You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default questions about stand placement

Hello my fellow hunters,

Im still a little green to the hunting scene. This is my 3rd year to hunt whitetail and I have a few questions about a new stand im considering. When would be the best time to hunt this stand a.m. or p.m., and do you guys think its to close to the bedding area. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
    terry
    Attached Images Attached Images

Where are the food sources?
    Chris Christenson - Admin
    3DShoots.com - Find Archery Shoots near you
    ObsessionArchery.com - Archery Supplies

Default Food

I agree where do you think the deer go to from bedding area! Get on travel corridors between fields and bedding. Find the acorns in the wooded areas for morning hunts and evening hunts.

I like to hunt in the woods like your stand placement shows during morning hunts. I perfer the woodlot edges in the evenings near fields with food sources.

Seems strange those deer would bed close to roads and open woods where your pin shows them bedding. Why would they not bed in the heavy woods?
    DB
    Elite bows, Vortex Binos, Trophy Taker sights, Carter releases, Goldtip Arrows. CBE sights, Vapor Trail Strings, B Stinger stabilizers

Default I got to agree with DB on this one...

What makes you think that is there beding area, from the air it really doesn't look like a likly beding spot. Maybe there is more to it than meets the eye.

Also where are they getting water?

I like to hunt field edges at night and travel routes in mornings.

Put a stand up where you can cover the edge of the field and the line of trees at the same time. Maybe down at the south west edge where the field has the little dog leg.

Well the reason I'm thinking its a bedding area is because twice I've jumped 10 to15 does out of that area in the middle of the day that area is so thick with thorns and shrubs just figured it might be a bedding area I'm hanging my stand in a white oak tree so plenty of acorns for food and to the north is a green nice green field with lots of trails going to it.

Trails you see on the pic are horsebacking trails

Default Bedding

Quote Originally Posted by octanevane View Post
    Well the reason I'm thinking its a bedding area is because twice I've jumped 10 to15 does out of that area in the middle of the day that area is so thick with thorns and shrubs just figured it might be a bedding area I'm hanging my stand in a white oak tree so plenty of acorns for food and to the north is a green nice green field with lots of trails going to it.
    Not unusual for deer to bed where they can see others aproachng. White oaks are the place to be.
    DB
    Elite bows, Vortex Binos, Trophy Taker sights, Carter releases, Goldtip Arrows. CBE sights, Vapor Trail Strings, B Stinger stabilizers

Thanks guys for the input will let you know how it go's

I would set up in the strip of woods between the trails and the cut field. that way anything traveling between the two larger patches of woods have to pass you. especially as the rut heats up that is where i would go.

I agree but I'm hunting on public land and there is a buffer distance between hunting land and private property but thanks for the input

I would not hunt there. Didn't you see that crop prism? The aliens even rolled the grass up into short cylinders.

Quote Originally Posted by jim p View Post
    I would not hunt there. Didn't you see that crop prism? The aliens even rolled the grass up into short cylinders.
    thanks for the heads up i was wondering what all those lights were the other morning. lol

Stand placement can be difficult at times. You should not just go put a stand out because looks good. Just because it looks good on the map does not mean it actually has deer there.

Get you at least 1 decent trailcam scout the area look for sign footprints scrapes, rublines dropings and most important food source. Let it sit there for a week and go check it you will be able to pattern what time's they are moving. If you do not get anything on the camera move it to another location. I did this for 1 month before bow season I moved the camera to 1 place a week. Out of 3 spots 2 had deer movement. Opening weeking I stuck to 2 big does killed a bobcat missed a cayote. The guys in the club were shocked they are asking me all kind of questions. You must work for it put your time in. Sometimes you hit the nail on the head sometimes it just falls apart.

Look for the trails the deer use some areas its easy some its very hard.
    The best time I have found to scout is after a good rain. We have been having a very bad drought here so I found sign of a logging road. The area I am hunting I thought it did not look good. I put the trail cam out and I was supprised I have seen deer there every weekend.

I have moved one of my stands 3 times to position myself now I am right where I want to be.

If you are just starting I would get a good comfortable climbing stand so you can move around. Comfort is everything. If you are cramped up in a cheap stand made for wallmart you will not be able to sit for long periods of time. You will be constantly readjusting yourself.
    Treewalker is a great stand I can hunt for long periods.

When scouting be as quiet as possible and scentfree. If you come to some very dense areas and see tracks heading in that direction that is probably their bedding areas.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the input gives me alot to think about I have been wanting to put a trail cam out but its on public land and if game warden finds it he will take it. But might just have to take my chances.

this spot is a keeper had 2 does, 1- 7point probably year and a half old and a spike all within bow range this morning hopefully can put some meat in the freezer next weekend.