You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default public shooting range...gone wrong

I travel alot for a construction company, I go all over the united states. I have been to a ton of bow shops and ranges public and private. Most ranges have posted range rules weather it public, private or at a bow shop. WELL I went to a range in GA today to finish sighting in my new bow and there was a father and several boys there maybe 5 boys in total. The father was trying out a stickbow he had built himself. I stopped at a fast food joint to get something to eat before I shot. While I was sitting in my truck eating I watched the father shoot. The targets had 4' by 4' butts. The father was having problems hitting the 4' by 4' backstop with his newly built bow and I had a bad feeling from the git go. I walked up with my case and quiver and began setting up all the while watching the father who hit the backstop roughly 3 out of 6 shots...ok no biggie. So i finished getting set up and walked up to the line, took one shot and wanted to walk down range to take a look(there was a pretty good cross wind). He was moving his childrens stuff off the line over to the picnic table. I yelled down range and went to retrieve my arrow. While pulling my arrow I hear a thunk, thunk thunk. He was shooting while I was pulling my arrow. Holy crap forget about all the range rules at this place its survival of the smartest here. I walked up to the line and packed my stuff and left. I didn't even say anything to this guy I didn't think it was worth since his kids were squirrel hunting in a public park with bows and were no better shot than their father. Ok so how do people get away with doing thing like this. That was the most dangerous situation I have been involved in quite some time and I had zero control of the situation. I called a buddy and told him about it and he asked me if we had words and I said no actually I was so scared I that never even crossed my mind. Please let me remind you that 3 out of 6 arrows weren't even hitting the 4' by 4' back stop. SO my question is what would you have done because I have never encountered something like this ever. Most places will threaten to kick a guy out if he even nocks an arrow while someone is down range. WOW just though I would share how my afternoon went.

They get away with stuff like that because people that have stuff like you had happen DON'T SAY ANYTHING TO THEM. So they don't stop or don't know that what they are doing is wrong.

Why one EARTH would you not say something?

Well like I said I have never been in a situation like that before and was so shell shocked I never thought to say anything I know that some poeple would instictivly say something but my inital instictive thought was get the hell outta there. No one ever had to tell me not to shoot while someone was down range. If I ever was told not to shoot down range while another person was retriveing arrows or looking at their targets it was when I was a very very young child. I can't believe it isn't self explanitiory. If we were at a rifle range I bet he wouldn't have done that. and again now that its all over I wish I woulda said something but I just wanted to get outta there. Thats all that was in my head at that exact moment.

Quote Originally Posted by jessgcmo View Post
    Well like I said I have never been in a situation like that before and was so shell shocked I never thought to say anything I know that some poeple would instictivly say something but my inital instictive thought was get the hell outta there. No one ever had to tell me not to shoot while someone was down range. If I ever was told not to shoot down range while another person was retriveing arrows or looking at their targets it was when I was a very very young child. I can't believe it isn't self explanitiory. If we were at a rifle range I bet he wouldn't have done that. and again now that its all over I wish I woulda said something but I just wanted to get outta there. Thats all that was in my head at that exact moment.
    Often newbies shoot like this and often dont know rules of the range. You should have told him and keep shooting.
    DB
    Elite bows, Vortex Binos, Trophy Taker sights, Carter releases, Goldtip Arrows. CBE sights, Vapor Trail Strings, B Stinger stabilizers

I would have tried to not make him look bad in front of his kids. BUT I would have told him that was a big no no. maybe he didnt know. has to learn somtime.
    Lingerie football. I dont care who wins.

sent using my keyboard and two fingers

When the weather is nicer and we have more daylight, I frequently shoot at a public range. I haven't had to do it often, but several times I've had to speak up to keep people from doing something stupid. Only one time have I felt the shooter was being unsafe enough to really get in his face. I told him about the rules and when he was belligerent I suggested that we contact the park police for an interpretation of the rules.

I had my cell phone, and when I began the call, he packed up & left. This was a couple of years ago and I haven't seen him since.

Most times if you approach people in a non-threatening way, they quickly quit doing whatever stupid thing that they were doing. I've made a couple of long term friends this way.

To keep these public ranges open, we have to speak up. As soon as someone is injured and sues the park, the range will likely be closed.

Allen

I have to say I'm a bit surprised in the gerenal respose from everyone, while I definitley made the mistake of not saying anything noone seems to "feel" what my general feelings were about the issue which I never actually said. I don't feel like any grown man should have to be told shooting while someone is down range is very dangerous. Weather they know range rules or not the danger factor should be self explanitory and in my opinion if an adult is not bright enough to recognize that then I don't believe saying anything will acomplish anything other than someone losing their temper agruing with a person that obviously just can't recognize an unsafe action. I have been to bow/rifle/pistol ranges and heard of someone making an accident like nock an arrow while someone is down range or at a public gun range someone over at the 25yd lane take a shot not realizing someone is still down range on the 100yd side. Those things I have seen but it was just him and I at the exact moment he began shooting and we were at two lanes directly next to each other there was no missing me visually and again in my opinion not knowing range rules doesn't constiute a grown man being able to recognize the fact that he is creating a very unsafe sitiation. if this guy can't see how unsafe that is then how would you feel hunting on the same public property he is on. Certain "range rules/etiqutte" still apply there. the only differnce is there probably isn't anything posted on a sign and every person hunting on that state or federal land is left to assume everyone else hunting there has a certain level of intelligence and respect for the saftey of themselves and others. I find it disturbing that an adult has to be told about range rules to make him understand why they exist which is primarily to make people recognize the dangers involved in shooting a bow,rifle or pistol. I will again say that hindsight I most definitley should have said something that was a HUGE mistake on my part, I guess this is yet again another exaple of the type of person that will probably screw up a good thing for everyone else and I had a chance to possibly prevent that. now I feel pretty bad walking away. Jesse

Quote Originally Posted by jessgcmo View Post
    I have to say I'm a bit surprised in the gerenal respose from everyone, while I definitley made the mistake of not saying anything noone seems to "feel" what my general feelings were about the issue which I never actually said. I don't feel like any grown man should have to be told shooting while someone is down range is very dangerous. Weather they know range rules or not the danger factor should be self explanitory and in my opinion if an adult is not bright enough to recognize that then I don't believe saying anything will acomplish anything other than someone losing their temper agruing with a person that obviously just can't recognize an unsafe action. I have been to bow/rifle/pistol ranges and heard of someone making an accident like nock an arrow while someone is down range or at a public gun range someone over at the 25yd lane take a shot not realizing someone is still down range on the 100yd side. Those things I have seen but it was just him and I at the exact moment he began shooting and we were at two lanes directly next to each other there was no missing me visually and again in my opinion not knowing range rules doesn't constiute a grown man being able to recognize the fact that he is creating a very unsafe sitiation. if this guy can't see how unsafe that is then how would you feel hunting on the same public property he is on. Certain "range rules/etiqutte" still apply there. the only differnce is there probably isn't anything posted on a sign and every person hunting on that state or federal land is left to assume everyone else hunting there has a certain level of intelligence and respect for the saftey of themselves and others. I find it disturbing that an adult has to be told about range rules to make him understand why they exist which is primarily to make people recognize the dangers involved in shooting a bow,rifle or pistol. I will again say that hindsight I most definitley should have said something that was a HUGE mistake on my part, I guess this is yet again another exaple of the type of person that will probably screw up a good thing for everyone else and I had a chance to possibly prevent that. now I feel pretty bad walking away. Jesse
    I will give you a reason because most bow ranges archers have to police themselves! But its your call to do whatever. Shame there ingnorance from some that cant realize the danger.
    DB
    Elite bows, Vortex Binos, Trophy Taker sights, Carter releases, Goldtip Arrows. CBE sights, Vapor Trail Strings, B Stinger stabilizers

hey I wouldnt feel bad about what happened. when I said I would have said somthing I was thinking about my home range. in a strange place by my self I dont really know what I would have done. who knows the guy could have been an escape ax murder. at the time you done what you thought was right so I wouldnt lose any sleep over it.
    Lingerie football. I dont care who wins.

sent using my keyboard and two fingers

well I just wanna say, it was most definitely a learning expierience and everything everyone said is appreciated. I asked what other people would have done because I really wanted to know. Every experience is a learning experience. Next time I'll be a bit more prepared on how to handle the situation properly. Thanks to all for the advise.