You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Thread: Shot execution

Hybrid View

Default Shot execution

I shot my 3-d round today, and it was not the best round i've ever seen....My string has some broken strands, not sure what that affects...if anything, but i was having a few visibility issues, hoping to get that fixed today, the bow held well, but my question is about the shot execution, i was shooting with ken lantz, a hoyt pro, and after the round i asked how he shoots his release, he says, he pulls to the wall, then relaxes a little, but keeps it against the wall, and waits for it to go off....evreyone's different, i get that.....but im still trying to find whats best for me....he also said for his thumb release, him among alot of other good shooters are basically squeezing the thumb peg like a trigger on a gun.....anyone have any opinions on these?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by kgoss33@gmail.com View Post
    I shot my 3-d round today, and it was not the best round i've ever seen....My string has some broken strands, not sure what that affects...if anything, but i was having a few visibility issues, hoping to get that fixed today, the bow held well, but my question is about the shot execution, i was shooting with ken lantz, a hoyt pro, and after the round i asked how he shoots his release, he says, he pulls to the wall, then relaxes a little, but keeps it against the wall, and waits for it to go off....evreyone's different, i get that.....but im still trying to find whats best for me....he also said for his thumb release, him among alot of other good shooters are basically squeezing the thumb peg like a trigger on a gun.....anyone have any opinions on these?

Thanks.
    Its each to there own. Different strokes for different folks. I try stay a little more aggressive then just relaxing and letting it go off. I like to pull into the wall and load my draw side. I do relax my release hand some but try to stay aggressive with the release. I pull untill it fires. If your release hand and fingers are relaxed some then the release will pivot on your index finger.
    I dont shoot a trigger much but when I do I relax my hand some but stay hard against the wall. Then I will gradually lay more pressure on the trigger untill it fires.

I prefer a hinge over a trigger but both styles are proven to win. The one thing I can say about a hinge is most people set the rotation to light. You need to set them slow so you can really get aggressive with you shot IMO.

Anyhow I hope some of this may help.
    Good Luck,
    Jame Jamison

Quote Originally Posted by jame View Post
    Its each to there own. Different strokes for different folks. I try stay a little more aggressive then just relaxing and letting it go off. I like to pull into the wall and load my draw side. I do relax my release hand some but try to stay aggressive with the release. I pull untill it fires. If your release hand and fingers are relaxed some then the release will pivot on your index finger.
    I dont shoot a trigger much but when I do I relax my hand some but stay hard against the wall. Then I will gradually lay more pressure on the trigger untill it fires.

I prefer a hinge over a trigger but both styles are proven to win. The one thing I can say about a hinge is most people set the rotation to light. You need to set them slow so you can really get aggressive with you shot IMO.

Anyhow I hope some of this may help.
    Good Luck,
    Jame Jamison

Jame,
    Are you pulling with your back, or your hand? i've tried both, and pulling works better that staying static and waiting....but i've never really tried to sit and wait for it to go off...just didnt seem right. What release do you shoot?

and thanks for getting back.

Default moment of truth

I draw into the wall and slowly rotate elbow to the back (modified back tension). This action pulls my hand against my thumb trigger. Don't know if this helps you but I've found what feels good to me. I'm shooting a older carter 3d 2000 release.

If I had a few broken strands on my string I would not suggest shooting that bow

Dan
    Maker of MEANV STRING SUPPRESSORS
    MAITLAND BOW DEALER
    Dealer for Slick Tricks, Vapor Trail Limb Driver & Strings, HHA sights, Viper Sights, etc.
    www.meanvarchery.com

Back tension has always been about pulling with the back and relaxing the hand/wrist to allow the shot to happen, it started with recurves and longbows .... it hasn't changed

The secret to shooting a hinge or thumb trigger is what part of your scaplua you move... Try only moving the lowest point ONLY in toward your spine and you'll see the motion that fires a hinge...
    Mike "Javi" Cooper