You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Should I remove the string surpressor!!

I bought a 2010 carbon matrix last week. I am working on setting it up for hunter class 3D. I really like the bow and what I am wondering is should I remove the string supressor, as far as I have always known they are for making the bow quieter for hunting purposes. If thats all their for is there any reason to leave it on for shooting 3D. This bow is only going to be used for 3D hunter class. What should I do leave it alone or take it off. Jesse

leave it on...will not hurt in the shooting cycle. It anything it may make the bow less jump as you release the arrow.

It won't do anything but change the sound of the bow when it goes off and maybe help to keep the string off your clothes if you have to shoot in a jacket or something ( I put mine on for hunting season just for that reason)....it doesn't make it shoot better, and doesn't make the bow "jump" less.

If you don't want it on there then take it off.

First thing I do... is take them off my bows..
    Last edited by JAVI; 02-01-2011 at 09:10 AM.
    Mike "Javi" Cooper

I think you should leave it on the bow. the arrow will not get off the bowstring untill it stops moving forward. if you have saw any slow motion video's the string will go past the B.H. quite a bit. but not always the same amount. with a S.S the arrow will come off the string the same place ever time. I would think this would make the bow a little more accurate. it wont hurt anything being on the bow and could help.
    Lingerie football. I dont care who wins.

sent using my keyboard and two fingers

Quote Originally Posted by longcut36 View Post
    I think you should leave it on the bow. the arrow will not get off the bowstring untill it stops moving forward. if you have saw any slow motion video's the string will go past the B.H. quite a bit. but not always the same amount. with a S.S the arrow will come off the string the same place ever time. I would think this would make the bow a little more accurate. it wont hurt anything being on the bow and could help.
    That doesn't add up to a hill of pooo when it comes to accuracy....if it did then every PRO you know the guys that help pay their bills or get all of their income from shooting would have them on their bows. ALL OF THEM.

If what you were saying were true then shooting an arrow through the chrono without one wouldn't even give you the same reading....which I don't have a problem doing.

so it sounds like it really doesn't matter either way, I think i'll see what I like better. I have never set up a bow specifically for 3D and didn't know if its needed for a 3D application. I know the pros don't use em but they are shooting with a differnt type of bow desigened for target shooting.

Leave it on! IMO there are no disadvantages even for target

Dan
    Maker of MEANV STRING SUPPRESSORS
    MAITLAND BOW DEALER
    Dealer for Slick Tricks, Vapor Trail Limb Driver & Strings, HHA sights, Viper Sights, etc.
    www.meanvarchery.com

Quote Originally Posted by MeanV2 View Post
    Leave it on! IMO there are no disadvantages even for target

Dan
    Plugs up the hole I use to put my rear swivel bolt... and is wasted weight..
    Mike "Javi" Cooper

Mike, That's your personal preference and I totally respect it.

There are those that choose otherwise. I've had some top shelf shooters that have had me custom fabricate a String Suppressor on their target bows. Personally I would not have thought it worth the effort.

But then it wasn't my target bow

Dan
    MAITLAND BOW DEALER
    Dealer for Slick Tricks, Vapor Trail Limb Driver & Strings, HHA sights, Viper Sights, etc.
    www.meanvarchery.com

Quote Originally Posted by Brown Hornet View Post
    That doesn't add up to a hill of pooo when it comes to accuracy....if it did then every PRO you know the guys that help pay their bills or get all of their income from shooting would have them on their bows. ALL OF THEM.

If what you were saying were true then shooting an arrow through the chrono without one wouldn't even give you the same reading....which I don't have a problem doing.
    hey Mr. hornet. go play in a hill of pooo. I see no facts in your statement were a SS would not help accuracy other than pros do not shoot them. do you know all the pro's and what they shoot. I think a SS helps me get a few more points. not a huge amount but 1 or 2 points can be a win lose deal.
    Lingerie football. I dont care who wins.

sent using my keyboard and two fingers

Quote Originally Posted by longcut36 View Post
    hey Mr. hornet. go play in a hill of pooo. I see no facts in your statement were a SS would not help accuracy other than pros do not shoot them. do you know all the pro's and what they shoot. I think a SS helps me get a few more points. not a huge amount but 1 or 2 points can be a win lose deal.
    Hornet is fine...Mr. Hornet is my dad

I don't know all of the Pros of course....but I do know a good # of the top Pros and top Joes in the country....and some from outside the country....even have a good # of them on speed dial in the Crack Berry But think about it...if something as simple as adding a string stop made your bow more accurate then I a PRO would have to be pretty dag on stupid to not be using one.

First of all though...I wasn't trying to back anything up with facts....what I stated is pretty much common knowledge it has been proven over and over by many people that one does not improve accuracy....In fact I have proven it myself...my field bow was setup and was pounding all summer. It came time to hunt and all I did 1st was add the SS to keep it off my clothes...everything else was the same. The groups didn't improve....they didn't stay the same either. Mathews has done testing and they have stated that their version will make accuracy worse over time as they begin to wear. I also proved this when I shot an A7....

as for my comment about the chrono....I have done that OVER and OVER and OVER. Just about every time I shoot more then one arrow through one without making a change of some sort the machine reads DUP...which is short for duplicate. Therefore I usually only shoot one If you can't get the same results from a bow shooting the same arrow across one then that is a shooter execution issue. Not a I don't have a SS issue.

Pretty much there are a ton of archers that are better then most of the guys that say that a bow is more accurate or it makes it more consistent with one that don't use one and will tell you the same thing....I am more ikely to believe Javi, a bow company and the PROs that I know (one of them being the #1 archer in the world and another being a 4 time National champion and shooter of the year winner, a Redding winner, a few other guys that are national champions and many others), I also am more likely to trust my own results more then the avg hunter that only really shoots in his back yard or local range and maybe the occasional 3D shoot or even someone that shoots 3D a good bit. The shoots I do now mostly... by the time I finish target #5 I have shot the same # of arrows that your gonna get in to shoot in most 3D shoots and I still have 23 more targets to go....so I know all about consistency

if you setup a SS correctly....no it won't hurt you really.....but it will not improve your accuracy or make you more consistent. PERIOD

There is a place for them....like I said I had one on my hunting bow to keep the string off my coat.....but it doesn't even really make your bow more silent....at least not a great deal. It just changes the sound. My bow wasn't anymore silent with one. My field arrows weigh 334 grains and my hunting arrows were around 360-370 grain range shot from the same bow. It just sounded different.

trophy class deer hunter archeryassasin's Avatar

i agree, there is no way a string stop can make any difference in accuracy or consistence. but I've been told that they can also make your bow faster because the nock is coming off the string at a different distance then if you did not use one, like if you watch slo mo of a bow being shot the nock doesnt pop off until the string starts going the other way.... is this true?

I have done a lot of testing over several years with lots of different brands and models of bows.

IMO I do not think they make any notable difference in speed or accuracy, but they definitely make a difference in sound and felt vibration.

I'm sure almost all bow companies are not putting them on their bows because they look cool. The trouble is many OEM Suppressors have rubber that is entirely too hard to do the best job possible, and can be almost detrimental in what they should be doing.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by archeryassasin View Post
    i agree, there is no way a string stop can make any difference in accuracy or consistence. but I've been told that they can also make your bow faster because the nock is coming off the string at a different distance then if you did not use one, like if you watch slo mo of a bow being shot the nock doesnt pop off until the string starts going the other way.... is this true?
    MAITLAND BOW DEALER
    www.meanvarchery.com

I have done a lot of testing over several years with lots of different brands and models of bows.

IMO I do not think they make any notable difference in speed or accuracy, but they definitely make a difference in sound and felt vibration.

I'm sure almost all bow companies are not putting them on their bows because they look cool. The trouble is many OEM Suppressors have rubber that is entirely too hard to do the best job possible, and can be almost detrimental in what they should be doing.

Dan
    In all honesty....I have had this conversation with people in the industry....they are being included on their bows because "everyone else has them" or because people are putting them on there anyway...and that's straight from the horses mouth.

Your right though....no change in speed though.

Scent free & sittin High vortec 1's Avatar

Default String supressers

I do respect everyone's opinion and research. That being said I too have seen on youtube in slow motion the string would release the arrow about two inches from the riser without a supresser, and like a bungie cord bounces back and forth so I understand that a supresser would remove some vibration but does'nt this blow the hole theory of a drop away rest (which I do'nt use). If the arrow is rideing on the string that far, the drop away would drop as the arrow is just starting to leave the string which the flechings would be rite at the rest.
    HIGH COUNTRY SPEED PRO X10 "SPEED KILLS",HHA site,Carbon force Mayhem/Easton Fat Boy Arrows,Alpine quiver,TM hunter and Swhacker Broadheads.

A string stop can improve accuracy. If you have a string stop that is functioning as a rear stabilizer it will help you hold better. What we need is some SS with a good amount of weight so the hunter class can run a rear stabilizer in disguise.

If you have a tight nock fit, a SS below the grip will cause a bare shaft arrow to impact about 12" high at 20 yards compared to a bow tuned with no sting stop. I had my bow tuned without a SS and then put a SS on and I was amazed at what happened with the bare shaft.

I am in the Industry

What's your take on why Randy Ulmer bought 3 MeanV's to put on his Hoyt's?

He likes them because others have them on their bows?

He just likes me?

Actually he swapped out one of his Fuse stoppers for a MeanV he received as a gift that was bought from me (I didn't know it was going to Randy) and then he could tell enough difference he BOUGHT 3 more

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Brown Hornet View Post
    In all honesty....I have had this conversation with people in the industry....they are being included on their bows because "everyone else has them" or because people are putting them on there anyway...and that's straight from the horses mouth.

Your right though....no change in speed though.
    Last edited by MeanV2; 02-02-2011 at 01:49 AM.
    MAITLAND BOW DEALER
    www.meanvarchery.com

I am in the Industry

What's your take on why Randy Ulmer bought 3 MeanV's to put on his Hoyt's?

He likes them because others have them on their bows?

He just likes me?

Actually he swapped out one of his Fuse stoppers for a MeanV he received as a gift that was bought from me (I didn't know it was going to Randy) and then he could tell enough difference he BOUGHT 3 more

Dan
    Randy buying them to make his bow more quiet! Randy using them for hunting bows. Some like the fact they make the bow feel smoother and less hand shock. Either way its something each archer should try both ways and keep score. May work for some and may not work for others.
    DB
    Elite bows, Vortex Binos, Trophy Taker sights, Carter releases, Goldtip Arrows. CBE sights, Vapor Trail Strings, B Stinger stabilizers

Kind of what I was thinking DB

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Boone View Post
    Randy buying them to make his bow more quiet! Randy using them for hunting bows.
    MAITLAND BOW DEALER
    www.meanvarchery.com