You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default My New Mexico Bull Elk

Hello all, been reading for awhile, so finally joined the forum.

This is the bull I took this year here in New Mexico, its nice living here, much better chance of drawing, but still hard to draw some areas.

Bull was shot on Monday evening, 20th September. I heard the bull bugle at 5:30 PM, suprised me because it was hot and windy. I figured it was a bull that we had previously seen, which he did not have any cows with him. So I responded to his bugle with a cow call, and he responded right back. He had to be 1/2 mile, I didn't figure he would hear me with the wind, but he did. After a couple of calls, I realized he was coming.

It didn't take him long, when he got to approximately 200 yards I let out another cow call, just one so he knew where the cow was. It was a good setup, but only about a 5' shooting lane for 35 yards.

I seen him moving through the trees, i drew, he stopped right before entering the shooting lane. I had to hold for over a minute, the angle was downhill and I knew I needed to make a quick shot when he entered the shooting lane. He finally bugled and stepped forward at 30 yards and I made a good shoot through both lungs.

Bow is a Mathews DXT shooting Rage 2 blade broadheads. Big bulls and high shooting down in have thick ribs. Shoot went through one side and broke ribs on other side and poking under the skin.

Bull ran 100 yards and dropped dead. Of course he ran down the side opposite of what we had to pack him out. I got the ATV within .6 miles of him, we cut/quartered him that evening and finished at midnight. We left a lamp burning all night, mainly for lions didn't come in as the bears and coyotes would grab the guts and carcas, which we dragged downhill about 30 yards. Took 3 trips in the morning with two of us and a game cart and we had it out.

Estimated the bull was over 900 pounds. Bull is a 6x6 and our quick score in the field is 354.

My New Mexico Bull Elk - Bowhunting forum

and these guys are mating in September, so walking all around, fun to play with Tarantula's if you can't find any elk lol

and this guy was a bit mad at me and bit me when i picked him up, but he didn't have much for teeth lol

Congrats on an awesome bull!
    SAVE A BUCK--SHOOT AN OUTFITTER

Default Sweet

Thats a dandy elk for sure. Welcome to the forum. More of a small town feel here. Lots of good hunters though.
    DB

Thanks for sharing your hunt.
    Elite bows, Vortex Binos, Trophy Taker sights, Carter releases, Goldtip Arrows. CBE sights, Vapor Trail Strings, B Stinger stabilizers

Nice bull, thanks for sharing.. congratulations.
    Mike "Javi" Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Boone View Post
    Thats a dandy elk for sure. Welcome to the forum. More of a small town feel here. Lots of good hunters though.
    DB

Thanks for sharing your hunt.
    Yeah i like the forum. And thanks everyone for the welcome and congrats. It was my 7th bull with the bow, I've also taken one cow on the last day of season when the bull wouldn't present himself.

great bull and thats what i love about our great state

great bull...........great pics