You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

View Poll Results: Will the jet take off and achieve flight?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it will take off no problem

11 45.83%
  • No, it will sit stationary and never take off

13 54.17%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A Riddle

can I change my vote to, maybe it will, maybe it wont.

Site Guru

If the plane doesn't move then it won't create any lift.
    No I'm not dead

from what i understood in physics class (very little), there's no way the plane can take off, the plane will have no net movement in the forward direction. with no forward movement, it cant get any air to run over the surface of the wing to create lift. the wheels have nothing to do with the flight, if the plane itself isnt moving, it cant fly...i could be wrong, but this is how i look at it...

the plane is not driven by the wheels.... its driven by air movement by the engines.... the air WILL push the plane forward, it will move forward no matter what the wheels do!! I say it will take off.... Dosent matter whats going on with the wheels....

Quote Originally Posted by bullspotter View Post
    the plane is not driven by the wheels.... its driven by air movement by the engines.... the air WILL push the plane forward, it will move forward no matter what the wheels do!! I say it will take off.... Dosent matter whats going on with the wheels....
    if the wheels are not free spinning then the plane will fall off the back of the conveyer....SO IT DOES matter what the wheels are doing....the wheels may not be what drives the plane foward but if they are not spinning then it is like the breaks are on.......
    I cut things up and split them down!

Default heres my take on it

Invision this,
    Put a toy car on a belt sander. The car is the jet, the sander is the conveyor. Holding it in place on the sander is the push of the jet engine. When a real jet takes off do the wheels turn? So are the wheels on the car. If you push the car forward on the belt the the engine would be not at the same speed as the conveyor. Therefore the jet is not making any forward progress, so lift isn't being made around the wings for it to take off.
    Well that settles this one, next question please

Quote Originally Posted by olman View Post
    Invision this,
    Put a toy car on a belt sander. The car is the jet, the sander is the conveyor. Holding it in place on the sander is the push of the jet engine. When a real jet takes off do the wheels turn? So are the wheels on the car. If you push the car forward on the belt the the engine would be not at the same speed as the conveyor. Therefore the jet is not making any forward progress, so lift isn't being made around the wings for it to take off.
    Thats exactly what i was trying to say, but you made it make more sense...thanks man

Boy did I open a can of worms or what!
    Chris Christenson - Admin
    3DShoots.com - Find Archery Shoots near you
    ObsessionArchery.com - Archery Supplies

Default sooo Chris

What do you do Chris sit back & boggle your mind with questions like this one? Heres something a little more simple & fun. Tie your shoe. Now tie it again, only make your right hand do what your left hand just did & left hand do what your right hand did. Basicly switch roles of your hands. See you've been tying your shoes the same way for years know you don't think about it you could even tie them in the dark if you had to but now you have to think about it, it's kind of like learning all over again. Most people I've tryed this on can do it but it takes time tying is all.
    Merry Christmas everyone

dodgensince74

Quote Originally Posted by olman View Post
    Invision this,

Invision this,
    Put a toy car on a belt sander. The car is the jet, the sander is the
    converyor. Holding it in place on the sander is the push of the engine.
    When a real jet takes off do the wheels turn? So do the wheels on the car.

But if you push the car foward once you have set it on the belt the car continues on and that is even with the belt moving faster then the speed of the car, why you ask? Because your hand is like the engines on the plane, both car and jet are being put in motion by a force that is not transmited to the tires which are setting on the belt.

There fore the jet will continue with its foward motion even with the belt spinning at the same or faster rate then the jet is moving.

Get your belt sander out and try it, place your kids car on it and see if you can roll it on it. You will be able to roll you car against the rotation of the belt with out have into push it any faster then if sander was turned off. The only thing that would be different with the sander off or on is the speed at which the tires turn.

Like you said, "Well that settles this one, next question please".

Site Guru

Quote Originally Posted by dodgensince74 View Post
    Invision this,
    Put a toy car on a belt sander. The car is the jet, the sander is the
    converyor. Holding it in place on the sander is the push of the engine.
    When a real jet takes off do the wheels turn? So do the wheels on the car.

But if you push the car foward once you have set it on the belt the car continues on and that is even with the belt moving faster then the speed of the car, why you ask? Because your hand is like the engines on the plane, both car and jet are being put in motion by a force that is not transmited to the tires which are setting on the belt.

There fore the jet will continue with its foward motion even with the belt spinning at the same or faster rate then the jet is moving.

Get your belt sander out and try it, place your kids car on it and see if you can roll it on it. You will be able to roll you car against the rotation of the belt with out have into push it any faster then if sander was turned off. The only thing that would be different with the sander off or on is the speed at which the tires turn.

Like you said, "Well that settles this one, next question please".
    Yeah I finally got tired of thinking and looked it up... rack one up for Dodge!

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/060203.html
    No I'm not dead

interesting...i seriously think someone should send this in to mythbusters

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Ok, here's a riddle for you...

You have a 747 sitting on a huge conveyor belt. This conveyor belt is controlled by a computer that precisely matches the speed of the conveyor to the speed of the jet, only going the opposite direction. When they throttle up, will the jet be able to take off?
    yes it will take off because it isn't pushing against the force of the conveyor it is pushing against the force of the air.

Talking Here's what I think !

Time to recycle this one !

in Dixie Home of the Brave and land of the Free

yes maybe no

Switchback xt BYC LOOP- SHOOT NOW56# 385gr 2312 Eclipse 100gr Muzzy 256fps SEPTER RANGER STRINGS, 4th axis,335 jammers @ 61# =285 fps

yes it will take off.
    Lingerie football. I dont care who wins.

sent using my keyboard and two fingers

Talking Here's what I think !

It now might cost extra if there's alot of baggage !

Quote Originally Posted by Carpshooter View Post
    It now might cost extra if there's alot of baggage !

what does it cost if you just take your sacks

Red. PSE Supra ME
    Black. PSE Supra ME