You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Thread: Target Panic?

Default Target Panic?

Can someone please explain what target panic and how it is developed?

There are a lot of different forms of TP, flinching,driveby shooting,stuck below target and cant raise the pin up. I believe it is developed by a shooter trying to hold perfectly still with pin on target(which is impossible) and you start fearing missing.

This is a very hot topic. With tons of guys claiming they can fix it. Some say you have a bad bow setup, wrong release, anticipating release.

I suffer from TP some days its worse than others. I hope this helps.

"HONDA"

Thanks man helps alot!

Quote Originally Posted by phillips1210 View Post
    Can someone please explain what target panic and how it is developed?
    http://texasarchery.org/Documents/Ta...c/TargPan.html

From my experience with it... mostly this.

The Real Cause of Target Panic: "Classical Conditioning"
    As a psychologist I naturally look to classical conditioning, also called respondent learning, as the culprit of target panic. There are many other disorders with very similar characteristics that are understood, explained and remedied effectively by working from a classical conditioning perspective. Phobias and panic attacks are two that quickly come to mind. Let's briefly visit the original experiment performed by the Russian Psychophysicist, Ivan Pavlov, that brought us to an understanding of this method of learning. Pavlov experimented with dogs and discovered that he could elicit salivation (the response - R) by a tone (conditioned stimulus - CS - neutral stimulus that does not cause salivation) by pairing the tone with meat powder (unconditional stimulus - UCS - that always causes salivation). Pavlov presented these stimuli in a specific order beginning with the tone and quickly following with the meat powder that always caused the dogs to salivate. The process description of classical conditioning is CS > UCS > R. The dogs quickly learned to associate the tone (CS) with the meat powder (UCS) and would begin salivating (R) when the tone (CS) sounded. So, once the association has been made the tone caused salivation or CS > R. The "Law of Contiguity" states that "any two stimuli paired this way (CS > UCS) in time and space will come to be seen as classically associated." Humans and animals alike learn through association. Of course, humans can overcome this learning through analysis and insight that leads to action designed to eradicate the learning that occurred. A few varied examples of classical conditioning will be helpful.

Thank you very much. This was very good reading. Makes it sound like there may just be hope for me.

"HONDA"

I had a bad case of TP about 20 years ago. So bad I was ready to give up archery. I did for a while. I started reading about it and got myself a couch.
    He worked with me for about 4 months.
    He had me using a bunch of different releases. I now shoot with a Carter
    back tension release. When I get shooting bad I have to stop what I'm doing and talk myself thru the basics. I have found that when I get tired I get sloppy. Time to stop.

We do this because we have a passion, I try and keep archery fun.

All the above are good explanations. When you first started out shooting you were happy to get on the bale, then happy to get on target, then happy to keep all arrows in the three, then the four, then happy to keep all in the five, now we want to keep all in the X, and its the fear of missing that X that causes flinches, jerks, freezing, and all the other bad stuff, we try to be too precise and most of us aren't that precise.
    Carroll

I don't think I will ever get rid of mine Anybody want to buy a nice target bow
    Hook 'Em Horns

Very good read. Thanks for the link.
    Got archery?

Looking for archery tips?