum Ditchin' the Biscuit - General Archery Forum Ditchin' the Biscuit - General Archery Forum
    www.Missouriwhitetails.com
    Trophy Rock Pro Staff
    Hunt Hard, Hunt Safe, Pass It On

in Dixie Home of the Brave and land of the Free

Bowman that is just to cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!HS

Switchback xt BYC LOOP- SHOOT NOW56# 385gr 2312 Eclipse 100gr Muzzy 256fps SEPTER RANGER STRINGS, 4th axis,335 jammers @ 61# =285 fps

Quote Originally Posted by MoBowman View Post
    ditching the bisquit Ditchin' the Biscuit - General Archery Forum Ditchin' the Biscuit - General Archery Forum Ditchin' the Biscuit - General Archery Forum
    are those shop right can can girls........
    I cut things up and split them down!

A friend and I both shoot a biscuit and have never had a fletch problem...although I have another friend that was ripping off his fletching...we never figured out why...I shoot CX's w/3" duravanes and some w/ stock 4" vanes... the other 2 shoot GT's w/ stock vanes...Everyone has different expieriences...

Quote Originally Posted by rdnkgrl_robinhood View Post
    I am shooting the very slim arrows and I had a small Biscuit, I am sure that it was the right one for the arrows. All the arrows fit neatly inside the biscuit without ruffling the whiskers.

rdnkgrl

That is fine, but the hole in the WB is suppose to be a little bigger then the shaft diameter. When seated in the rest, there should be a slight gap on the top above the arrow. The pro shop I visit stated to me that the biggest reason why WB users loose vanes is because the WB size they use is too small. I have yet to loose a vane while shooting using a WB, with my Mathews Switchback XT.

Take Care and God Bless!

Ed
    "I don't go to church much, but I see the beauty of God everytime I walk in the woods".

-E Duffy Sr.
    (1946-1993)

Bowtech Guardian (29" DL, 63 lbs.)
    Bows Owned:
    Mathews Switchback/Switchback XT
    Hoyt Trykon/Vulcan

Quote Originally Posted by BOWMAN View Post
    are those shop right can can girls........
    forgot the skirts

But don't forget the Banana Man shuffle Ditchin' the Biscuit - General Archery Forum
    www.Missouriwhitetails.com
    Trophy Rock Pro Staff
    Hunt Hard, Hunt Safe, Pass It On

Default biscuit

which biscuit are you using? i'm using the Quick Shot. it ruffed a few of my vanes but a hair dryer fixed that. since i switched to blazer vanes i've had no problems

Default biscuit

i posted a reply, can't find the first one. anyhow which biscuit are you using? i use the Quick Shot. it ruffels a feww vanes but a hair dryer fises that problem. i recently changed to blazer vane and have had no problems

Quote Originally Posted by gerryo9 View Post
    i posted a reply, can't find the first one. anyhow which biscuit are you using? i use the Quick Shot. it ruffels a feww vanes but a hair dryer fises that problem. i recently changed to blazer vane and have had no problems
    Hey there, my biscuit is a Quick Shot (small) I have the really small diamiter arrows. There didnt seem to be a problem sitting in the rest inself, I just kept losing my fletches. Maybe its just me or the way I shoot.

I did switch to a regular rest, and true feathers. So far so good. But you know since all I shoot is indoors anyway I suppose I really dont need the Biscuit.

rdnkgrl