You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default To early for Grunt Calls?

How early in the season do you start using a grunt call? Reason I ask is that the other evening, I had a buck about 80-yards out, as close as he was going to get with the direction he was traveling. I figured I had nothing to loose by using my grunt call to try to bring him in. I blew a couple of soft grunts, loud enough for him to hear but not aggressive. He stood and looked for about 10-seconds and then he turned and made a hasty retreat. He didn't blow out of there like he was really spooked, but he knew something wasn't quite right. The wind was good, so he didn't smell me and I was pretty well hidden in the tree that I was in, so I doubt he saw me. Is it to early to use a grunt call yet???? I'm interested in knowing what ya'll think.

He Who Drops His Bow Arm dbdcougar's Avatar

I had one grunt last Sat. - I was kind of surprised. I don't grunt this early but now I'm wondering.
    Bear Kodiak Magnum, Easton XX75 Legacy w/Zwicky's, Great Northern Quiver
    Black & Pink package for the Princess: Martin Mystic, Sword Apex, Limb Driver
    FBSA emertus

Default Grunt

When bowhunting I always have a grunt call on me. Grunting can work anytime. I usually only grunt if I can see the buck in the distance and try to get him closer. Having eye contact lets me know if they buck is reacting to the call.
    DB
    Elite bows, Vortex Binos, Trophy Taker sights, Carter releases, Goldtip Arrows. CBE sights, Vapor Trail Strings, B Stinger stabilizers

Quote Originally Posted by dbdcougar View Post
    I had one grunt last Sat. - I was kind of surprised. I don't grunt this early but now I'm wondering.

Situation(and location) dictates.

This time of year, for years...I have observed Bucks ignoring grunt calls. But a friendly little clacking of antlers tends to peak their curiosity, especially while they are still running in Bachelor groups.

It mainly depends on the personality of the deer. Some bucks will come in almost everytime when some wont ever come into it. You just never know. I tried to rattle in a big 10 pt that i could see in the distance and he heard it. Looked my way for awhile and even came a lil closer but never close enough. 4 Days later i blind rattled and he came in lookn and when I grunted at him it was like I reeled him in.
    Sometimes it just depends on that deers personality or his personality at the time. I never leave home without a grunt tube. You never know if its gonna work unless you try it and I have had awesome luck with them especially the primos buck roar or growl. What ever you call it.

i rattled in 2 small bucks last night i didnt try the grunt call though