You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
    Senior Member rdnkgrl_robinhood's Avatar

Question Problems with Martin Jaguar and Bad Hand Shock and Lots of Creaking Noise

Hey there everyone. I have had Martin Jaguar since the first week of September. I shoot it a lot and until today I have never had a problem out of it.
    I shot two days ago and everything was perfect. I didnt shoot yesterday at all. Then today I went to the range planning to shoot for a couple hours or so. The first arrow that I shot nearly killed me. The hand shock that I got and the vibrations from the string left a welt on my arm that will be there for some time to come. This was definately out of the norm for my little bow. It is usually a very smooth shooting bow and over all a pretty quiet too. I bet you could have heard that shot from the other side of the shop. It was that bad.
    Anyway I had just bought a new stablizer a 28 inch Cartel. I shot with it the other night and it seemed ok then. But I thought, OK... I will take the stablizer off and see if it was still shooting rough... So I shot another arrow, minus the stablizer.. The sound sounded louder, and the vibration was worse. So I took off the new sight that I put on the other night... Now the bow is bare except for the arrow rest... It was worse yet again.
    So I had one of the bow techs put in on the press to check it out. They took the string off, took the limbs off, checked everything out, and said that everything appeared to be ok. But clearly it isnt ok. The tech took it out back and shot it a few times. Even said he has NEVER shot a bow that kicked like this one just did. So I guess they are going to send it in or something. But I am completely perplexed.
    I take good care of my bow, I wax the string all time, I check the entire bow over before and after every shooting session, I have never dry fired it, and no one other than me has ever shot until today when the tech shot it. I mean I do everything but tuck it in at night. So I have no idea what could have possiblly happened since day before yesterday. And yesterday I didnt shoot at all.
    Someone please help me out here

And the worst of it all is that now I cant shoot

rdnkgrl

It's KARMA...You shouldn't have peeked...We warned you...

but seriously...I have no ideas...hope they get you fixed up quick.

Quote Originally Posted by brokenarrow View Post
    It's KARMA...You shouldn't have peeked...We warned you...

but seriously...I have no ideas...hope they get you fixed up quick.
    LoL.. Karma is kickin my butt... If I have to go a week without shooting I dont know what I am gonna do.. I havent gone more than three days without shooting since I got my first bow back in July of this year. I am now convinced that archery isnt just a hobby its a habbit..And I am hooked.

Hmm... Hope Santa has another bow for me in that bag of his... but I'm not lookin again..

rdnkgrl

in Dixie Home of the Brave and land of the Free

Hey girl, Sometimes the place you screw the stablizer into will work lose on the Martin bows. Check and see if it will move ever soo slightly up and down or turn in it's place. make sure the grips are tight, Did they check the axels for wear. are there axel bushings on this model, they could be worn. Do you have to time the cams, they could be out. Check out the cable gaurd to see if it has slipped or gotten loose. Also could be cracked limbs. Here are some areas to start with . I hope you can locate it with these suggestions. HS

Switchback xt BYC LOOP- SHOOT NOW56# 385gr 2312 Eclipse 100gr Muzzy 256fps SEPTER RANGER STRINGS, 4th axis,335 jammers @ 61# =285 fps

Quote Originally Posted by Holy Smokes View Post
    Hey girl, Sometimes the place you screw the stablizer into will work lose on the Martin bows. Check and see if it will move ever soo slightly up and down or turn in it's place. make sure the grips are tight, Did they check the axels for wear. are there axel bushings on this model, they could be worn. Do you have to time the cams, they could be out. Check out the cable gaurd to see if it has slipped or gotten loose. Also could be cracked limbs. Here are some areas to start with . I hope you can locate it with these suggestions. HS
    I believe he checked the bushings when he checked the bearings. He had the whole cam off the bow and checked it out pretty good. Cable guard was checked, and actually replaced. Where the stablizer connects looked pretty solid but since that was the last new item I placed on the bow, that was first place I started to look. I dont know.. I am completely perplexed.
    I will be calling them first thing on Monday with a new list of suggestions.

thanx
    rdnkgrl

Oh crap sorry to hear this rdnkgrl.

Hmm karma don't know if I buy that or not. Take that bow to Tom at Lonesome Elk and see if he can find anything wrong with it.

Can you shoot Santa's Nova???? May not be the original drug but might just contorl your withdrawls. I hope you get your bow taken care of quickly.

This just goes to show us all that we need to keep a backup bow.

"HONDA"

Quote Originally Posted by rdnkgrl_robinhood View Post
    LoL.. Karma is kickin my butt... If I have to go a week without shooting I dont know what I am gonna do.. I havent gone more than three days without shooting since I got my first bow back in July of this year. I am now convinced that archery isnt just a hobby its a habbit..And I am hooked.

Hmm... Hope Santa has another bow for me in that bag of his... but I'm not lookin again..

rdnkgrl
    its not a habit its an addiction......
    I cut things up and split them down!

Site Guru

Quote Originally Posted by BOWMAN View Post
    its not a habit its an addiction......
    it would be cheaper to just turn to cheap wine

Anyway - I would definitely call Martin, they are known for their excellent service, even with the bow being sent back I would still just give them a call and ask, it can't hurt.

It sounds like something with the limbs to me but I'm just guessing
    No I'm not dead

Quote Originally Posted by BowhuntnHoosier View Post
    Oh crap sorry to hear this rdnkgrl.

Hmm karma don't know if I buy that or not. Take that bow to Tom at Lonesome Elk and see if he can find anything wrong with it.

Can you shoot Santa's Nova???? May not be the original drug but might just contorl your withdrawls. I hope you get your bow taken care of quickly.

This just goes to show us all that we need to keep a backup bow.
    Well actually Tom has it right now. I only had the fella at Gander put it on the press to take the strings down and check the cams. When he couldnt find anything with a quick glance I had him put it all back together and I took it over to Tom.
    Well Tom fired it once or twice and said he had never had a bow shoot that rough before. So he put it in the press, took the strings off, took the cams off, took the limbs off, I mean he took that bow down to nothing.. And he coundnt find anything that looked wrong or out of place. I think he was as preplexed as me. He called his Martin Rep and the rep said it sounded like a crack in riser or limb. So we looked it all over again, and again, and again. And still did not see any visibable areas of distress. But Tom said after puttiing it all back together that although he didnt see anything visible it really isnt safe to shoot. I think altogether he shot it maybe ten times over the course of taking it apart and putting it back together, and taking it apart again and putting it back together. With every shot he took it got worse and worse and worse. He said it could be an internal crack or something. So anyway, he said his rep is coming in on Monday. I cant wait to hear what they have to say.

I feel like a parent with a hurt kid in the critacal care unit or something. I just keep pacing back and forth with sweaty palms, hoping for good news, and expecting bad news.

I dont know anyone that I would rather trust my bow to other than Tom. He knows his stuff. I will be pacing by the phone on Monday, hoping for a good word.

Oh and Santa is a south paw.. And I wouldnt shoot a Nova even it was a righter hander... I have never liked the PSE line very much, and well the Nova isnt exactly high on the list of quality bows.

So, I guess I will sit and wait..

rdnkgrl

Well actually Tom has it right now. I only had the fella at Gander put it on the press to take the strings down and check the cams. When he couldnt find anything with a quick glance I had him put it all back together and I took it over to Tom.
    Well Tom fired it once or twice and said he had never had a bow shoot that rough before. So he put it in the press, took the strings off, took the cams off, took the limbs off, I mean he took that bow down to nothing.. And he coundnt find anything that looked wrong or out of place. I think he was as preplexed as me. He called his Martin Rep and the rep said it sounded like a crack in riser or limb. So we looked it all over again, and again, and again. And still did not see any visibable areas of distress. But Tom said after puttiing it all back together that although he didnt see anything visible it really isnt safe to shoot. I think altogether he shot it maybe ten times over the course of taking it apart and putting it back together, and taking it apart again and putting it back together. With every shot he took it got worse and worse and worse. He said it could be an internal crack or something. So anyway, he said his rep is coming in on Monday. I cant wait to hear what they have to say.

I feel like a parent with a hurt kid in the critacal care unit or something. I just keep pacing back and forth with sweaty palms, hoping for good news, and expecting bad news.

I dont know anyone that I would rather trust my bow to other than Tom. He knows his stuff. I will be pacing by the phone on Monday, hoping for a good word.

Oh and Santa is a south paw.. And I wouldnt shoot a Nova even it was a righter hander... I have never liked the PSE line very much, and well the Nova isnt exactly high on the list of quality bows.

So, I guess I will sit and wait..

rdnkgrl
    Glad to hear Tom is getting it taken care of for you.

Just go to GM and have them set you up a couple of different bows to test and that should help. I was in there the other day and seen the new Truth,the Tec Series,and the new Black Ice. Can't remember who was helping me but he did'nt seem to like Mathews very much but that was ok, because I like all bows................well almost all.

So come on tell me what is Santa's name????? What shift and department????

"HONDA"

I would say that your problem will probably be with the limb and limb pocket at the riser. I'm sure that when this bow was being checked over when it was being draw did someone watch for excessive cam lean or twisting in the limbs. With your setup do you have the bow maxed out with limbs cranked all the way down or are you setup in-between max draw wieght of the bow? If the bow was stripped all down to bare bow and shot and it was still loud and alot of hand shock I would say that the problem has to be with the limbs and limb pockets at the riser. This is just my opinion. Years back before the manufacturing of bows progressed the way they have you would just be asking for problems not maxing out the draw wieght of a bow and shooting it without the limbs tightened all the way down.

Being as I try to shoot daily I realize the withdrawls that you will be going through. With the holidays just around the corner you might be without this bow for more then a week. Well I hope they get it all figured out and keep us posted.Sorry to hear of your trobles.

time to buy a new bow and rotate this one to a back-up.

Glad to hear Tom is getting it taken care of for you.

Just go to GM and have them set you up a couple of different bows to test and that should help. I was in there the other day and seen the new Truth,the Tec Series,and the new Black Ice. Can't remember who was helping me but he did'nt seem to like Mathews very much but that was ok, because I like all bows................well almost all.

So come on tell me what is Santa's name????? What shift and department????
    I think Cory was the one that helped you out. Did he have a cast on his leg or on crutches? I think I remember him talking about you. Anyway, that Black Ice is a smooth bow isnt it?? The Truth seemed to be pretty decent too. The only thing I dont like about either of them is that neither of them felt really good in my hand. Seemed like both of them had very little to hold on to. I mean I guess everyone has a preference.. But still they were nice bows.

Santa works B shift in DVD packaging.. His name is Kirk

rdnkgrl

Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post
    I would say that your problem will probably be with the limb and limb pocket at the riser. I'm sure that when this bow was being checked over when it was being draw did someone watch for excessive cam lean or twisting in the limbs. With your setup do you have the bow maxed out with limbs cranked all the way down or are you setup in-between max draw wieght of the bow? If the bow was stripped all down to bare bow and shot and it was still loud and alot of hand shock I would say that the problem has to be with the limbs and limb pockets at the riser. This is just my opinion. Years back before the manufacturing of bows progressed the way they have you would just be asking for problems not maxing out the draw wieght of a bow and shooting it without the limbs tightened all the way down.

Being as I try to shoot daily I realize the withdrawls that you will be going through. With the holidays just around the corner you might be without this bow for more then a week. Well I hope they get it all figured out and keep us posted.Sorry to hear of your trobles.

time to buy a new bow and rotate this one to a back-up.
    Well the bow is a 50 lb bow, I was shooting it around 48 and the bolts were not overtight. I could have got another turn or two on it, but 48 was good. I am not sure if they looked for twisting or not. All I know is he said everything looked good, and nothing looked out of place. But we will see what happens after Monday..

rdnkgrl

I think Cory was the one that helped you out. Did he have a cast on his leg or on crutches? I think I remember him talking about you. Anyway, that Black Ice is a smooth bow isnt it?? The Truth seemed to be pretty decent too. The only thing I dont like about either of them is that neither of them felt really good in my hand. Seemed like both of them had very little to hold on to. I mean I guess everyone has a preference.. But still they were nice bows.

Santa works B shift in DVD packaging.. His name is Kirk

rdnkgrl
    No it was'nt Cory(no cast or crutches) and it was'nt Dustin I know him. The Truth really looked nice although I've not shot it yet.

So Santa is working tonight. You better stay out of the closet or wherever his hiding place is.

"HONDA"

So Santa is working tonight. You better stay out of the closet or wherever his hiding place is.
    Hmmmm.. maybe Santa has more than one hiding place... I wonder if Santa is hiding a new bow somewhere else.... But.. uhhh.. I'm afraid to look now.. You see what happened the last time..

rdnkgrl