You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Turkey's up my way, ya mean like the bearded bird that thundered up outta the yard and off thru the pines that morning last June as I came bustin out to door to .. uh... drain off the last coffee, those the kind of turkeys we're talking about? After you're done with your spring trukey, start looking into where the elk are in Ark. A lot if similariitys in turkey and elk calling and if you think yer hearts pumping when the gobbler busts ya, try a screaming 800lbs Bull in you lap. That will tune you up for fall turkey...
    Its amazing the difference the sound make, my bkie tires are a bit aggresive, so I get a bit of noise, not a whole lot, can be heard maybe 30-40 yds way, more likely to hear me than bike tires. My deer season open the 2 week of July, Bear 3rd week-end of Aug. 2nd day of deer season, I park my truck in the predawn light , just outside the boundry of a Hunting clubs camp. Unload my bike , put my bow ito the rack, and put my pack on. Off I pedal down the timber company maintained oilbase road in the growing early morning light. just light enough for me to see the road, and the edges of it. 200 yds later is the gate, get off pass bike over, mean time they're all still snoring, and I back on the road From thje gat to where the next sub road turned of droped 257 feet according the gps, so what little pedaling was doing kept me moving 10mph, I get to my turn off, and start up the mountin side, ride up the gate there, that has a convienent walkaround. Roads real steep, so I just push on up the hill, have to stop 30yds above the gate get off and walk it up. CRACK,SNAP...I'm thinking..whatthehel SNAP CRACK SNAP, and I look down towards the road where the sound was headed, and here comes a bear, 3/4quartering away, until he got to my scent trail, at the turn, made an about turn, crossed the road broad side to me, I took my mental picture there, his rear feet, just onto the dirt of the road, across the grassy center and just into the grass on the far side of the road, over 5 feet, his shoulders where as high or higher that the handlebars of my bike thats 40 ". Bear season 5 weeks away. Quess where I hunted all summer? I know that encounter was all due to the bikes steath.
    Last edited by elkslayer4x5; 02-24-2011 at 08:00 PM.
    Visit our web site
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    2 06 Martin Slayers, 63 & 55#s Nitrous C X QuikTune 3000s and HHA OL 5519s on both.
    04 Martin Cougar Elite Nitrous C X Quiktune 1000

Quote Originally Posted by AxeMonster View Post
    i found me one today,but its been pouring rain all day an figured i would wait till morrow.our club is a timber company but they will let u ride 4 wheelers but ur right about the sound.i bet u can see alot more game just rideing the roads.by the way love my sights.makes alot of difference.havnt got them completley sighted in yet but i want them to dead on.still got plenty of time before turkey season.turkey hunting is my favorite.nothing like a gobbler almost blowing ur hat off gets my heart going like a drum.population has been going down over the last few yrs.hope this year is better.got a big flock located already.at least 25 hens.any turkeys out your way
    These's lots of way you can help the turkey pouplation in your hunting area, and I'd start with getting a grip on the local perdators, skunks, coons, fox, and coyotes all make a living off those turkeys. They can devistate an area, especially if the nesting area is poor, until those polts can fly, they're on the menu. By the way, varmit hunting is another pretty good way of getting your heart thumpin. a fox scull make a real nice european mount especillay when its a bow kill !
    Visit our web site
    2 06 Martin Slayers, 63 & 55#s Nitrous C X QuikTune 3000s and HHA OL 5519s on both.

yes we do have alot of predators.had a bobcat come in on decoys last year,thined that 1 out and a huge chicken snake with 8 turkey eggs,u could count them in its belly.we do have elk an bear in the state.the town just across the river got its name from the black bear from the oil they would use from the bears.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I hope you get the bear you described,sounds like a good one.most of the bears in this area are in the ozarks(mtn.country)i live in the delta but they were plentiful in this area years ago.Its funny 15 miles west is our hunting club witch is all mountains(hills compared to ur country im sure)but its a good club for the most part.I have hunted turkeys here in the river bottom and get just as much enjoyment out of it.Of all the years of being a trk driver i never made a trip that far north in cailf.bakersfield is as far north as i ever went.I stay local anymore.You never did give me the scoop on the saddle bags for ur bike.Gonna get mine tomorrow,heck u may be on to a new t v show.Bow an Bike Madness,bet the drury's will jump right on that.

trophy class deer hunter archeryassasin's Avatar

i wish ther were a place by me to hunt bear or hogs but i have to stick to whitetail and turkey
    u aint seen country yet!

Southern Comfort

HHA makes a wonderful 1 pin sight! Super bright fibers!

Default The bike bags

I made the pack on the back of my bike because there's nothing like it on the market, you can find bike bag, but not with the capasity of mine. It has 2 main compartments, one on each side a nd one on top, eash has a compression strap, the top has two crossed compression straps, so the deer head can be lashed down, fastens to the bike and rack at 5 points. It is designed to carry a quartered deer, and to tighten it to the bike so there no load shifting as you ride, the front corners of the side bags are angled to allow heel clearence while pedaling. It has 2500 cu. in. of storage.
    Sorry to report, that bear plum eluded me, but I mapped him out pretty well all during the rest of the year. Got a real good idea where his home core area is. and found traces of him in couple of places I suspected he'd be. Had to be carefull not to blow him out of the area by pressuring him too much. It suprised me running into him like that, and so will be approching the area differntly, and try to find him in the berry patches that I marked on my gps.
    Do you guys know where the Pope and Young black bear came from? Right here! And that bear I ran onto last year, is a contender, got a head like a bucket, big crease between his ears, ears on the side of his head, chest well below his elbows!
    Last edited by elkslayer4x5; 02-26-2011 at 04:57 AM.
    Visit our web site

i figure if the hogs keep spreading like they are u will have some in ohio before you no it.I posted a picture of 7 little one's we caught all at the same time on the hogs topic.The down side is the damage they cause and if u put out corn for the deer an turkey they get it.Gonna make some tube feeders for the deer an put um high enuff where the hogs cant get to it.This state has made it legal to kill them at will.

Default winded

Got my bike elkslayer,thought i was getting in pretty good shape.WRONG!!! but i think it was a good investment and i am enjoying riding it,good thing bow season is a long way off.I guess sense the beginning of man alot of times we will see sombody doing somthing an think,that dont look that hard an when u actually do it ur glad you waited to try it when no one is watching.Bad thing is 35 yrs ago it was'nt nothing to jump on a bicycle an ride all over the country.Still, im glad i got it and plan on staying with it and gatting in shape.You will have to send my a close up picture of how you riged ur bow holder.

Quote Originally Posted by elkslayer4x5 View Post
    You're welcome to all the advise you can use, I've forgotten more than I know....
    thats for sure ...lol
    FYI Im the 4year old..the one that still has the arrow heads
    Now i have grandkids that are almost 4.
    Good job on the new bike, just remember one needs to crawl 1st we dont just pop out and run a 4 sec dash
    Per your son.. trust me he will see what great fun your having and want to try.. just keep it fun when he does pick up a bow..
    I have never been with out one seams all them days afield with my dad sort of stuck with me.. So much so that after a long time off, I rehooked dad on it.. took him on his 1st elk hunt.. an now look the ole rag horn just cant get enough of it...
    I took up trukey hunting,well lets say i went out a few time and played around a few years back...Son 1st hunting season was last year and we hit them birds hard.. Hooked the boy, when i dumped my Bird. all he can think of now is getting His tom..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    EastOutfitter Pro Staff Field Tester

Its all fun & Games. Untill you put that big boy on the ground..
    Now its time to get to work

Now that's a great looking kid! Reminds me of my boy. Oh yeah, nice tom, Son.
    Visit our web site

that is a good looking tom.its only about a month away here.as nice as the weather is today it really gets me to thinking about the spring season.but back to late winter weather after today.This time of year is always bitter sweet winter almost over but the threat of tornado's right behind it.

Got my bike elkslayer,thought i was getting in pretty good shape.WRONG!!! but i think it was a good investment and i am enjoying riding it,good thing bow season is a long way off.I guess sense the beginning of man alot of times we will see sombody doing somthing an think,that dont look that hard an when u actually do it ur glad you waited to try it when no one is watching.Bad thing is 35 yrs ago it was'nt nothing to jump on a bicycle an ride all over the country.Still, im glad i got it and plan on staying with it and gatting in shape.You will have to send my a close up picture of how you riged ur bow holder.
    Will do, had to move things a bit but it was because of how I wanted the bow to ride, I needed to split the difference between what the bow needs and what the rifles need. Between the racks, I've got a gps mount, and in the center is a rack/cradle for one of those million power lights, for going in early or coming out, I don't want a narrow beam of light I can ride out of, but a big wash of light so I can see the turn or hole.. The first thing that happens when you put your bow on the handlebars is now you need a E brake, you've changed the balance of the bike so you'll need shock cord, go see Quest Outfitters
    http://questoutfitters.com/
    and get you some, nice folks here, quick and cheap. As you can see, get plenty, couple of yds, 1/8- 5/32. You can make the crisscross cradles to lay your bow on with the rest Cut 2 1 foot pieces, melt nice round ball on the ends, tie an overhand knot, leaving about 2.5-3" loop. put them on just past the grips, so they'll stay there, I hook mine over the wing nut of the rack bolt. But might want to make a few extra, in case. Now you have E brakes. Here my view whlie riding, minus the side of the outbuilding.

singal pin sights - Bowhunting forum

and with out every thing in the way

singal pin sights - Bowhunting forum

and a link to more detailed pics, click forward for more. If you need another or more detail, let me know, I'm pretty quick with a pic....

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v7...owrackleft.jpg
    Last edited by elkslayer4x5; 02-27-2011 at 05:43 PM.
    Visit our web site

Thanks.. it was my 1st an every much my sons kill.. He had just come of a stalk on a bird that could have just as easy been that one pictured.. but you know how them ole toms are, put the slip on rhino via a hole under the fence. My Boy was hot, tired an ready for lunch at the end of a long season (that he sat in pouring rain more then once with out a complant..) bird in pic sounded off on the Grassy knoll.. I said well there you go, "go get him"
    An that boy of mine said no dad "you take him"... if not for the excitment of the hunt I beleave I would have... very proud moment I will never forget

BTW 4x5 .. good pic's

Well, you know how we are at EO, we try to please.
    Visit our web site

Thanks for the pictures,i enjoy tinkering with stuff like that.My handle bars aint that wide so it may take some thinking.

Thanks for the pictures,i enjoy tinkering with stuff like that.My handle bars aint that wide so it may take some thinking.
    Mine aren't all that wide, they're a standard set of 'Specialized' ( my bike manufacturer ) handle bars, what I did, was to pull the grip off, cut 3/4" off of them, and mounted the racks in the missing grip area. If I was doing it again, I'd just make 3/4" extensions for the grips, a wood dowel driven into the handle bars, and will be doing that soon anyway, as my big paw is right up aginst the bow rack post. Something you do need to think about is a rear fender of some sort, those semi aggersive tires throw all sorts of road grime right on top of the front derailer. Post some pics of your ride when you can. Would love to see it.
    Visit our web site

I will try to post some pics.My gear shifters are on the inside of the grip so i dont think i can move them out.I'll focus more on that when i can ride it at least 3 miles without stoping.LOL.I did get my sights sighted in an i love um.just turn the dial an there it is,no 3 to 5 pins bluring up my vision.Buddy of mine did bring up a good point though,what r u gonna do if u need to adjust them after ur at full draw.I said guess just aim high.I was gonna get another set for my axe 6 but i have a really good set of 3 pin sights for it and as fast as it is i think setting the top 2 pins for 20 an 40 yards will work just as well.

I will try to post some pics.My gear shifters are on the inside of the grip so i dont think i can move them out.I'll focus more on that when i can ride it at least 3 miles without stoping.LOL.I did get my sights sighted in an i love um.just turn the dial an there it is,no 3 to 5 pins bluring up my vision.Buddy of mine did bring up a good point though,what r u gonna do if u need to adjust them after ur at full draw.I said guess just aim high.I was gonna get another set for my axe 6 but i have a really good set of 3 pin sights for it and as fast as it is i think setting the top 2 pins for 20 an 40 yards will work just as well.
    My shifters are too, I removed grip to make room for the rack mount, but should have extened the bar by inserting a piece of proper sized dowel.That depends entirly how far he moved, if it enough that you need to readjust, might be time to rethink shot. Don't like shooting at jumpy gritters, perfer them with their noses in the grub. But you're talking turkey heads, right? Unless its more than 5 yds, I wouldn't worry.
    Last edited by elkslayer4x5; 03-02-2011 at 02:12 AM.
    Visit our web site