You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default How do I stop punching the Release ?

I have always used a wrist type release and want to switch to Pro Diamond.
    I like the feel of the release but I keep punching it.
    Any tricks to overcome this. Would a T-Handle Thumb or 3-D be better.
    Does anyone have a pic of how to properly hold the release.
    Pics of where to put your thumb on the release.

Thumb placement will vary from person to person. Find a place that is comfortable for you. Then you need to blank bale. Set your trigger pressure so that you can pre load the trigger w/ around 1 pound of pressure. Stand at around 5 yards from the target and draw and get into your aiming. Close your eyes and make the mental process of the firing your trigger the way you should. And then do it. Sounds to me like you have target panic and aiming practice will help as will. Draw your Bow and start aiming and keep aiming w/ out shooting your Bow. I was suffering really bad w/ TP and I bought Mike Bradens video. All I can say is WOW. It worked for me. Hope this helps.

2012 Bow Tech Pro Staff
    Sword Pro Staff Vane Tech Pro Staff
    Gold Tip Factory Staff Coffey marketing
    A.S.A. IL. State Director

Site Guru

Quote Originally Posted by CSS Shooter View Post
    Thumb placement will vary from person to person. Find a place that is comfortable for you. Then you need to blank bale. Set your trigger pressure so that you can pre load the trigger w/ around 1 pound of pressure. Stand at around 5 yards from the target and draw and get into your aiming. Close your eyes and make the mental process of the firing your trigger the way you should. And then do it. Sounds to me like you have target panic and aiming practice will help as will. Draw your Bow and start aiming and keep aiming w/ out shooting your Bow. I was suffering really bad w/ TP and I bought Mike Bradens video. All I can say is WOW. It worked for me. Hope this helps.
    as boring as hell as his method is it is correct... Blank bailing is brutally boring but also equally effective.

Just curious... what T-Handle release are you using? I have 2 Pro-Diamonds, one with a talon head and one with a caliper head... the talon head is almost impossible NOT to punch. I've been shooting the Caliper head releases for a few years and love them, the Talon head I purchased is nothing like the caliper head. (make sense?)

so basically:

Caliper head = excellent release w/ smooth tension required to release. I love this release!!!

Talon head = PURE JUNK! you HAVE to punch it to get it to pop no matter what setting it is set at, its either "engaged" or "released" there is nothing in the middle.

btw -if anyone wants a Pro Diamond Talon head release I'm selling it for 65 bux and I'll cover shipping (65 is what I paid for it when I bought it)
    No I'm not dead

Along with the regimen listed above you could learn to shoot the release with your middle finger instead of the index finger. It's a lot less sensitive to the touch.

I'm pretty opinionated after 30+ years of shooting and haven't used a wrist strap/caliper/trigger finger release for many years due to just what you are talking about.

If you really want to get serious about shooting correctly then it might be advisable to use a back-tension release for all your summer shooting and practice. They're a great training aid.

Along with the regimen listed above you could learn to shoot the release with your middle finger instead of the index finger. It's a lot less sensitive to the touch.
    Just having trouble with the T-handle thumb release.

Quote Originally Posted by hylander View Post
    Just having trouble with the T-handle thumb release.

Sorry, I misunderstood.

Quote Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
    Talon head = PURE JUNK! you HAVE to punch it to get it to pop no matter what setting it is set at, its either "engaged" or "released" there is nothing in the middle.

btw -if anyone wants a Pro Diamond Talon head release I'm selling it for 65 bux and I'll cover shipping (65 is what I paid for it when I bought it)
    $65 for a piece of junk... very tempting!

Site Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Are View Post
    $65 for a piece of junk... very tempting!
    And since your in PA too it'll save me on shipping! When should I expect your payment?

Hey some guys love these things but I'm not going to sell an item that I don't like and pretend I like it just for the sale... I'm a horrible salesman
    No I'm not dead

Default Punching the release

Target panic is a monster!! I forget the guys name but he was on the us Olympic team years ago. His suggestion, and it works, was to get a back tension release and cut a grove in the cam, far enough around so that the release couldn't possible go off. Kind of like some of the back tension releases now have but put the grove 1/4/ to 3/8 inch back from the edge. Then set the release up so it will click when you operate it but won't go off. Now you must shoot this setup for 3 weeks without actually firing an arrow. How bad do you want to get rid of your target panic?

in Dixie Home of the Brave and land of the Free

Here is 1 other thing, The shot is not made down at the target,it is made right where you are standing. don't get ahead of yourself and shoot for the spot> in your mind just focus on your form and make that one shot >with total concentration on the shot not the spot . This can be practiced dry =or in your mind>seeing yourself do it> anywhere any time. Maybe with the other advide all this can be rolled up into one,for the rest is very good also , HS

Switchback xt BYC LOOP- SHOOT NOW56# 385gr 2312 Eclipse 100gr Muzzy 256fps SEPTER RANGER STRINGS, 4th axis,335 jammers @ 61# =285 fps

Thanks fo rall the input:
    Well I was having alot of problems with the Pro Diamond.
    Then the shop let me try an ST-3
    Moocho Better.
    I figured out most of my problem is the Pro Diamond has to
    much trigger travel and does not fit my hand well.
    I know most people do not want to know when the release fires, but I do.
    The ST-3 has a great trigger adjustment and fits me better.
    Great for target but I don't think it would suit me well for hunting.
    The only other draw back is the $185.00 price tag
    I also teied two Carters with no success.
    So for now I did the next best thing and bought a Tru Ball Tornado

This is the groups I was getting with the ST-3 , with the Pro Diamond I could not get the all in one target.

How do I stop punching the Release ? - General Archery Forum

Site Guru

Quote Originally Posted by hylander View Post
    Thanks fo rall the input:
    Well I was having alot of problems with the Pro Diamond.
    Then the shop let me try an ST-3
    Moocho Better.
    I figured out most of my problem is the Pro Diamond has to
    much trigger travel and does not fit my hand well.
    I know most people do not want to know when the release fires, but I do.
    The ST-3 has a great trigger adjustment and fits me better.
    Great for target but I don't think it would suit me well for hunting.
    The only other draw back is the $185.00 price tag
    I also teied two Carters with no success.
    So for now I did the next best thing and bought a Tru Ball Tornado

This is the groups I was getting with the ST-3 , with the Pro Diamond I could not get the all in one target.

How do I stop punching the Release ? - General Archery Forum
    Just to satisfy my curosity... which TRU pro Diamond release are / were you using?
    No I'm not dead