You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
    Senior Member rdnkgrl_robinhood's Avatar

Default Can some one tell me how to check the drawlength

Hey there fellas..

I was just wondering if someone could please tell me how to get an accurate measure of drawlength of a specific bow. Can I just nock an arrow and measure from string to riser? And if so, am I measuring to front or rear of the riser?

Just currious..

rdnkgrl

I think you can get close by measuring from fingertip to fingertip and then dividing by 2.5 but of course this is just a ball park figure although some guys go by this when purchasing a new bow. Or you can make a fist put your knuckles against a wall or door jam with a slight bend in your elbow and look at the wall or jam as if you were holding a bow and aiming then have a friend measure from the point between your thumb and index finger to the point just below your shooting eye. Best bet is to go to a pro shop and have them measure you. I'll bet Dustin or one of the guys at Gander can hook you up.
    Last edited by BowhuntnHoosier; 12-10-2006 at 12:26 AM.

"HONDA"

I think shes after the dl of the bow itself, not herself.... I think you can draw the bow, and mark the arrow at the center of the hole on the riser, the one that you attatch the rest with, then let down, and mesure the lenth from the string groove on the nock, to your mark, I think thats the proper way, but im not real sure, anyone else have any info on this????????????

OH crap....sorry I misunderstood its late and I'm going to bed now. Good night all, sweet dreams.

"HONDA"

Quote Originally Posted by BowhuntnHoosier View Post
    OH crap....sorry I misunderstood its late and I'm going to bed now. Good night all, sweet dreams.
    It happens all the time , you get a purty girl in here and you just get all flustered

Quote Originally Posted by bullspotter View Post
    I think shes after the dl of the bow itself, not herself.... I think you can draw the bow, and mark the arrow at the center of the hole on the riser, the one that you attatch the rest with, then let down, and mesure the lenth from the string groove on the nock, to your mark, I think thats the proper way, but im not real sure, anyone else have any info on this????????????
    don't forget to add 1 3/4 to that to get the amo draw

Please Lord don't let me be the smart one on here....

Quote Originally Posted by ib4hoyt View Post
    It happens all the time , you get a purty girl in here and you just get all flustered
    Yep, especially when you take a purty girl and she likes archery. Thanks for the hug buddy I needed it.

"HONDA"

Yep Ole smart one thats how its done

Measure true draw then add 1.75" for AMO draw length

Don't worry Riff Raff...You'll dumb down like the rest of us eventually...

I read this last night and slept on it. The proper way to measure a bow's actual draw length is t measure from the nock position on the string to the deepest part of the grip (at full draw) and add 1 3/4". The problem with this is how do you measure to the deepest part of the grip when your hand is in the way? Well, I came up with an idea in my sleep.

First off, use a bow square or ruler to measure the brace height; string to deepest part of the grip. Then move up the string to where the arrow would nock and use this same measurement to put a pencil mark or such on the riser were the rest mounting hole is. In other words if the brace measures 7" at the grip you mark where 7" is where the rest mounts. Then draw the bow with an arrow and mark the arrow where it lines up with your pencil mark. Measure this and add 1 3/4". That would be the most accurate way.

Measuring to the rest mounting hole is usually close, but not all holes are drilled straight up from the grip. Wouldn't this be a nice thing to mention to the ATA and make it a standard?

Mark your arrow where it sits on the rest. If a drop away is used, raise it before marking. Draw the bow and mark again where sits on the rest. Measure between the marks. Measure brace height (string to throat of grip). Add these measurements together, and add 1 3/4" to get AMO draw length.
    Example: 19" between marks on arrow, 8" brace height, 1 3/4" = 28 3/4" draw length.
    "Could you guys be quiet. My dad's trying to shoot."
    BowTech........Refuse To Follow.

Quote Originally Posted by BowhuntnHoosier View Post
    Yep, especially when you take a purty girl and she likes archery. Thanks for the hug buddy I needed it.
    You guys kill me.. Thank all of you for your help..
    Honestly I guess I just had never put much thought towards it. The fellas at the bow shop did measure me and said "this is whatcha need" and they handed it to me fixed up.. But I dont think they ever actually told me what my draw length should be or what they set the bow to.. But they must know their stuff cuz I'm shootin' the heck out of this bow..

rdnkgrl

Quote Originally Posted by rdnkgrl_robinhood View Post
    Honestly I guess I just had never put much thought towards it. The fellas at the bow shop did measure me and said "this is whatcha need" and they handed it to me fixed up.. But I dont think they ever actually told me what my draw length should be or what they set the bow to.. But they must know their stuff cuz I'm shootin' the heck out of this bow..

rdnkgrl
    why would you shoot your bow, was it bad or did it break a leg????
    I cut things up and split them down!

Quote Originally Posted by rdnkgrl_robinhood View Post

rdnkgrl
    If you want to know what draw length you should be shooting, plus or minus a little bit, then measure your wingspan and divide it by 2.5. This should be pretty close. There are always little variables, but for those of us with lots of experience draw length is something that gets tweaked to the last 1/8" to 1/16" . It is that critical to good shooting.

Thanks guys!