You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Hybrid View

Default arrow straightness

curious if anyone that bought .006 straightness arrow and cut few inch back of arrow and put nock on to cut ur lenght and will it get more straight like .003 or .001 to get better accuracy shooting ?

just plan on get a gold tip expedition hunter or velocity hunter, both has .006 straightness, as they are worth the cost for budget hunter, reason i ask is cos friend want to bought from me direct gold tip

You'd have to be a pretty good archer to see much of a difference between a .006 arrow and a.003 arrow at hunting yardages, most couldn't tell past 50 yds.
    There are some who believe that you can improve the arrows straightness factor by cutting some form the nock end and some tip end, thinking that shafts are not as true at the ends.
    Visit our web site
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    2 06 Martin Slayers, 63 & 55#s Nitrous C X QuikTune 3000s and HHA OL 5519s on both.
    04 Martin Cougar Elite Nitrous C X Quiktune 1000

As our friend has stated 90% of archers could not tell the difference. I shoot & hunt with different arrows ranging from .001-.005'' at 5-40yds it don't matter what I shoot all my arrows will hold 2''. I only use .001 for 3-D no matter what & that's just me

08 GTO Thumper
    09 Elite GT500 Ninja aka el fabricante de viuda

www.trinitycustomstrings.com

well we're not doing the 3d shoot but just a backyard shooting for fun and hunting, as friend want to know about straightness if cut few inch end of shaft, then place nock before cut the arrow lenght does it make any different than .006 ?

This is a common practice for a lot of folks including myself, after trimming the nock end off a little (total amount depends on how much I need to cut off of the opposite) I then use a G5 squaring tool to make sure the end is 100% square with the shaft, this tool is used for truing up the shaft surface for nock bushings, as well as the opposite end for the points, point bushing and truing the edge of the bushing for broadheads.

Remember an arrow with the nock end that is not square is like hitting the cue ball with a little English in the game of pool.
    Square results in all forces being equal and the arrow launching straight while oscillating from the energy of the bow

Your question is valid it can help in having a finished arrow in which you can gain a straightness % because you are possibly trimming off an irregularities or flaws do to processing. Can one tell the difference in close up target shooting probably not, longer ranges 40 yards and beyond it could, As far as, for hunting and using full blades it can be real noticeable in relation to how much fletching is used to help correct the frontal steering effect.

Fletching and croaked or bent arrows
    Thatís why when using the smaller diameter or thin walled aluminum arrows for the youth / lower poundage bows in the indoor events the more helical you can get the less arrow culling you will do to keep your arrows in the X ring
    Short range back yard shooting you should be ok, but there's never anything wrong with trying to improve.

Good Luck

A little long winded I apologize.

JDX--
    The only one that is your competitor is the air between your ears!

in backyard we make our own bowshoot range that run up to 40 yards it all and dont shot over 40 yards, we just shoot there to warm up for hunting and come in shoot for fun with friends or family who will join.

friend and i use just 3 pin sight that run 20, 30, and 40 but in hunting situation we shot under 40 yards but most with average 25 yds shot from blind ground in woods and open field it depend on..