You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default Need help choosing Handheld release ?

I'm wanting to try a Handheld release.
    I have always used a Wrist Caliper but it always seems in the way.
    This will be for target and hunting. I like the Idea of the thumb release with the caliper head like Tru Ball "T-Handle Thumb"
    But I no nothing about Handheld release's.
    What would be a good choice, I would hate to end up owning a dozen models
    trying to find one that works.
    HELP

Senior Member rdnkgrl_robinhood's Avatar

Well maybe if the pro shop close to you actually carries the release you're looking for then maybe they will let you try it before you buy it... You really never know till ya get it in your hand.. feel it.. shoot it.. Better to try it first. Or maybe you know someone that has a couple different types of releases. Try them all then make a choice based on what you have tried, liked and/or didnt like about the different styles.

Local Pro Shop is probably a good place to start looking. See what they have and try some. Carter makes a bunch. I have small hands and for that reason I like the Cascades made by Spott Hogg. If you shoot with a string loop their Saturday Night Special is supposedly something "special".

The best thing is to try a lot of them and don't get in a hurry.

That's what I did was try some. My shop was more than happy to let me shoot the ones they carried. I finally settled on a Carter Solution 3, which I bought from the online store here. It fit my hand good and it converts between a thumb trigger and back-tension release with a safety so in case I want to try that some day all I need to do is remove 1 screw. The second one in the running was a TRU-Ball thumb trigger caliper release, but was not as adjustable or flexible as the Carter. It was comfortable to hold in my hand though.

Good luck...

Ron

I agree with above, you need to go try some to find the one you like and the one that fits you best.

Site Guru

I LOVE the Tru Pro-Diamond thumb release. I like it so much I lost my first one and bought another one!

I must say I greatly perfer the Caliper head over the talon head and I also like the older models that have the round thumb release as opposed to the diamond shaped ones
    No I'm not dead

Quote Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
    I LOVE the Tru Pro-Diamond thumb release. I like it so much I lost my first one and bought another one!

I must say I greatly perfer the Caliper head over the talon head and I also like the older models that have the round thumb release as opposed to the diamond shaped ones
    Yeah, I tried a TRU Ball Pro Diamond and it was really nice. It had the caliper head on it lilke the Tornado, which I already own. I went with the SOlution 3 since I wanted to try a back-tension relase but didn't want to make the commitment just yet. That release works really well for me so far. I have not had the guts to switch it to back-tension yet... Maybe in a few more weeks as I get used to it as a thumb release. In back-tension mode you still have to 'release' it using the thumb trigger. So, I figure I'd just keep practicing with it as a thumb release and the back-tension will be the next logical step.

Ron