You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Thread: New York

Hybrid View

Default New York

I dont know how many of you are from the southren zone of N.Y. but I was wondering what ever body thinks about them swithcing from shotgun to rifle??? I personally think its a bad idea. I think the reason there are some nice bucks at least in Stueben county where I hunt is becuase your distance you can shoot is limited. Also I think there is going to be a lot of dead flat landers on the state lands .

Site Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ridgewalker243 View Post
    I dont know how many of you are from the southren zone of N.Y. but I was wondering what ever body thinks about them swithcing from shotgun to rifle??? I personally think its a bad idea. I think the reason there are some nice bucks at least in Stueben county where I hunt is becuase your distance you can shoot is limited. Also I think there is going to be a lot of dead flat landers on the state lands .
    I'm not from NY but to be honest with the shotguns that they have now and the rifled slugs that they have a shotgun is easily accurate to 200+ yards. Not sure how wide open your area is but around here 200+ yard shots are pretty rare unless your hunting a huge corn field
    No I'm not dead

southern zone of NY......?????.......no rifles??????......What you talkin about willis......I hope the game warden doesnt ever come over here to Ulster.....cuz everybody and there mother uses rifles.....shotgun in dutches and a few spots in schoharie but other than that its rifle country.....remington country.....
    I cut things up and split them down!

Default Shot gun

I know there are two counties that have switched to rifle but I am pritty sure that most of the southren zone NY is shotgun. I dont know much about the south east tip of NY that your in. Where I hunt its the south west corner of NY. its shot gun.
    Last edited by ridgewalker243; 12-19-2006 at 08:25 AM.

Most of the areas around me anyway are open to all firearms......and we dont have a rifle or shotgun or firearms season.....we have Regular season....so any legal hunting implement....bow, muzzleloader, shotgun, rifle, hand gun, dodge, ford, chevy......

I know there are two counties that have switched to rifle but I am pritty sure that most of the southren zone NY is shotgun. I dont know much about the south east tip of NY that your in. Where I hunt its the south west corner of NY. its shot gun.
    Southern zone is about 50/50...
    I'm in the south east...It's almost all rifle here except for Dutchess, Putnam and Rockland Co's (shotgun)and Westchester Co.(archery only)
    I prefer rifle to shotgun, but that's me...

I think they should extend the season into January...

Quote Originally Posted by brokenarrow View Post
    Southern zone is about 50/50...
    I'm in the south east...It's almost all rifle here except for Dutchess, Putnam and Rockland Co's (shotgun)and Westchester Co.(archery only)
    I prefer rifle to shotgun, but that's me...

I think they should extend the season into January...
    we need to shorten the season or something.....let the deer herd get back to good numbers.....

Quote Originally Posted by BOWMAN View Post
    we need to shorten the season or something.....let the deer herd get back to good numbers.....
    Numbers Smumbers....I need more time to hunt!!!!