You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Question Left or Right hand bow question

I am interested in shooting a bow. I don't have one yet and I've never shot one either. I am 5'4 in fairly good shape. My question is this.....which arm should I hold the bow? I am naturally right handed & right eye dominant (I am a firearms enthusiast and own several guns). I am unable to keep my left arm fully straight due to a childhood injury. When I shoot a slingshot, I hold it with my right hand & pull with my left. Can I do the same with a bow and arrow? Again, due to past injury, my left arm is considerably weaker than my right. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Most right eye, right handed archers will hold the bow in their Left hand.

That puts the dominant eye in line with the sights.

However, this is not a hard & fast rule. If you have problems with your left arm, there is no reason not to shoot a left hand bow which is held in your Right hand.

The main drawback to shooting a left hand bow is that so few shops carry them in any quantity. You may have trouble finding the one you want. This may be even worse for you as you probably have a short draw length too.

Hopefully one of the lefties will chime in with some advice on that.

Allen

I'm right handed but shoot left hand due to dominant eye issue.

You use muscles in archery that you normally don"t use in everyday life, so if your just starting out you can train whatever hand you think would be better for you. My personal feeling is to go with your dominant eye and train your muscles from there.

As far as equipment, yes left handed stuff is harder to come by, such is life.

Quote Originally Posted by Gator eye View Post
    I'm right handed but shoot left hand due to dominant eye issue.

You use muscles in archery that you normally don"t use in everyday life, so if your just starting out you can train whatever hand you think would be better for you. My personal feeling is to go with your dominant eye and train your muscles from there.

As far as equipment, yes left handed stuff is harder to come by, such is life.
    Yeah I was leaning on a right hand bow. I will have to train myself like you suggested. How straight or stiff should your holding arm be? My left arm is much weaker than my right and I can't fully extend it.

I'm Left handed but that does not matter I am right eye dominant so if you are right eye dominant then you will hold the bow in your left hand and pull with the right.

Make sure you do not start out with too much poundage and make sure your draw length is correctly fit to You! Very important.

Enjoy this Great Sport!!

Dan
    Maker of MEANV STRING SUPPRESSORS
    MAITLAND BOW DEALER
    Dealer for Slick Tricks, Vapor Trail Limb Driver & Strings, HHA sights, Viper Sights, etc.
    www.meanvarchery.com

Quote Originally Posted by ramon View Post
    Yeah I was leaning on a right hand bow. I will have to train myself like you suggested. How straight or stiff should your holding arm be? My left arm is much weaker than my right and I can't fully extend it.
    If your shooting left handed, your holding the bow with your right hand and the release is in your left hand. Right hand you grab the bow with your left hand and release in the right.

There is a lot of different feelings on how straight or stiff your bow arm should be. I use a push pull method to set off my release so my bow arm is a active part of my shot. This is not the easiest method for a beginner. i still screw it up on a daily bases and shove a arrow to the side now and again.

For a beginner I would recommend starting with fairly straight bow arm(not Locked) and treat it like it's a board sticking out in front that your drawing against.

And remember it's not about strength. My daughter started shooting when she was 11 and killed her first deer with it when she was 12. She's lucky if she weights 95 pounds soakin wet. Get a bow that you can draw back easily and start shooting, you'll gain the strength in no time.

Thanks for all the input...

I'm LH with firearms and a fork, but RH with a bow.

I'd say go RH due to the fact your "injured" left arm would have to do most of the work on the draw.

Now if it's quite a ways from fully extended, you must go LH. In this instance your DL will be shorter than if you went to RH route.

A couple shots with each using say a 50lb bow and you will know the answer immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by R0CKETMAN View Post
    I'm LH with firearms and a fork, but RH with a bow.

I'd say go RH due to the fact your "injured" left arm would have to do most of the work on the draw.

Now if it's quite a ways from fully extended, you must go LH. In this instance your DL will be shorter than if you went to RH route.

A couple shots with each using say a 50lb bow and you will know the answer immediately.
    Great suggestion....thanks. I shoot my slingshot LH (my right hand holds the thing and my left draws) ever since I can remember. This morning, I tried fully extending my left arm as best I could and I just can't aim or draw as far as when I shoot LH----is this an indication that I have no choice but to go LH? I am planning to try out some bows soon. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by ramon View Post
    Great suggestion....thanks. I shoot my slingshot LH (my right hand holds the thing and my left draws) ever since I can remember. This morning, I tried fully extending my left arm as best I could and I just can't aim or draw as far as when I shoot LH----is this an indication that I have no choice but to go LH? I am planning to try out some bows soon. Thanks again.
    To answer your question, based on the info provided, no.

It's actually a simple answer to your overall problem.

Which has the most negative impact on the draw in general
    Inability to full extend bow arm or inability to hold full draw with arm that is not fully extended?

When you answer that question, then you must conform your shooting to the better of the two. If it happens that your physical limitation governs that you shoot with your non dominant eye, so be it.

and I'll add to that.

but it's Not ideal

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by R0CKETMAN View Post
    If it happens that your physical limitation governs that you shoot with your non dominant eye, so be it.
    Maker of MEANV STRING SUPPRESSORS
    MAITLAND BOW DEALER
    Dealer for Slick Tricks, Vapor Trail Limb Driver & Strings, HHA sights, Viper Sights, etc.
    www.meanvarchery.com