You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Average Cost

Default Average Cost

Hello,
    I've become interested in bow hunting but the overall cost seems a bit high for my taste. I still plan to buy a bow but it might be used strictly for target shooting. I am new to the sport and I'd like to get an idea of the average cost of bowhunting using a compound bow. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Like anything else...you can spend two hundred or you can spend two grand.

a cheap bow will kill a deer just as fast as a high dollar bow, how deep do you want to get?

I'll tell you what I got wrapped up in my bows but I don't want to scare you off.

Got my bow 4 years ago new for $202 at cabelas marked on sale from $275. It was a package deal, all i needed to buy was arrows, points and a release. Spent $300 total and had every thing I needed. Have taken deer out to 35 yards with it. No need to break the bank to get into the sport. I know that both Parker and Martin have bow packages in the $250 to $400 range and they will all kill deer.

I just wrapped up my first year ever bow hunting. Starting from stratch I probably spent around $1500 for (bow,case,tree stand, harness, arrows, broadheads, back pack, binos, range finder, hunting clothes and boots, license& tags, and other things) all my hunting gear. It that figure probably would have been a lot higher. I'll have to say I was blessed to be able to get a lot of my gear on sale. That helped out a lot

There is also the used bow market, you can get a completely set up bow a few years old for a small percentage of new. Lots of good bows made a couple years ago.
    Visit our web site
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    2 06 Martin Slayers, 63 & 55#s Nitrous C X QuikTune 3000s and HHA OL 5519s on both.
    04 Martin Cougar Elite Nitrous C X Quiktune 1000

trophy class deer hunter archeryassasin's Avatar

craigslist and ebay always have nice bows for way less than you would find brand new.

If you're worried about cost then don't even start. You can get a decent used bow, put sight,rest, and all the other goobers on it. Arrows, release, etc. You might get lucky and have $500 in it.

Then you start shooting and need other STUFF like treestands, hunting boots, several sets of camo in different pattern with sets for warm weather and cold weather. The list gets longer.

About this time (couple years) you get the itch for a new bow, accessories, arrows, and such. Newer, better STUFF costs more money. It never stops.

Down a few deer and you find you need a vehicle that doesn't get all messed up with blood and deer hair. There goes 30 grand for a new gas guzzling truck.

Over a period of 40 years, like me, and you've spent enough to have paid off the mortgage. My advice? Pay off the mortgage.
    Martin/Rytera Silver Star Shooter
    UBP Life Member
    PSAA Life Member
    Worldwide Scuba Diver

trophy class deer hunter archeryassasin's Avatar

he's right its an expensive sport but i love it!
    u aint seen country yet!

dont do like i did an get impulsive and by a old bow u dont no anything about and after a few days and $400 u dont like the bow.now 10 yrs later and learning as much as i could about different bows i have 4 bows that i like and shot all of them at different times for different things.i love to shot.even if its just for 10 min.in the back yard.alot of good advice on this website.learn as much as u can before u buy.good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by archeryassasin View Post
    he's right its an expensive sport but i love it!
    It can be if you have to have the new hotness! But take a look at what I'm shooting, there was another Cougar lll Elite, but I gave that one to my son, bought all of them used, bought new items, a Quiktune 3000 and one of the HHA OL's, and still have less than $1000 invested, arrows included.
    Visit our web site
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    2 06 Martin Slayers, 63 & 55#s Nitrous C X QuikTune 3000s and HHA OL 5519s on both.
    04 Martin Cougar Elite Nitrous C X Quiktune 1000

I bought a used bow on Ebay, a Mathews at a fair price. Before you buy any bow, know what poundage you can shoot and your draw length. Find someone who shoots and see if you can handle their bow. Go to an archery shop and have them fit you, course they will want to sell you a bow. Ebay bows are sometimes listed without draw lengths or pondage listed, buy one and you'll be shopping for cams and cam mods that can be expensive.

Talking Here's what I think !

Join or go to an archery club and see if you can try someone's bow as many there own a couple or more bows !

target equipment is generally more expensive than bowhunting when you're just strictly talking about bows, but theres more expenses to it than that. do you have access to private land to hunt or will you have to hunt public. if you join a lease you better rob a bank...

Nothing wrong with buying a peice or 2 here and there when you can...find a reputable bow shop and go from there...tell them you want to get started and are not looking for top of the line...and if you think your gonna get off cheaper by only target shooting, you are sadly mistaken...lol
    I cut things up and split them down!

ii'm not rich to buy a top line of bow & arrow but i can buy what i afford so i buy mine " new " unfired quest qs33 off from AT classifield for under 300 dollar and when i get it mail and i open it and take a look and it NEW and i got all bow set up and all have been bought in AT classfield and ebay and sale from midway USA,
    if u want to do some bowhuntinng or target u might want to check out AT classifield and here classifled to see what bow they want to sell..

for sight you can buy a exterme rt900 for 24.99 from ebay the new worth is like 80 dollar and u would save more money for otherthings like stabilizer or quiver or arrow or anythings u need to start your archery..

always looking for CHEAPER and GOOD QUAILTY ..

Quote Originally Posted by ramon View Post
    Hello,
    I've become interested in bow hunting but the overall cost seems a bit high for my taste. I still plan to buy a bow but it might be used strictly for target shooting. I am new to the sport and I'd like to get an idea of the average cost of bowhunting using a compound bow. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
    If you can afford to shoot at targets then bowhunting is just adding the broadheads and the license. Once you get "into" it, you'll probably go down the fiscal toilet like the rest of us but it really isn't necessary just to hunt.
    FBSA Member

Shooting Edge Technology 09Dreamseason's Avatar

I like the advice for getting fitted for draw length and weight first! Then find a "Ready To Shoot" combination within your budget. PSE Stinger, PSE Brute, Diamond Razor Edge, Parker Blazer, Martin Elite, Bear Charge........all can be purchased for around $400 or less as a Ready To Shoot package from Cabelas and Bass Pro! Buy arrows, fieldpoints, broadheads, release and go hunting........probably around $600 or less for the total package.

You're going to buy camo gear and such whether you're gun hunting or archery hunting and the tree stand and extras are pretty much in the same category. You don't have to have them.......we don't use treestands here in Colorado!

By the time you purchase a rifle, scope, sling, ammo, targets, etc.........you'll have the same amount of money invested! You will have to replace your strings every couple of years though or when they fray or stretch, etc. But those can cost anywhere from $50 from the small companies that are good for the most part and up to about $140 from companies like Winner's Choice who have an impeccable reputation for being some of the best......you get what you pay for in this department no matter what type of bow you shoot!
    '09 PSE X-Force Dream Season GX
    '11 PSE X-Force AXE 7

www.ShootingEdgeTech.com
    www.SaveOutdoorSports.com

Quote Originally Posted by 09Dreamseason View Post
    I like the advice for getting fitted for draw length and weight first! Then find a "Ready To Shoot" combination within your budget. PSE Stinger, PSE Brute, Diamond Razor Edge, Parker Blazer, Martin Elite, Bear Charge........all can be purchased for around $400 or less as a Ready To Shoot package from Cabelas and Bass Pro! Buy arrows, fieldpoints, broadheads, release and go hunting........probably around $600 or less for the total package.

You're going to buy camo gear and such whether you're gun hunting or archery hunting and the tree stand and extras are pretty much in the same category. You don't have to have them.......we don't use treestands here in Colorado!

By the time you purchase a rifle, scope, sling, ammo, targets, etc.........you'll have the same amount of money invested! You will have to replace your strings every couple of years though or when they fray or stretch, etc. But those can cost anywhere from $50 from the small companies that are good for the most part and up to about $140 from companies like Winner's Choice who have an impeccable reputation for being some of the best......you get what you pay for in this department no matter what type of bow you shoot!
    Great advice right here!
    Keep an eye open on the classifieds here as well.

As far as bows go, you can go as cheap as you like or spend an unlimited amount of money between bows and accessories. When I started out, my hubby spent around $200 for my bow, case, arrows, release, sight, rest, peep, exc. I target shoot only and we won't even talk about what I now have invested in the 2 bows I currently shoot lol! Don't want to scare you so soon!

I suggest you go to a archery shop and tell them the price range you want to spend and have them measure you for draw length and lbs. You should shoot some bows to see what you like. If they don't have anything in your price range then at least you will have an idea what you need and like. From there you could purchase a used bow online or as mentioned find a club and maybe one of the members would have a bow to sell you.

My first 2 bows were bought used, both at archery shops. My hubby has bought several used bows and all but one were bought at archery shops. One he bought new off the shelf but it was previous years model (actually a couple years old) and got it for a very good price. It is a Diamond Rock and came with all the accessories he needed. It's his current hunting bow.
    Proudly representing BowTech, Oak Ridge Archery, Vaportrail, Gold Tip, Dead Center Archery Products and CNC slings for the 2012 season

Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    If you're worried about cost then don't even start. You can get a decent used bow, put sight,rest, and all the other goobers on it. Arrows, release, etc. You might get lucky and have $500 in it.

Then you start shooting and need other STUFF like treestands, hunting boots, several sets of camo in different pattern with sets for warm weather and cold weather. The list gets longer.

About this time (couple years) you get the itch for a new bow, accessories, arrows, and such. Newer, better STUFF costs more money. It never stops.

Down a few deer and you find you need a vehicle that doesn't get all messed up with blood and deer hair. There goes 30 grand for a new gas guzzling truck.

Over a period of 40 years, like me, and you've spent enough to have paid off the mortgage. My advice? Pay off the mortgage.
    You only live once and I did all the right things payed off the morgage and all the rest now I'm 45 years old and too stuffed to be really good at the things I always wanted to do!!! Live Once Live Hard and marry a Shelia who aready owns a house !Always marry for Money cause if they got enough CA$H you can always learn to lov'em