You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default Don't take a shot until it's right

Well, seasons have started and I got my first email this morning from a non hunting friend that knows that I hunt. This past weekend he and his neighbor had to bring out the backloader to burry a mule deer. Someone shot the buck (looks to be a 6 point) in the left hind quarter just behind the leg bone. From what I could see in the photo I judge the shaft to have burried in about ~ 6" which makes me think someone took the shot from a ways out and either flinched or hit I twig causing the deflection. God only knows how much this animal suffered before it finally died. Pictures like this make me sick. Hopefully it'll make others think twice before taking a marginal shot.

Folks - PLEASE make every effort that you can to take your game AS CLOSE AS POSSIBLE and in as humane a manner as possible.
    Attached Images Attached Images

In God we trust wilkersonhunter's Avatar

Thats sad to see. there is a thread on the general archery forum on here that a guy shot a elk at 90 yds and thought it was ok. people like that make me sick! Archery is a sport to see how close you can get the animal to you before you make the shot i thought.
    truball shooting staff
    2012 pse dreamseason evo 6
    member of the 160" 8ptr club
    [/COLOR]Treelimb quivers best out there
    treelimb quivers and sword sights pro staff

Looks like more than 6" to me. But not exactly where we'd like to hit one. Hopefully it caught part of the femoral and ended it quick. It does sk when we can't harvest all of the deer.
    FBSA Member

This does happen and we all should try to make the best shot possilbe. but posting the picture on a public forum may not be the best way to get the point acrossed.
    Pse X6
    Hoggit Sight
    G5 Rest
    Tru ball pro extreme
    Easton ACC 3-60 & 3-71's

you get a shot you take it or you will never get a deer.the perfect shot don't come that often.you show one deer with a arrow while there are thousands smashed on the road every day.

Quote Originally Posted by steve bear View Post
    you get a shot you take it or you will never get a deer.the perfect shot don't come that often.you show one deer with a arrow while there are thousands smashed on the road every day.
    Wow, that is philosophical. You probably only practice with your bow the day before opening day too?
    SAVE A BUCK--SHOOT AN OUTFITTER

So if it looks like Im gonna run one over with my truck in da road...should I make sure I take an ethical angle and line that baby up with my hood ornament or should I just merely try to make some sort of glancing blow?
    Extreme Strings Staff......www.extremebowstrings.com

Big difference between hitting one with your truck and taking an unethical shot at a deer. We have a moral obligation as hunters to try and make a clean shot/kill on that deer.
    Katera XL 60#/30
    QAD,Bow Rattler, Winner's Choice,B-Stinger,Goldtip, TRU Ball
    Carbon Matrix Plus 60#/30
    B-Stinger, Axcel HD Pro, QAD, Carter RX-1

Default Question

So how do you know that deer suffered at all. I've seen deer shot there that went down in seconds. With the arrow still in him I doubt he was running around too long or it would have broken off, surely. I'm not sure about a true hunter posting a pic of a bloated deer with an arrow sticking out of his ham and talking about how much he probably suffered. I don't think I would have posted this even if I was trying to make a statement. More fuel for the fire IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Okbowman View Post
    So how do you know that deer suffered at all. I've seen deer shot there that went down in seconds. With the arrow still in him I doubt he was running around too long or it would have broken off, surely. I'm not sure about a true hunter posting a pic of a bloated deer with an arrow sticking out of his ham and talking about how much he probably suffered. I don't think I would have posted this even if I was trying to make a statement. More fuel for the fire IMO.
    Ditto...........2 post im thinkin troll.........................
    2010 PSE AXE 7

Troll ? He's been a member for almost a year. Deep cover lol.
    Katera XL 60#/30

Quote Originally Posted by VNVGUNNER View Post
    Troll ? He's been a member for almost a year. Deep cover lol.
    Troll, sorry I'm not a troll. I've been on the road (Wa to Wi) for a fishing and whitetail hunting trip. Somewhere above someone says that I should not post the picture on a public forum. If you were to check, this is the ONLY forum where I've posted this picture. My only motivation is to tell a story (of sorts) to OTHER HUNTERS. And I thought that this site would be the most appropriate place to post. I'm not trying to put down hunting - I just want to remind my fellow hunters that they PLEASE take a shot when it's right and to realize that there are times when a shot should not be taken.

Any number of reasons that arrow could have ended up hitting there. All we can do try to take the best shot, at an animal that is offering a decent angle. For all we know that deer could have been on alert and spun at the shot.
    Know your equipment and your ability, then try to wait for a good angle. It does'nt have to be a perfect angle, but something that offers a good double lung or lung/heart.
    FBSA Member

Quote Originally Posted by carvendive View Post
    Troll, sorry I'm not a troll. I've been on the road (Wa to Wi) for a fishing and whitetail hunting trip. Somewhere above someone says that I should not post the picture on a public forum. If you were to check, this is the ONLY forum where I've posted this picture. My only motivation is to tell a story (of sorts) to OTHER HUNTERS. And I thought that this site would be the most appropriate place to post. I'm not trying to put down hunting - I just want to remind my fellow hunters that they PLEASE take a shot when it's right and to realize that there are times when a shot should not be taken.
    I was eluding to the fact that you were not a troll, as you have been here for almost a year.
    Katera XL 60#/30

Quote Originally Posted by VNVGUNNER View Post
    I was eluding to the fact that you were not a troll, as you have been here for almost a year.
    Sorry, your reply was the last in the thread and I used the quote to do my reply.

No problem.
    Katera XL 60#/30

Quote Originally Posted by 'SIN'ERGY View Post
    Wow, that is philosophical. You probably only practice with your bow the day before opening day too?
    yea you got me,i have only got 92 deer....(two 9-25-10) but i'm going to do better.

Quote Originally Posted by steve bear View Post
    yea you got me,i have only got 92 deer....(two 9-25-10) but i'm going to do better.
    I'm sorry. Then it's not philosophical, you are just legendary
    SAVE A BUCK--SHOOT AN OUTFITTER

Banned

It happens. Coyotes gotta eat too. Should have used a Rage.

to the guy who posted about deer being hit on the side of the road every year them deer are not suffering like this one who knows how far this deer had ran before it dropped and who knows how long it layed there before it died use your head slow down and always take a good shot no one likes tracking deer for miles