You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Red EYE peeps

Default Red EYE peeps

My buddy bought one, and he likes it, im not sure what the difference between one of those and a regular peep is, maybe there is no difference at all....it seems like it claims it draws more light into the peep, helping visability? is there any validity to this, or is it just an advertisement?

I have one and it has worked great for me. Some other people haven't had good luck with them as some had their string cut by sharp edges on the peep.

Sounds like a silly claim to me. a 1/8th hole or a 3/16ths hole or 1/4 hole from G5 or Fletcher or Specialty or red eye , the size of the aperture is going to be the determining factor.

There is evidence that a matte black hole that is recessed/shaded is the best way to go in prevent glare . ie, you wont find in serious iron sight target rifle shooter with anything other than a matte black peep and some take an extra step to 'blacken' them wth a lil soot/smoke.

Red eye got a real black eye by unloading many of these units with burrs on the edges which cut 100s of strings which the company replaced. Im frankly suprised they are still in biz after that but have to commend them by paying for the damage theyre defected accesories caused.

Considering what has been the standard peep for eons , the matte black smooth aluminum Fletcher is $4 or $5 and the red eye is like $15. i guess this300% bump allows more profit margin for dealers and allows more padding for replace all the twisted 8125 and 452 theyre product sliced? and colored peeps are more fashionable tham matte black.

When you buy a red eye, how do you know its not one of the defect ones? i dont want to chance putting one on my string to find out, do you?

To quote Jack Nicholsons character in a "few Good Men" now were going to find out if this forum can handle the truth.

I used one all last summer and hunting season. They are larger on the exit side hole than they are on the entrance side and definitely do gather more light. They are also a great seller because of the way they perform! I have the Red ones and a few Black & Pink in stock and more Black & Pink coming as soon as they are available.

There were a few bad prototypes that got out in Jan of 2010 but problem has been corrected a long time ago

Dan
    Maker of MEANV STRING SUPPRESSORS
    MAITLAND BOW DEALER
    Dealer for Slick Tricks, Vapor Trail Limb Driver & Strings, HHA sights, Viper Sights, etc.
    www.meanvarchery.com

There was actually about 600 defective ones got out most of them given away at the ATA show in 2010 many of them were able to be recalled. Mike did make good on any claims, and I doubt after selling over 40,000 peeps he is hurting

They were hardly unloading them as you put it

He has even expanded the Red Eye peep line this year to include Black & Pink, and I must say the 2011's look even better than last years.

I think you have been on AT too much

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Compound Comedian View Post
    Red eye got a real black eye by unloading many of these units with burrs on the edges which cut 100s of strings which the company replaced. Im frankly suprised they are still in biz after that but have to commend them by paying for the damage theyre defected accesories caused.
    MAITLAND BOW DEALER
    Dealer for Slick Tricks, Vapor Trail Limb Driver & Strings, HHA sights, Viper Sights, etc.
    www.meanvarchery.com

per Leupold optics or apertures do not gather light, they transmit light.

However you want to word it they work and that's all my customers care about.

My sales of G5's and Tru-peeps have fell off while sales of the Red Eye has sky rocketed. Most customers coming back and buying more peeps for all their bows.

Dan

per Leupold optics or apertures do not gather light, they transmit light.
    MAITLAND BOW DEALER
    www.meanvarchery.com

If you look closely at the peep you will see that the side facing up toward the sky is dished out to allow more light and give a crisper view. It works and works well, I've played with them and seen the difference easily.

The reason they are still "in business" is because they made a mistake, owned up to it, and took care of every customer without a single excuse. That goes along way toward gathering my trust and respect these days...which this business seems to lack more and more.
    I'm continually amazed at people who will openly bash a company on the net with no disregard of how it will affect the company and then claim to be "spouting the truth". The OP asked if they work, nothing more.

They work.
    Last edited by Rattlinman; 02-20-2011 at 05:51 PM.
    Strother shooting staff
    Goldtip shooting staff
    Scentlok advisory staff

I dont want to get in a big stink about this. The only valid point you guys are making is the Company stood behind its product and corrected the problem for customers.

On a non optical aperture it doesnt matter how scooped out it is. The size of the aperture hole is going to be the determining factor on how much light is transmitted. Considering in a low light enviroment the sun is just coming up or about to go down and typically isnt exactly at 12 o clock high or your under a shady foilage canopy.

Under most circumstances a de burred red eye is just as good as anything else when comparing to anything else with the same aperture size.

In a high glare ,difficult lighting enviroment, I have my doubts if it would be as good as a matte black unit.
    Last edited by Compound Comedian; 02-20-2011 at 06:35 PM.

I'm sure you've never used one

Dan

I dont want to get in a big stink about this. The only valid point you guys are making is the Company stood behind its product and corrected the problem for customers.

On a non optical aperture it doesnt matter how scooped out it is. The size of the aperture hole is going to be the determining factor on how much light is transmitted. Considering in a low light enviroment the sun is just coming up or about to go down and typically isnt exactly at 12 o clock high or your under a shady foilage canopy.

Under most circumstances a de burred red eye is just as good as anything else when comparing to anything else with the same aperture size.

In a high glare ,difficult lighting enviroment, I have my doubts if it would be as good as a matte black unit.
    MAITLAND BOW DEALER
    www.meanvarchery.com

spoken like a true salesman

Thank You!! It's hard to give an accurate review on any product you have not used. That's why I switch things up a lot so I have first hand experience, but............................

I also rely on feedback from all my customers. It really does give me a feel for what works for most guys and what does not

Dan

spoken like a true salesman
    MAITLAND BOW DEALER
    www.meanvarchery.com

If you have not used one, get one and try it. But don't bash it if you have not tried it.I have used one and it does make a difference. It has also cut my string. They sent me some of the gen 2 versions plus a check to cover replacement of my strings. But after the first cut string, I decided to get rid of them and go back to my G5. Not bashing them. Just no confidence.

Quote Originally Posted by asa1485 View Post
    If you have not used one, get one and try it. But don't bash it if you have not tried it.I have used one and it does make a difference. It has also cut my string. They sent me some of the gen 2 versions plus a check to cover replacement of my strings. But after the first cut string, I decided to get rid of them and go back to my G5. Not bashing them. Just no confidence.

ASA, difference in what?
    Did it benefit your aiming or shooting? or would it just be better suited for a treestand bow?

I understand the confidence thing. It is huge in Archery.

Honestly I have sold 100's of these peeps without even one issue. The 2011's even look better.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by asa1485 View Post
    MAITLAND BOW DEALER
    www.meanvarchery.com

Quote Originally Posted by kgoss33@gmail.com View Post
    ASA, difference in what?
    Did it benefit your aiming or shooting? or would it just be better suited for a treestand bow?
    It actually allowed more light in my peep in the evenings when hunting and I could see my pins better. Also, 3D season I did not get a glare when in full sun like I have with others.

So yes, it did benefit my shooting in both 3D and hunting. If you want one, I think I have a brand new 1/4 inch one I can send you.

Quote Originally Posted by MeanV2 View Post
    I understand the confidence thing. It is huge in Archery.

Honestly I have sold 100's of these peeps without even one issue. The 2011's even look better.

Dan
    I know. They are very popular and I really like them. I will just have to wait until all the string things die down and my confience goes up a little. The guys at EP have been nothing but great and standup about the whole deal. Wish other companies would follow their business model in that respect.

allright, I called my optical technician friend who's has the equipment to measure light transmission. He says get a redeye and a fletcher of the same size aperture and he can measure the amount of light transmission with a couple different pieces of equipment.

the test as he explained it is in a darkroom and a specific strength light source from the same distance, he can measure the amount of light getting through. He states the apeture size is going to be the only determining factor.He would be shocked if there is any measurable difference. Furthermore he states the reason why scopes and binos, camera lenses are matte black on inside is to cut out reflection and reduce distortion.

pm me and send me a red eye, I will buy a fletcher of the same size if i dont already have one that size and I will get them tested
    Last edited by Compound Comedian; 02-20-2011 at 08:09 PM.

Thanks but I hardly need a machine under an artificial situation to tell me something that my eyes and 100's of other customers tell me. The feedback is overwhemlingly positive for the Red Eye.

I have all 3 peeps in stock. It hardly makes me any difference but I do know what I will be shooting

I have customers tell me they prefer .019 pins, others prefer .029, yet some prefer .010, and some even prefer .039. That tells me everyones eyes can be different. I guess that's why they make all sizes.

Also the reason I stock all 3 peeps. People can get what they want, and after using them all. I have made my choice

I doubt if $6 makes much of a difference one way or the other

Dan
    MAITLAND BOW DEALER
    www.meanvarchery.com

to cut through the bull, yes you do.
    Last edited by Compound Comedian; 02-20-2011 at 09:38 PM.