You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Thread: Arrow Choice ?

Default Arrow Choice ?

This is for my Daughter: She is a Brand new Archer
    Want to stay Aluminum, target shooting only.
    Parker Buckshot, 6" brace height
    26" draw, so probably 27.5" arrow
    No overdraw
    30lb.
    Will start out finger shooter, but then go Release.
    Will an 1813 or 1913 be a good choice ?
    What grain tip should she use ?

Thanks
    Sterling

Quote Originally Posted by hylander View Post
    No overdraw
    30lb.

Thanks
    Sterling

Why are you staying w/aluminum??? kids are tuff on arrows and i feel carbon is a much better choice and you can find them pretty cheap these days.....aluminums bend too easy and kids can bend them pretty easy.....
    I cut things up and split them down!

I won't shoot with Carbons , so I will not let her.
    I do not trust them, I have heard to many Horror storie's of them breaking and cuasing injury. Have personally talked to a few guys that have had this happen and have broke several myself, some quit easily.
    I know everyone always says it is because the guy shooting them did not check them for damage properly. I do not want to have to check arrows every time me or my daughter shoot them.
    I have never had to worry about Aluminums. If a Carbon cracks you have to toss it, hopefully you find the crack before it finds you.
    With Aluminums they bend, if not to bad you straighten them and keep on going. I have confidents in Aluminum.
    Anyway just my experiance & feelings on the two.

alluminums 3 dozen per year......
    Carbons 6 total arrows a year....

thats the diference for me.....but you do what makes you feel good.....

I totally understand what you mean. It took me several years to decide to try out some carbons and the safety of a child is of upmost importance.

Go to easton site and run her bow it will give you what info you need. Good luck and have fun. Here is the link http://www.eastonarchery.com/

"HONDA"

Well I got her a half dozon XX75 1913

wow! I'm new to archery & haven't heard of this exploding carbon arrow thing. How often does this thing happen? Is it normaly on the higher poundage bows? You see since I've gotten involved in archery I've also gotten my wife & daughter into it too. I'd hate to have anything like that happen to them or even myself. Is there a site to get this kind of information?

Quote Originally Posted by olman View Post
    wow! I'm new to archery & haven't heard of this exploding carbon arrow thing. How often does this thing happen? Is it normaly on the higher poundage bows? You see since I've gotten involved in archery I've also gotten my wife & daughter into it too. I'd hate to have anything like that happen to them or even myself. Is there a site to get this kind of information?

if we figure all the carbon arrows that have been sold ever and then add up all the injures from them......I dont know I would have to bet that the percetage would be very very small......

Hey Chris how many injuries from carbon arrows have you heard about or seen that came from carbon arrows.....

Just make sure you buy arrows that are made for your poundage and flex your arrows after every shot when you pull them if you notice any cracks or marks on them then I like to err on the safe side and put them in a pile. Although exploding carbon arrows do not happen often all it takes is one time to say darn I wish I had checked those arrows before shooting. I do not blame anyone for being a little cautious of this possible accident.

"HONDA"

seen one break and go through the left hand of a guy at the range.... ouch
    now why did that happen... he was wanting to save money so he bought arrows from a sporting good place.... they were a little to short and under splined for his bow and yep 1st shot at the range whack.....
    i have hit a few and caused damage but as stated earlier if you flex and check if shooting tight groups you will be fine.....

in Dixie Home of the Brave and land of the Free

Quote Originally Posted by hylander View Post
    No overdraw
    30lb.

Thanks
    Sterling

Good chioce I think they make a 75 gr nib for those
    of course you can grind off some of tha nib ta make it lighter.

wiegh each one ya greind to tha same size.

Switchback xt BYC LOOP- SHOOT NOW56# 385gr 2312 Eclipse 100gr Muzzy 256fps SEPTER RANGER STRINGS, 4th axis,335 jammers @ 61# =285 fps

Default Arrows!

I love my alluminum to,old school.
    But i switched to carbon in the past 10years.
    I am leary of aluminum carbon composite, i watched an ACC shaft explode out of a high poundage bow,no one was hurt but you should have seen the arrow!
    I stick with 100% either carbon or graphite!
    I dont like any kinda of arrow that if composite!

I still use XX75 eastons, 2213
    And to answer to your other question: 1913
    If you need some alluminum arrows made up with Feathers or wrap combos,shoot me a pm.
    I just got in 5 dozen XX75 2213 & 2-100pk 4inch white gateway feathers,I could cut you a half doz.or so!
    kbohunt

Bows,07PSE,MOJO-3D,05Flash
    Arrows..beman ICS hunter
    SURE-LOCK sights..Extreme scopes..TT rest
    FBSA-MEMBER
    Wheely Custom Quivers & Poston Stab's..Made in The U.S.A

I love my beman carbons.I had one break about a year ago.upon inspection it had been nicked by another arrow and damaged,I didn't catch it. Thankfully no-one was hurt.

Site Guru

I like my carbons very very much. Everyone that I know that used to shoot aluminums has changed unless they are using it for a specific purpose (ie: Jay Are and his pretty blue arrows)

Really the durability is nowhere near what it is on carbon arrows. I've broken lots of both and the Aluminums take a lot less to be rendered unusable.
    No I'm not dead

Quote Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
    I like my carbons very very much. Everyone that I know that used to shoot aluminums has changed unless they are using it for a specific purpose (ie: Jay Are and his pretty blue arrows)

Really the durability is nowhere near what it is on carbon arrows. I've broken lots of both and the Aluminums take a lot less to be rendered unusable.

If you’re shooting aluminums: "Doesn’t hit foam -- doesn't go home!"

I like my Cobalts! I think they shoot great when I guess yardage correctly, don't torque the bow, not windy or anchor properly!

I understand your concern, but it is probably more likely that your daughter will be hit by lightning then have a carbon arrow explode out of a 30lb bow......

What about strings, limbs and risers exploding??? I hear more about that then I do arrows blowing apart.
    Pathfinder Arrow Wraps

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Are View Post
    If you’re shooting aluminums: "Doesn’t hit foam -- doesn't go home!"

I like my Cobalts! I think they shoot great when I guess yardage correctly, don't torque the bow, not windy or anchor properly!
    Love the Cobalts.

Olman, I am gonna give you a piece of advice. If you are gonna worry about every horror story you read on archery forums, you might as well give up the sport now.

Have carbons exploded??? Sure. More times than not, it is because someone was shooting a weak spine or the arrow was damaged before they shot it. Risers have snapped in half, strings have mysteriously broken, and limbs have shattered at full draw. Everyone knows someone that knows someone that saw some guys equipment fail. You will hear those types of stories more than you will hear it from the source. This leads to the misconception that these things happen a lot. They don't. If you use the equipment like it is intended to be used and ensure it isn't damaged, you will be fine. If your equipment is in good condition and you are using it properly, then you are more likely to be in a plane crash then have a life threatening archery accident..
    Pathfinder Arrow Wraps

Quote Originally Posted by jcmorgan31 View Post
    Olman, I am gonna give you a piece of advice. If you are gonna worry about every horror story you read on archery forums, you might as well give up the sport now.

Have carbons exploded??? Sure. More times than not, it is because someone was shooting a weak spine or the arrow was damaged before they shot it. Risers have snapped in half, strings have mysteriously broken, and limbs have shattered at full draw. Everyone knows someone that knows someone that saw some guys equipment fail. You will hear those types of stories more than you will hear it from the source. This leads to the misconception that these things happen a lot. They don't. If you use the equipment like it is intended to be used and ensure it isn't damaged, you will be fine. If your equipment is in good condition and you are using it properly, then you are more likely to be in a plane crash then have a life threatening archery accident..
    Well said...