You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Thread: Need Advise

Just Another Newb

Default Need Advise

Long story short, I got yet another invite to bow hunt some pretty good land and its been irking me.

As soon as I can (hopefully as soon as everybody gets their presents) I am going to find a bow and start getting ready for next years season.

My dilemma is; I am right handed, shoot right handed, but am left eye dominant. My vision is better with my left eye. I am too set in my ways to shoot a rifle or shotgun lefty. I have a piece of electrical tape on my shooting glasses so that I can shoot both eyes open.

So, should I look into shooting a bow lefty or go right handed? I haven't done much bow shooting minus a little as a kid.

Thanks,
    Ryan

edit: how I pulled off setting my email as my user name is beyond me. FAIL
    Last edited by rduchateau2954@yahoo.com; 11-17-2010 at 10:31 PM.

Default eye

I would go left handed . If this is your dom. eye you will be able to shoot with both eye's open.I'm in the same boat, but can't shoot left handed because of a bad finger on my left hand.I have to wear a blinder! You all ways go with your dom. eye.I have been shootind 3d's and hunting for 32 years.Well not 3d's when I started the target's where paper glued to cardboard.I'm new to this site so I would also like to say hello!

As you mentioned, you haven't done a lot of shooting, so is it learning or re-learning? But I would definately make the switch to southpaw, you may be able to get around shooting lefty by using Spexcialty Archery's super peeps with a clairfier or verifer ( differnt lenses for differnt corrections ) and that a lot cheaper that a new bow. If you don't have the bow yet, go lefty!
    Visit our web site
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    2 06 Martin Slayers, 63 & 55#s Nitrous C X QuikTune 3000s and HHA OL 5519s on both.
    04 Martin Cougar Elite Nitrous C X Quiktune 1000

I have the same eye issue. I have been bow hunting for several years and shooting in the back yard for a few more. All this shooting righty. I have tired some lefty bows at pro shops but they fell wrong. I would go with the lefty if I were you.

Scent free & sittin High vortec 1's Avatar

Default Lefty

I'm the oppisite, a lefty that shoots right. I have three Boys which are all lefties, two shoot right and one shoots both right and left and has killed deer with both.But it's always recommended,to figure out your dominant eye and go with that.I would go with the lefty bow.
    HIGH COUNTRY SPEED PRO X10 "SPEED KILLS",HHA site,Carbon force Mayhem/Easton Fat Boy Arrows,Alpine quiver,TM hunter and Swhacker Broadheads.

Quote Originally Posted by rduchateau2954@yahoo.com View Post
    Long story short, I got yet another invite to bow hunt some pretty good land and its been irking me.

As soon as I can (hopefully as soon as everybody gets their presents) I am going to find a bow and start getting ready for next years season.

My dilemma is; I am right handed, shoot right handed, but am left eye dominant. My vision is better with my left eye. I am too set in my ways to shoot a rifle or shotgun lefty. I have a piece of electrical tape on my shooting glasses so that I can shoot both eyes open.

So, should I look into shooting a bow lefty or go right handed? I haven't done much bow shooting minus a little as a kid.

Thanks,
    Ryan

edit: how I pulled off setting my email as my user name is beyond me. FAIL
    I did that once on a predator calling board, I contacted the moderator and plead stupidity, and because I had very few post, he changed it for me, so you might pm Chris and get him to help you out.
    Visit our web site
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    2 06 Martin Slayers, 63 & 55#s Nitrous C X QuikTune 3000s and HHA OL 5519s on both.
    04 Martin Cougar Elite Nitrous C X Quiktune 1000

Archery field tester

Hello, and welcome to this site, post often.

I would switch to lefty. My step father has the same issue as you and he couldnt bring himself to shooting lefty so I had him try a eye patch. It works great and I was surprised he didnt mind it. He wears it hunting as well but he keeps it flipped up and then flips it down when he needs to do some killin. If he was talking to you he would tell you just to use an eye patch