You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Red EYE peeps

This is the reason AT sucks, you say one thing and it turns into a pissing match, it's all about proving a point, who knows more, instead of everyone adding their .02, its an ego thing, everybody is different, one person might shoot a BT release better than a caliper, and vice versa, none of it's wrong, it's about YOU, and YOUR personal needs.....i dont care about a light emission test, or what a hooter shooter tells me, or what a pro balance does for my stabilizer set up, when you add the human factor, everything becomes personal.

If everyone buying your red eye peeps are happy, awesome.....if your buddy is able to tell you how much light variance there is gona be between brand A, B, and C peeps, good for you too, but all i asked was what people thought, so apparently you dont like them, because your opinion is they dont do enough to make you switch, or even anything at all, Meanv you like them because of sales, and your own personal belief in them.
    thats all i was after, problem solved.

-Kyle

Hold up there . When Vapor trail peeps claims " superior light gathering properties" and Red Eyes claims "better aiming in low light situations" when in reality they are no better then anything else on the market , Im callin the BS.

Im not pro anything per say, I own fletcher and specialty peeps, there are others on the market that are just fine. Im not saying a de burred redeye or VT is a bad peep, if someone says theyre superior, prove it in an accurate, scientific way, not the snake oil method.

Remember the expensive carbon impregnated scent lock suits they used to sell and had to take off the market because it was all BS.

the test offer still stands. Im sure you will get acceptable results from a deburred redeye.

I dont like the taste of BS , some people cant get enough

I've never tried a Red eye, reading about em and asking questions is the best way i know how, i dont care about string weight, and i dont know if half the stuff companies claim to do, actually do what they are marketed to do....im just looking for something to make my sight picture even clearer than it is now.
    Im going to open class next year, and a scope works better for me, and im sure everything will be much clearer with that set up, but right now, im shooting MBR and i want the clearest sight picture i can get. I heard this peep was good for this stuff, just trying to clear thru the BS as well.

in most cases a smaller aperture will clear things up if that is an issue.the eye will focus easier on a smaller hole at the cost of light transmisson

Quote Originally Posted by kgoss33@gmail.com View Post
    I've never tried a Red eye, reading about em and asking questions is the best way i know how, i dont care about string weight, and i dont know if half the stuff companies claim to do, actually do what they are marketed to do....im just looking for something to make my sight picture even clearer than it is now.
    Im going to open class next year, and a scope works better for me, and im sure everything will be much clearer with that set up, but right now, im shooting MBR and i want the clearest sight picture i can get. I heard this peep was good for this stuff, just trying to clear thru the BS as well.
    You may have missed it but, my offer still stands. I have I believe a 1/4 inch red eye. If you want it, just pm me your address bud and I will get it out to you. It is the gen 2 model they sent me.

Quote Originally Posted by Compound Comedian View Post
    in most cases a smaller aperture will clear things up if that is an issue.the eye will focus easier on a smaller hole at the cost of light transmisson

So your saying if i put a smaller peep in my string, i'll see my sight picture clearer?

Im saying as a general statement, a smaller peep allows the eye to focus better. I dont know for sure what your issue is, you could need glasses or if you already wear them, need another prescription. Brite Site and Specialty archery also make verifiers and clarifiers, peeps with lenses in them to deal with certain eye issues.

G'day,

I'm new here, and just got back into archery after a 10 year hiatus, but I have a fairly good understanding of optics and apertures, since in those interveneing ten years I got into amateur astronomy and have picked up on a few things along the way.

Firstly, the red colour of the peep is to help the eye, as we have rods and cones on the suface of our retina, which are sensitive to specific wavelengths of light. Rods, from memory (correct me if I'm wrong) are sensitive to red and is picked up better than any other colour, as we have more rods than cones (left over from the days when we were lower on the food chain). Rods, and therefore the colour red, is better seen by our eyes under low light conditions, like dusk and dawn.

Now, as per the aperature, the red peep takes advantage of the doppler effect when looking down a sight tube, the longer the sight tube (imagine a galliean / refractor telescope, a small opening at one end, the end you look into and a larger objective end) the more the end of the sight tube will appear to narrow, therefore lessening the amount of light that may be available to act upon the retina. To counteract this effect, the end of the sight tube is widened, in direct proportion to the effect, therefore giving the appearance of a uniform tube. Widening the aperture with a slight conical shape will counter the doppler effects and maintain contrast. Increased contrast will also help with edge definition of the aperture to more precisely to align the edges of the aperture with the outside edge of the sight ring.

I recently have started making my own peeps, because I have not been able to find a satisfactory peep that is able to take full advantage of available light and maintain contrast. Also my eyes are getting older, and my dominant eye (right) needs a prescription grind on my glasses, needs special requirements to see properly, so I have found that a 5/32" I.D aperture is perfect for me. To minimise the doppler effect, I have made my peeps thinner, approximately 3mm thick, but the O.D of the peep is approx. 12mm wide. This width makes it easier to actually see peep itself and helps define the inside edge of the aperture to align with the sight ring.
    Bows: '99 Darton Cyclone & '05 Darton Avalanche - 52Ib @ 27.5"
    Stabilizer: Doinker 10" Multi-Rod Hunter Plus
    Arrows: Beman ICS Hawk / ICS Bowhunter 400 Carbons
    Release Aids: Tru-Ball Pro-Diamond T Handle, Standard Caliper Head
    Sights: GWS "Silver Talon" Single Pin, Pivot - Home Made 5/32" Peep

Quote Originally Posted by Compound Comedian View Post
    Im saying as a general statement, a smaller peep allows the eye to focus better. I dont know for sure what your issue is, you could need glasses or if you already wear them, need another prescription. Brite Site and Specialty archery also make verifiers and clarifiers, peeps with lenses in them to deal with certain eye issues.
    Actually, it's the opposite, Compound Comedian, a larger peep would help the eye to focus better, because a larger aperature would allow more light to reach the eye's lens and allow said light to act more efficiently upon the retina. You may be confusing it with the theory that a very small aperture may act as a lens by re-focusing or correctly aligning the light wavelengths as they pass through the aperture. I remember making pin hole film camera's in science class at school to demonstrate this effect. The size of the aperture will be totally dependent on how far the lens, or in this case, the peep, is from the eye and it's ability to allow sufficient light to properly act upon the lens of the eye and allow the lens to focus it correctly onto the retina. The biggest problem I see with most peeps is the edge definition of the aperture, or spherical aberration, this is an effect where the edges are blurry but the centre is clear and in focus. That is why I've made my own, my peeps allows for this effect and corrects it somewhat by the simple task of being thinner.

The size of an aperture is totally dependant on an individuals eye and it's lens characteristics, so a particular aperture may work for one, but may not work for another. It's up to the individual to decide what is best for himself through experimentation.

My dear down under friend, there is a plethora of information on the internet verifying my statement.
    A smaller peep will help the eye focus better, but as you go smaller, you start losing light and have to go bigger for indoor and a hunting rig needs to be bigger to handle low light situations.

Your "Red" explanation is so full of duck bill platypus droppings its ridiculously hysterical. Name one quality telescope or binocular or other optic instrument thats interior walls arent matte black on the inside. When Swarovski and Ziess start making there stuff with red anodized interiors, I will apologise, until then.....

As light diminishes , red is the 1st color to go, then yellow, then green last. Thats why green fibre optics is the best color.

http://74.6.239.185/search/srpcache?...3i5AxGUiAWUQ--
    Last edited by Compound Comedian; 02-21-2011 at 07:15 AM.

the bluriness is due to the eye can only focus on 1 plane. when your sighting your looking through a peep aperture a pin and the target. you should focus on the target and the pin and outer edges of the peep should be a lil bit blurry.

Wow, a guy comes in here (an optometrist from the looks of it) with actual science to explain why things work and you tell him he doesn't know what he's talking about.

? huh, the guy says he is an amatuer astromoner. My guy is an engineer with Vistakon.
    How many scentlock suits did you buy Super?

Anyone that thinks the same thing will work for everyone is either pretty narrow minded or very inexperienced, maybe even just hard headed.

It's the reason they make Single cams, Dual cams, Binary Cams, and Cam and 1/2's

It's also the reason I have Red Eye, Tru-Peep, G5 Meta, and Vapor Trail peeps all in stock.

I'm sure it is also the reason they make .010, .019, .029, & .039 pins

I also have guys request Red, Yellow, and Green top pins as their top pin because they can see one color longer than the other as dark sets in.

I sell them what they want and don't tell them it can't be true because that's not what I see or use

Dan
    Maker of MEANV STRING SUPPRESSORS
    MAITLAND BOW DEALER
    Dealer for Slick Tricks, Vapor Trail Limb Driver & Strings, HHA sights, Viper Sights, etc.
    www.meanvarchery.com

Central fixation involves the cones and photopic vision while fixating eccentrically involves rods and scotopic vision. The cones are more sensitive to yellow and red, but the rods are more sensitive to light of the blue and green wavelengths. The most sensitive wavelength for cones is 555nm (yellow-green). That is why the "optic yellow" tennis and golf balls are, in fact, easier to see under photopic conditions. The most sensitive wavelength for rods is 505nm (blue-green). Thus, blue-green lights will generally look brighter at night than red lights. The sensitivity of the eye changes from the red end of the visible spectrum toward the green end when shifting from the photopic(day) to scotopic (night)vision.

you just want a peep to transmit light through the aperture. so in low light hunting situations , the red peep should be just fine, in bright sunlight? , say your at a 3 d shoot and you standing in the sun and the target is in the shade, red is more visable in these conditions and may give you some unwanted distortion and cause you to focus on the peep and not on the target sub consiously. You dont want to see the peep, just look thru it as distortion free as possible and thats why matte black is the way to go.
    Last edited by Compound Comedian; 02-21-2011 at 12:58 PM.

Compound Comedian,

In reply, I wasn't 100% sure whether it was the rods or cones that was sensitive to red, so I stand corrected on that one (I did ask...).

I have tried, just recently, this theory on red colouring, on one of the peeps I made and painted it red and I really didn't notice any difference. Personally, I prefer the flat black coloured ones.

Also..., painting the inside of a camera lens, binocular or refractor telescope black will help stop reflections and maintain contrast, but if you open up a camera lens, binocular or refractor telescope, along with it being painted black inside, and numerous lenses, you will find aperature or "contrast" rings, thin "donuts" of metal, that are placed across the light path, and in certain specific positions along the lens tube in an attempt to block errant light that may enter the tube at an angle, assisting to stop internal lens flare and help maintain contrast. The black flat paint can reflect light, it just does it poorly, the best substance in my experience to use to stop internal reflections within telescopes, etc is coloured velvet or velour cloth, but it gathers dust and takes up too much room within the telescope. Glued cloth can in time loosen and fall, whereas paint won't, thats why manufacturers don't use it.
    Last edited by Stormforce; 02-21-2011 at 08:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormforce View Post
    Actually, it's the opposite, Compound Comedian, a larger peep would help the eye to focus better, because a larger aperature would allow more light to reach the eye's lens and allow said light to act more efficiently upon the retina. You may be confusing it with the theory that a very small aperture may act as a lens by re-focusing or correctly aligning the light wavelengths as they pass through the aperture. I remember making pin hole film camera's in science class at school to demonstrate this effect. The size of the aperture will be totally dependent on how far the lens, or in this case, the peep, is from the eye and it's ability to allow sufficient light to properly act upon the lens of the eye and allow the lens to focus it correctly onto the retina. The biggest problem I see with most peeps is the edge definition of the aperture, or spherical aberration, this is an effect where the edges are blurry but the centre is clear and in focus. That is why I've made my own, my peeps allows for this effect and corrects it somewhat by the simple task of being thinner.

The size of an aperture is totally dependant on an individuals eye and it's lens characteristics, so a particular aperture may work for one, but may not work for another. It's up to the individual to decide what is best for himself through experimentation.

Not agreeing 1 way or the other with the red eye peep. My thing is keep it simple and shoot. I think sometimes we think to much about things (me for sure) and it hinders our shooting ability and it becomes more of a job than fun.

The one thing I will say for most ( I did say for most ) A smaller diameter peep will clear things up but in a low light situation it will hinder your visibility. You have to test this your self to see which size works best for you. I shoot a 3/32 for 3D and a 1/16 for indoor.
    Good luck.
    Jame

in all honesty,I and this thread got a lil out of hand. Im sorry if i offended anyone.
    i get frazzled too easily with over the top advertised claims by the makers of the sporting gear for the sport I love

Quote Originally Posted by jame View Post
    I think sometimes we think to much about things (me for sure) and it hinders our shooting ability and it becomes more of a job than fun.
    ...gotta agree with you on that point, I have a tendency to over-analyse things that may be one off, strange occurances, but it's all fun for me. I enjoy the engineering side of archery, making new things to see if they work or not, sometimes it's just re-inventing the same old wheel, so to speak. Some ideas work, some are dismal failures, but the learning curve is always educational and entertaining to me.

I think we are all in agreement that, whatever marketing ploy or claims manufacturers use for us to purchase their products, we have to ultimately decide as individuals, by trial and experimentation, what works, and what doesn't. Otherwise we'd never advance and become the best archer we strive to be. If it's some little piece of equipment that bolsters our confidence just that bit further to increase our shooting ability than before, I think it's worth the expence to at least try new things as they become available.

Healthy, heated debate is always a good thing, Compound comedian. No harm done and I learned something to boot. I'm glad I joined this forum.

Mick.
    Last edited by Stormforce; 02-21-2011 at 09:08 PM.

Well, I hope you got your question answered kgoss, you should take 1485 up on his offer...he's a good guy and super cool to offer you one to try.

Science or not, if a person thinks it works, then it will and I believe they work. And yeah, I saw your lawsuit comment twice Comedian...I ain't gonna bite. They are still in business and sales are awesome. Check your facts brother

Good luck Kgoss and good shooting
    Strother shooting staff
    Goldtip shooting staff
    Scentlok advisory staff