You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: arrow tuning

Default arrow tuning

if you could only tune arrows one way which of these three do you think would be the best . group tuning, spine tuning , or hooter shooter tuning.

Group tuning, walk back tuning, bareshaft tuning

Dan
    Maker of MEANV STRING SUPPRESSORS
    MAITLAND BOW DEALER
    Dealer for Slick Tricks, Vapor Trail Limb Driver & Strings, HHA sights, Viper Sights, etc.
    www.meanvarchery.com

i make a dozen arrows for myself . and try to make them as much the same as possible usually 1 grain difference . then i shoot them with my bow with everything tuned to me . when i put them in the hooter the first round usually ends up with under a 2 inch group at 23 yards if i dont find a real bad arrow . when i get done all arrows cut one hole probably around 3/8 group . then i shoot them at 38 yards keeping them under a inch . do you think the ways you mention builds a more consistent arrow ? we went to a shoot this year and had guys challenge us to a beer shoot . my arrows and my staff shooters arrows are done the same . now this was a good day will never say it happens every day . but my partner put 4 out of 6 shots and i put 5 out of 6 shots in a beer can at 95 yards . and i beleive it was mostly do to the way the arrows were tuned allowing us to keep that tight of group at that distance .dont know if hes still on here but one of the people that shot against us is on this forum .

When I build my arrows I get them as close in weight as I can, put number on them and start shooting. I shoot each arrow at the same spot for a couple of games. It doesn't take long to pick out the arrows that don't fly the same as the rest. They will group just alittle above the X or to one side of the X. When I find one or two that group off the X I turn the knock and start again. I do this intil it falls in line or I change the knock out, this usually takes care of the problem but if it don't I spin test, change the tip, refletch, and if all that fails I simply break it in half and throw it away.

You put 5 out of 6 arrows in a beer can at 95 yards and your asking us about tunning??? I think what ever you have been doing in the past is working for you and I wouldn't change a thing.

Default Tuning arrows

There is a very interesting product that just came out called the Velocitip. It is an electronic field point that allows you to measure your velocity, kinetic energy, momentum and drag coefficient at launch and impact. Its marketed as a ballistic measurement system, and looks to have excellent potential for establishing the best set up for a specific bow. Check it out for more details.
    www.velocitip.com

Quote Originally Posted by tmdegraw View Post
    There is a very interesting product that just came out called the Velocitip. It is an electronic field point that allows you to measure your velocity, kinetic energy, momentum and drag coefficient at launch and impact. Its marketed as a ballistic measurement system, and looks to have excellent potential for establishing the best set up for a specific bow. Check it out for more details.
    www.velocitip.com
    You know I'm pretty annal about my equipment and the gagets to make them better, but really isn't that alittle over the top?

If the arrows are going to the X when you have a good shot, and anybody that shoots a fair amount knows a good shot when they shoot it, is all that needed to tune a bow and arrow?

no sir im not asking you how to tune arrows . im asking what you think is the best way . but not everyone is going to pay over 1200.00 dollars on a tuner . if i was asked what i perferred i would go with the hooter . it doesnt get tired when shooting and sometimes i get a batch 6 plus arrows that i can get to go exactly through the same hole . be like a guy coming close to 6 robin hoods in a row . i shoot well for a old man but but at 20 yards if a arrow hits a 1/4 inch from another one is it me or the arrow i dont know .the other ways work well but i dont know if there as exact . would like to have someone come in that done there arrows there way and put them in the machine and see what happens . thing is up here there very few of those guys . all of the guys i go to shoots with shoot long distances not one of us is a spot shooter so were not into the 20 yard grouping like alot of you .ive had the range 8 years and for the last 3 ive tried a 5 spot tourny . best ive ever done is 8 shooters so i dropped it this year .just to clarify the arrow that didnt hit the can that day went in the eye bolt that was holding the can but they wouldnt give it to me . but like i said we had a good day wont happen every day but we will try .
    Last edited by upnorth; 12-29-2010 at 10:54 AM.

In God we trust wilkersonhunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pse 24 View Post
    You put 5 out of 6 arrows in a beer can at 95 yards and your asking us about tunning??? I think what ever you have been doing in the past is working for you and I wouldn't change a thing.
    to that keep doing what youre doing!! great shooting
    truball shooting staff
    2012 pse dreamseason evo 6
    member of the 160" 8ptr club
    [/COLOR]Treelimb quivers best out there
    treelimb quivers and sword sights pro staff

To achieve near perfect arrow to arrow consistency, it's hard to beat the Hooter Shooter or one of the other shooting machines.

I've had arrows that just won't shoot to the same point of impact as the others and I can't find anything different about it except that it doesn't fly the same.

Testing arrows by hand is a very time consuming process compared to the shooting machine.

The Hooter Shooter seems to be the best of the shooting machines, but there is an interesting tread on AT that shows you how to build something very similar for about $160.

If you don't have access to a shooing machine, shooting through paper is probably the second best. However, it will hurt your feelings when you realize that most shots that aren't consistent are due to operator error rather than arrows that are not consistent. I was doing this yesterday and it took quite a bit of shooting to find one arrow that was giving a different tear than the others. Of course this process does double duty in that you can work on improving your bow hand relaxation at the same time.

Of course if you think that a lot of shooting for any reason is a hardship, this is probably not the sport for you.

Allen
    Last edited by Allen; 12-31-2010 at 11:04 AM.

ive shot a lot of arrows over the years . and since ive done my arrows on the machine i never question how one will fly . im 99.9 pct sure that when i miss its me , not my arrows and hardy ever my bow . and i can usually adjust me if thers a problem .

2nd and 3rd shot of 1/1/2011 at 45 yards say there flying pretty good.will say one thing with these victory arrows , the hoods dont go in nowhere as fasr as other arrows ive shot .
    Attached Images Attached Images

Group tune... for me.

Spine tuning....not sure how you do that. But I buy arrows that I know have a consistent spine.

Hooter Shooter....I will NEVER have a Hooter Shooter unless I win the lottery or someone leaves Ms Hornet a ton of money. So I don't worry about that...besides I can pretty much achieve the same results doing it myself. NO I can't shoot as good as a Hooter Shooter can but I can still get pretty much the same results....the groups just won't be as small and it may take a little longer

But then the only real "tuning" from what is mentioned IMO is group tuning.....your not moving anything with the Hooter Shooter at least not by the description given above and I still have no idea what Spine Tuning is

heres a question would you pay to be able to send your arrows off and have them tuned on the hooter shooter .to group in less then a 1 inch . and know which arrows wont group with the rest .

Quote Originally Posted by upnorth View Post
    heres a question would you pay to be able to send your arrows off and have them tuned on the hooter shooter .to group in less then a 1 inch . and know which arrows wont group with the rest .
    I personally wouldn't.....I am sure that people would. But I have never had a problem getting arrows to shoot together.

Nor would I! I have purposely shot arrows in groups from 40 yards fletched different, etc and it always amazes me how good the groups are. Check the important stuff on your arrows, straightness, heads aligned proper, etc and tune your bow.

If you are not a way above normal shooter no use in being anal

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Brown Hornet View Post
    I personally wouldn't.....I am sure that people would. But I have never had a problem getting arrows to shoot together.
    MAITLAND BOW DEALER
    Dealer for Slick Tricks, Vapor Trail Limb Driver & Strings, HHA sights, Viper Sights, etc.
    www.meanvarchery.com

Quote Originally Posted by upnorth View Post
    I wouldn't either. Arrows have never been my excuse for missing. It's always been operator error.

Wouldn't you have to send in your bow also? The arrows may be consistent, but if they aren't tuned to the bow, it's pretty much a waste of money.

Also, the HS doesn't use the same release that I do. I've seen big differences on tuning just by changing from a double jaw caliper to a single jaw caliper.

I think someone has offered this service before, but don't remember the details. Besides, I enjoy messing with my equipment too much to pay someone else to do it.

Allen

Quote Originally Posted by MeanV2 View Post
    Nor would I! I have purposely shot arrows in groups from 40 yards fletched different, etc and it always amazes me how good the groups are. Check the important stuff on your arrows, straightness, heads aligned proper, etc and tune your bow.

If you are not a way above normal shooter no use in being anal

Dan
    Dan,

Last summer, I found eight arrows at a public range. After I checked them over for cracks or other problems I shot them at 20 & 30 yards. These arrows were all different in one way or the other. Different manufacturer, different spine & differnt fletching.

Out to 30 yards there was little difference in point of impact. The only thing that mattered was diameter. Two were a little smaller and they landed lower.

This pretty much convinced me that for a well tuned compound, shot with a release, arrow matching isn't a big issue out to 20 to 30 yards.

Of course I'm as anal as anyone when it comes to my hunting and competition arrows, but not for practice arrows.

Allen

I use several different releases in the off season just kind of like a grab bag selection. I just reach in and grab one!

I do this because I don't want to get used to how a specific release goes off and then develop bad habits, but different releases will definitely cause a different POI.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    Also, the HS doesn't use the same release that I do. I've seen big differences on tuning just by changing from a double jaw caliper to a single jaw caliper.

Allen
    MAITLAND BOW DEALER
    www.meanvarchery.com

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    I wouldn't either. Arrows have never been my excuse for missing. It's always been operator error.

Wouldn't you have to send in your bow also? The arrows may be consistent, but if they aren't tuned to the bow, it's pretty much a waste of money.

I think someone has offered this service before, but don't remember the details. Besides, I enjoy messing with my equipment too much to pay someone else to do it.

Allen
    None of that matters....the bow will be tuned to the arrow. He wouldn't be tuning your bow. The release doesn't matter either....you can shoot 50 different releases your bow and arrow tune isn't changing even though your POI may. You just need to move your sight.

When your tuning your arrows in a Hooter Shooter to hit the same hole all your doing is rotating your nocks to achieve this. If it won't hit then you change the nock or pin. If it still won't then you weed out the arrow. I find that shooting "better" arrows and or building them correctly eliminates the need to weed them out. I can't tell you the last time I had an arrow that I couldn't get to hit with the rest of the shafts....even when I have 2+ doz for field.