You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

ok last post on this. for me anyway. consistency. I have been shooting since 1950 and shoot 540+ so I think I know a little bit about consistency also . anyway I set up the chrono and hooter shooter. took two bows, a martin and a bowtech. shot them though paper to make sure they were in tune. when I shot them though the chrono with the SS on I got a +or- of 1-3 fps. without the SS it was + 0r - 1to7 fps. will this help accuracy. maybe, but not enough that you would notice. will it hurt the accuracy. no I dont think so.
    Lingerie football. I dont care who wins.

sent using my keyboard and two fingers

Even though I noticed no major improvements in my groups (I'm hardly a machine) I did notice the same thing in my Chrono tests.

I've had lots of guys say they shot better once they installed a MeanV. Who am I to tell them they are not. I see on the chrono where the speed is more consistent from shot to shot so anything is possible.

I don't advertise they will shrink your groups though

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by longcut36 View Post
    ok last post on this. for me anyway. consistency. I have been shooting since 1950 and shoot 540+ so I think I know a little bit about consistency also . anyway I set up the chrono and hooter shooter. took two bows, a martin and a bowtech. shot them though paper to make sure they were in tune. when I shot them though the chrono with the SS on I got a +or- of 1-3 fps. without the SS it was + 0r - 1to7 fps. will this help accuracy. maybe, but not enough that you would notice. will it hurt the accuracy. no I dont think so.
    Maker of MEANV STRING SUPPRESSORS
    MAITLAND BOW DEALER
    Dealer for Slick Tricks, Vapor Trail Limb Driver & Strings, HHA sights, Viper Sights, etc.
    www.meanvarchery.com

Never said the thing would hurt accuracy... I just don't need one.
    Mike "Javi" Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by MeanV2 View Post
    I am in the Industry

What's your take on why Randy Ulmer bought 3 MeanV's to put on his Hoyt's?

He likes them because others have them on their bows?

He just likes me?

Actually he swapped out one of his Fuse stoppers for a MeanV he received as a gift that was bought from me (I didn't know it was going to Randy) and then he could tell enough difference he BOUGHT 3 more

Dan
    Don't read into what I am saying....Randy pretty much only hunts now. I didn't say they don't have a place. I said they DO NOT improve accuracy and they DO NOT make the bow more consistent.

You are in the industry.....but you DO NOT make bows. There is a difference

how can you say that a SS will not help accuracy or consistency when the only FACTS you have is that some pros dont shot them. shooting a bow s/b easy. all you have to do is do the exact same thing the exact same way ever time. that equals consistency which equals accuracy. so I can see were a SS could maybe help some. not a hugh difference but maybe a point or two. would a SS be worth the money for maybe 1 or 2 points. I dont think so. would a SS be worth the money for 1 or 2 points plus less noise and vibration. I think so.
    P.S good luck with your shooting without a SS. you will need some

Default Nothing new

String suppresors have been around for ever. This is nothing new to archery industry.

Bottomline try it both ways. Might make the bow feel better in your hands.

If it helps use it and if not you really dont have to have it. Think it a good thing for hunters.
    DB
    Elite bows, Vortex Binos, Trophy Taker sights, Carter releases, Goldtip Arrows. CBE sights, Vapor Trail Strings, B Stinger stabilizers

Try it both ways and use it how you like it. It is yours.

For me, I leave mine on. Especially if I will be shooting with a long sleeved shirt. If the string catches on my sleeve, it will do nothing but hurt accuracy. With the stop, I have never hit my string on my sleeve, coat , whatever.

lol wow sounds like I opened up a can of worms...I think from everything I read I will be leaving it on, at least for now. I am definitly no pro. The bottom line as an average joe wasn't necesserily will it improve my shot but more a question of will it hurt my shot in anyway and It sounds like the answer is no at least for someone at my skill level. well guys thanks for all the advise better watch out ya'll keep givin away your secrets to me and I'll be smokin 14's all day at the 3D range....lol hope I put a smile on a few of your faces with that one. Jesse

I think it is a "between the ear thing". If you think it helps your shooting and you like the way it sounds and feels, it probably will improve your shooting.
    A hooter shooter has no brains or ears.
    Hoyt Bows, Shrewd sights, Carter index, Tru Ball hinge, Trophy Taker Rest, Doinker Stabilizers, Carbon Express XJ 27's, Vapor Trail Strings, Nikon Binos.

Interesting thread here. Everyone agrees that it helps with felt vibration and noise on most bows.

Now on the accuracy part...

Many say higher brace height means a more forgiving bow.
    A bow without a string stop will allow the arrow to stay on the string longer than a bow with a string stop.

When I high speed video tested one of my bows. The bow WITHOUT the string stop allowed the arrow to stay on the string longer (about 1.5") than the bow with a string stop.

So wouldn't this be the same effect as shooting a bow with a higher brace height?

If you have two identical bows with the only difference of brace height, does this mean these two bows are equally accurate?
    7" brace height bow without a string stop
    6" brace height bow with string stop

I don't know but I know what I saw on the high speed camera.
    Chris Christenson - Admin
    3DShoots.com - Find Archery Shoots near you
    ObsessionArchery.com - Archery Supplies

Think about this...

In a Hooter Shooter.....

A bow with a 6” brace height will put arrows into the same hole

A bow with an 8” brace height will put arrows into the same hole

A bow with a 6” brace height and a string stop will put arrows into the same hole

A bow with an 8” brace height and a string stop will put arrows into the same hole

Something like saying that a drop away rest will speed up an arrow because an Ugly Cookie will slow an arrow by 2-3 fps...
    Mike "Javi" Cooper

Anyone that says a String Suppressor does Not quiet a Bow obviously has none either

A Hooter Shooter does Not need a forgiving bow. The Human element usually changes things

Dan

A hooter shooter has no ears.
    Maker of MEANV STRING SUPPRESSORS
    MAITLAND BOW DEALER
    Dealer for Slick Tricks, Vapor Trail Limb Driver & Strings, HHA sights, Viper Sights, etc.
    www.meanvarchery.com

Quote Originally Posted by JAVI View Post
    Think about this...

In a Hooter Shooter.....

A bow with a 6” brace height will put arrows into the same hole
    A bow with an 8” brace height will put arrows into the same hole
    A bow with a 6” brace height and a string stop will put arrows into the same hole
    A bow with an 8” brace height and a string stop will put arrows into the same hole
    But does higher brace height make it easier for a human to put them in the same hole?
    Chris Christenson - Admin
    3DShoots.com - Find Archery Shoots near you
    ObsessionArchery.com - Archery Supplies

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    But does higher brace height make it easier for a human to put them in the same hole?
    Depends on several things... but in general because of string angle and position of torque (pivot point) with a deflex riser.. Yes

not so much because of time on string...

You should run some tests with your HS camera on the result of nock fit and arrow weight to this issue..
    Mike "Javi" Cooper

so just to understand you correctly. on a hooter shooter, a bow with an 8" brace height and no SS will put an arrow in the same place as a bow with an 8" brace height and a SS. In my mind that implies that on a theroretical level it does not matter either way. NOW introduce the human element can a skilled archer pick up "MY" bow shoot 30 arrows without SS and then shoot 30 arrows with SS and come up with the same average. and just for arguments sake I say my bow because it wouldn't give the skilled shooter any sort of technical advantage, meaning he may have shot 10 carbon matrix but not one setup identical to mine. Also just to eliminate this issue BTW the skilled shooter has an identical draw length. WILL HE GET IDENTICAL RESULTS??

The argument that a string stop will increase your accuracy and shrink your groups is crazy to me.

String stops do three things well when setup correctly already touched on this thread. 1> quiets the bow 2> reduces vibration 3> reduces wrist/sleeve slap.

All three are fantasic on a hunting setup!

On my target setups, I could careless about shock or vibration. All I care about is where the arrow goes .

Couldn't the argument be made that a string stop could potentially HURT accuracy? Not from the product itself, but by allowing inconsistencies in grip and bow torque.?.

If you slightly torque or cant your bow sub 7.5" BH, you can and will get a reminder in the form
    of a red mark . Now throw a string stop on and bingo, no more red mark.

Obviously this is not the issue with an archer with experience and proper mechanics but, to the beginner or casual shooter this can be a real issue.

Does a string stop hurt accuracy? With good form NO!

Does a string stop help accuarcy? Scientifically, Who the heck knows! Will a string stop be the difference in the x ring for me? NO!

To the original post, if your not going to be running a v/side bar out the back, leave it on if you choose. Your scores won't be affected either way.

Last edited by BuckeyeRed; 02-04-2011 at 12:20 AM.
    Be good or be good at it.

i leave my string stopper on my bow and still can make little noise and no one make a prefect, well go back to 1990 bow and shot a deer w/o stop string or silence and still will hit animals but today with high speed bow going to be faster and too late for deer to jump,
    important find what is best for you..

i feel good with my quest gs33 and i dont use a silence just a stop string reduce the noise but not 100% but i would say 90%
    if i want to change the stop string i would just buy a rubber piece from whoever make a custom rubber whatever it sell at archery shop ..

Two part answer for me....

On my hunting bow it helps accuracy just because I always hunt with long sleeves and it keeps the string from hitting my sleeve without torqueing the bow. Not to mention it quiets the bow quit well.

On my target rig I very rarely wear long sleeves and I have no problem hitting my arm and I don't care how loud it is.

Scent free & sittin High vortec 1's Avatar

In my mind if the arrow leaves the string sooner with a ss and you have a drop away rest , then you remove alot of human error of torqing the bow and affecting the arrow flight because the arrow is off the bow compleatly sooner.
    HIGH COUNTRY SPEED PRO X10 "SPEED KILLS",HHA site,Carbon force Mayhem/Easton Fat Boy Arrows,Alpine quiver,TM hunter and Swhacker Broadheads.

Quote Originally Posted by vortec 1 View Post
    In my mind if the arrow leaves the string sooner with a ss and you have a drop away rest , then you remove alot of human error of torqing the bow and affecting the arrow flight because the arrow is off the bow compleatly sooner.
    yes I would think so