You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1

    Default Getting back into Archery - Need help to choose best options

    Hi,

    I am in my 30's and I am just getting back into archery. I used to shoot back in my mid teens and was never very good as there was only a local club that essentially let us shoot and there was almost no instruction past helping us buy a beginners bow.

    Anyway, I am looking to get back into archery. My main purpose is for general club shooting (indoors or outside) to learn and have fun and might use it for hunting later on (I have no intent on buying more than one bow).

    My draw length is just past 26". I am pretty strong so a 50 to 70 # draw weight would be ok for me. I dont particularly like pure camo colored/style bows - I prefer a black smoke, black smoke camo color or similar ...

    I want a bow that shoots at a very good speed, has to be light (less than 4 pounds) and I prefer a overall height/length of around 30 inches or so (give or take). I want pretty quiet and a good site (I saw one at Pro Bass Pro shop with a little light that helped light up the 3 or 4 site points on it. Good comfortable grip of course. Right handed with bubble level and a good rest.

    My questions are about what bow manufacturer is the better choices? There are so many!

    There is:
    PSE (Precision)
    Martin Archery
    Mathews
    Bowtech
    Bear
    Diamond
    and more of course.

    Then from there there is the specific bow type from the specific manufacturer.

    My budget is from $400 to $800. I cant really justify a +$1000 bow at this point.

    I have already looked at many bows and like some of them for different reasons but each manufacturer has so many little differences ....

    So please any help in choosing a good bow that suits my needs and budget would be great (draw length, size, lightness, color and style) and then from there the options for them like the quiver, rest, sight, etc.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Member kleve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Vincennes Indiana
    Posts
    54

    Default

    I love my bear truth 2 darkhorse its blacked out, i have a copper john deadnuts mark iii micro adjust, qad drop away rest beeman ics hunter arrows, truglo stabilizer, i love my setup its a great shooting bow cant go wrong with the mathews z7 either, the hoyt crx35 is a pretty kick ass bow as well.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    minnesota
    Posts
    82

    Default

    I suggest the BowTech Assassin. For $600, minus arrows, you would be ready to shoot. Nice bow for the $.
    Proudly representing BowTech, Oak Ridge Archery, Vaportrail, Gold Tip, Dead Center Archery Products and CNC slings for the 2012 season

  4. #4
    Member kleve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Vincennes Indiana
    Posts
    54

    Default

    look on huntersfriend.com you can buy complete packages that include arrows and broadheads, go bear, i would avoid bowtech and diamond because they are now made in mexico

  5. #5
    EastOutfitters elkslayer4x5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Lane County, Oregon
    Posts
    289

    Default

    Martins are built in Washington state, and have some of the best customer service in the biz, and fit right into your buget Check out the Silencer, am reading a lot of new owners on the martintech board wiht nothing but rave reviews for this bow.
    Visit our web site
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    2 06 Martin Slayers, 63 & 55#s Nitrous C X QuikTune 3000s and HHA OL 5519s on both.
    04 Martin Cougar Elite Nitrous C X Quiktune 1000

  6. #6
    Senior Member broken arrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Machesney Park
    Posts
    159

    Default

    All you listed are good bow manufactures. With your price range you should have no trouble finding one you like. Shoot as many of them as you can before you make a choice. I shoot a lower draw weight because I like to shoot alot of arrows. Something to keep in mind. Todays bows you don't loose a whole lot of speed when you drop the draw weight.
    Bowtech Sniper 55lb 29" draw
    Easton ST Excell 400 with blazers, 100 grain field point
    True ball fire ball release, Octane 7" stabilizer, hostage capture rest, Spot Hogg Hunter sight

  7. #7
    Senior Member broken arrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Machesney Park
    Posts
    159

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kleve View Post
    look on huntersfriend.com you can buy complete packages that include arrows and broadheads, go bear, i would avoid bowtech and diamond because they are now made in mexico
    I own a bowtech and 2 diamonds. Model years 2009 to 2011 all made in the USA. If I where you I would not throw out claims that are not true. Where did you get that information.
    Bowtech Sniper 55lb 29" draw
    Easton ST Excell 400 with blazers, 100 grain field point
    True ball fire ball release, Octane 7" stabilizer, hostage capture rest, Spot Hogg Hunter sight

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Tina, Mo
    Posts
    2

    Default

    G5 Primal gfade, black riser fades to camo on limbs. Smooth/fast bow

  9. #9
    Bad 2 the Bone Elkslayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    82

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kleve View Post
    look on huntersfriend.com you can buy complete packages that include arrows and broadheads, go bear, i would avoid bowtech and diamond because they are now made in mexico
    What ????

    Quote Originally Posted by broken arrow View Post
    I own a bowtech and 2 diamonds. Model years 2009 to 2011 all made in the USA. If I where you I would not throw out claims that are not true. Where did you get that information.
    all the way not sure where you get your infor but as far as i know they still are up an running, right where they started..Eugene Oregon.. dont think i live in mexico Fyi I not a fan boy dont even own one

    OP.. best advice is try as many as you can get your hands on.. then make your pic..after all its you that has to shoot it... keep in mind one still needs to out fit a bow once it is bought..sights/ rest/ arrow's it all add's up fast
    good luck
    EastOutfitter Pro Staff Field Tester

    Its all fun & Games. Untill you put that big boy on the ground..
    Now its time to get to work

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    15

    Default

    i am also just getting back in. after shopping for about a year, this is what i came home with. bare bow was 780. everything else was extra and it added up fast. but.... i figured i only am going to buy one so it might as well be the one i want. it is skullz camo which is really cool. ill get pics on here soon.

  11. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    3

    Default

    Age old question, how do I hook up with a manufacturer?

  12. #12
    Archery field tester
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Northern CA
    Posts
    94

    Default

    Hello, and welcome to this site, post often.

  13. #13
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kleve View Post
    look on huntersfriend.com you can buy complete packages that include arrows and broadheads, go bear, i would avoid bowtech and diamond because they are now made in mexico
    They are NOT made in Mexico ! They are made in Eugene, Oregon !
    I agree with buy American. But please - know your facts !!!!

  14. #14
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    West Salem Ohio
    Posts
    9

    Default

    bowtech assassin for 600 is a good deal for a really good shooting bow...i would change out the rest on it and put a good drop rest on it...all those brush rests are junk...no matter what the make..they burn after so many shots leaving your arrow sloping down...other then that its a good setup...

  15. #15
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    West Salem Ohio
    Posts
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kleve View Post
    look on huntersfriend.com you can buy complete packages that include arrows and broadheads, go bear, i would avoid bowtech and diamond because they are now made in mexico
    WOW!!!!!!!! we know what we are talking about!!! Bowtech is made in mexico...LOLOLOL...are you from mexico?????????????????? How would you say BOWTECH IN MEXICO...LOLOLOLOL

  16. #16
    Buckeyes #1 <---- Slippy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Lithopolis Ohio
    Posts
    1,822

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kleve View Post
    look on huntersfriend.com you can buy complete packages that include arrows and broadheads, go bear, i would avoid bowtech and diamond because they are now made in mexico
    .......
    Prostaff of whatever DB uses.

  17. #17
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Morriston, Florida
    Posts
    2

    Default Usa

    I'm in the same boat, getting back into archery after 25 years.... i've been to every archery shop within 60 miles of my town Ocala,Fl..
    Every Diamond and Bowtech I've looked at was made here in USA. Bear, however is now made in china,,,don't know when they changed. they used to be made right up the road from me in Gainesville, Fl.. Their website says China..listed right after the specs, pretty clear. Too bad, I have a old Bear made in Gainesville, great bow, just old.
    But I want something new made here in USA. Thinking about the Diamond Outlaw.

  18. #18
    Guest Carpshooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    westcentral Iowa
    Posts
    13,901

    Talking You've come to the right place !

    I'll get the wagon out for you !

    I shoot Hoyts and they are well made and they are not new bows as some are over 15 years old , as they are well made !

  19. #19
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    21

    Default

    Welcome.

    I'm still fairly new too as I just started shooting last season. After 7 months of no shooting, I hit the 3d course again yesterday and was pleasantly surprised at how un-horrible I shot lol.

    3d is crazy fun...WELCOME!

Similar Threads

  1. Got my 2010 Archery mount back
    By Daniel Boone in forum Bowhunting forum
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 03-01-2011, 03:49 PM
  2. Back yard archery
    By eldermike in forum Beginners Archery Range
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 02-05-2009, 07:49 PM
  3. Getting back into Archery - New to Forum
    By MikeC in forum General Archery Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-02-2008, 09:54 PM
  4. Getting Back into archery
    By Cougar281 in forum Beginners Archery Range
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-28-2007, 12:52 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •