You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Thread: re:Fletchings

Default re:Fletchings

Hello,
    I am getting back into archery and starting to buy the gear needed. Which is the best fletching material for target shooting, feathers or vanes? I will be shooting a compound for the first time and know nothing about their shooting characteristics. The 68" Golden Eagle recurve I used to shoot, the arrows were fletched with feathers and flew well. Now I will be using a release as well as a compound bow and am not sure which to use. Any help will be much appreciated. Thank you.

Kindest regards,

Tim

to you......

fortunatly or unfortunatly there are so many choices today that you really need to fletch up a bunch of different combos and see how they work....

I have found that AAE 4" elite plastifletch has always worked well......I like QuikSpins also.....tried blazers they are also O.K.
    I cut things up and split them down!

First off Welcome Raven4ns...

Like Bowman said there are so many choices you really do have to experiment and see what works best for you... I know some guys that swear by feathers and other that swear by vanes...

in Dixie Home of the Brave and land of the Free

Dittos on the I feel that for the newer bows that vanes are the way to go for a feather will paracute as it travels at the higher speeds. Open an close as it goes. They will wear quicker and are more susceptible to weather ie wet. Just my musings on the subject Holy Smokes

Switchback xt BYC LOOP- SHOOT NOW56# 385gr 2312 Eclipse 100gr Muzzy 256fps SEPTER RANGER STRINGS, 4th axis,335 jammers @ 61# =285 fps

Quote Originally Posted by raven4ns View Post
    Hello,
    I am getting back into archery and starting to buy the gear needed. Which is the best fletching material for target shooting, feathers or vanes? I will be shooting a compound for the first time and know nothing about their shooting characteristics. The 68" Golden Eagle recurve I used to shoot, the arrows were fletched with feathers and flew well. Now I will be using a release as well as a compound bow and am not sure which to use. Any help will be much appreciated. Thank you.

Kindest regards,

Tim
    Howdy Tim to the forum.

When you say target is that indoor 20 yard spots or outdoor 3D??? If you are indoors shooting at spots then I would say feathers or vanes would be fine. But if you will be outdoors shooting 3D then I'd suggest going with vanes. I love my blazer vanes but be careful I believe some classes in 3D do not allow them. Good luck and post up your bow info and some pics if possible.

"HONDA"

Thank you for making me feel welcome. I will be shooting 20 yard targets indoors for now but will look at 3d in the future. I'm looking to buy a Hoyt ProElite or UltraElite in the near future. I shot a recurve many, many moons ago so this will be a different animal when I get it.....lol.
    I think I will start with feathers and most likely get a half doz vanes to try. Once I see how they work for me I will switch to one or the other to simplify things. Thanks again for your suggestions and the warm welcome.

Kindest regards,

Tim

O.k so we didnt help you pick the fletchings maybe we can not help you w/some other things.....

Arrows, release, sight, stabilizer, rest, peep, nocks, to wrap or not to wrap,

the only thing that is certain is GET AN STS.......
    I cut things up and split them down!

Quote Originally Posted by BOWMAN View Post
    O.k so we didnt help you pick the fletchings maybe we can not help you w/some other things.....

Arrows, release, sight, stabilizer, rest, peep, nocks, to wrap or not to wrap,

the only thing that is certain is GET AN STS.......
    Yes we are very good at not helping people with all sorts of things...

Ahahahahah you guys are a riot. I appreciate the input and for your (almost) help......lol. Thanks again guys. Take care.

Tim

After over 3 decades of shooting bows I have my own opinion, just like everybody else. For target shooting I like feathers. They stabilize the arrow quicker and are lighter allowing better FOC. You can shoot em to pieces, ruffle them up, even tear one off completely and the arrow will still shoot well.

Because they are lighter, if you rip one up or off it doesn't throw the balance of the arrow off so much. Heck, I've shot 3D courses already with an arrow that only had one feather on it and it did the job.

If you might be shooting outside in the rain then vanes might be better. A lot depends on how well the bow is tuned in the first place. Some might say vanes are more durable, but your arrow won't shoot as well if you shoot a hole in one or tear it slightly.

So for you it might be Eanie, Meanie, Miney, Moe.

Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    After over 3 decades of shooting bows I have my own opinion, just like everybody else. For target shooting I like feathers. They stabilize the arrow quicker and are lighter allowing better FOC. You can shoot em to pieces, ruffle them up, even tear one off completely and the arrow will still shoot well.

Because they are lighter, if you rip one up or off it doesn't throw the balance of the arrow off so much. Heck, I've shot 3D courses already with an arrow that only had one feather on it and it did the job.

If you might be shooting outside in the rain then vanes might be better. A lot depends on how well the bow is tuned in the first place. Some might say vanes are more durable, but your arrow won't shoot as well if you shoot a hole in one or tear it slightly.

So for you it might be Eanie, Meanie, Miney, Moe.

I agree. I just switched to feathers for indoor as that is what I see most with. If you go outside and over 20 yards, throw on some blazers and you wont lose as much speed at distance. Good luck and welcome...
    Pathfinder Arrow Wraps

Thanks JC for the welcome and the suggestion. I will be shooting feathers indoors and vanes if I decide to shoot outside. Thank you again guys for your help. It is much appreciated.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by jcmorgan31 View Post
    I agree. I just switched to feathers for indoor as that is what I see most with. If you go outside and over 20 yards, throw on some blazers and you wont lose as much speed at distance. Good luck and welcome...