You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Thread: The right bow?

Hybrid View

Default The right bow?

Hi everyone, I just thought I'd ask a quick question, I've been wanting to get into 3-D shooting in my area, and I have a High Country bow. Not being an expert, did I buy a good bow for this kind of shooting, or could I have done a little better? I looked into Mathews bows, and even Hoyt, but a friend of mine recommented High country, and I got good information at my local pro shop. I would just like some feed back.

Thanks!!!

Specs to the bow would be more important than the bow brand. For target shooting, you generally want a larger axle-to-axle and higher brace height.

For serious 3D, I like 37" or higher axle-to-axle and a minimum of 7" brace height. 7-1/2" to 8" is better.
    Chris Christenson - Admin
    3DShoots.com - Find Archery Shoots near you
    ObsessionArchery.com - Archery Supplies

Default Thank you Chris

Hi Chris,

Just for my information, why is a longer axle to axle and a 7" brace height or longer better for 3-D shooting? I'm a novice shooter, and would really like to get started in 3-D shooting. I'm just curious on the advantages the axle and brace height give a shooter.

Again, Thank you for responding, and I'll send you my specs when I get a chance.

The longer axle to axle usually gives you a more stable bow. It reduces the amount of bow cant you have when shooting.

The higher brace height is always better. If you shoot something less than 7" you will have a better chance of hitting your arm during the shot.
    Chris Christenson - Admin
    3DShoots.com - Find Archery Shoots near you
    ObsessionArchery.com - Archery Supplies

When you're picking a bow, one of the most important features is the dealer. High Country, Matthews, and Hoyt are all very good products, but not all dealers are. If you're happy with your HC, and you like the shop, sounds like a winner.

Thumbs up

Ok shooter
    If you want to see how your bow will stand up against other bows go to the Hunters Friend site and check out the bow comparison chart.Click on forgiveness,now you can see the easiest to hardest bow to shoot.Notice the brace height and ata on the bows rated at 100% also notice the fps.My bow is rated at 84% and I do very well at 3D's.At least I do if my distance judgement is accurate, which is far more important than the bow you are shooting.I think your bow would be excellent for 3D's
    Regards heavy dart.

Default Thanks for the info!!!

Hey Heavy Dart,

Thank you very much for your info, and your encouragement! I would like to go to your friends site to match my bow against others, would you please send me the link.

Thanks again!

OK shooter

Hi OK shooter
    The web site to compare your to other bows is
    http://www.huntersfriend.com