You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Thread: Arrow tunning

Scent free & sittin High vortec 1's Avatar

Default Arrow tunning

I see the adds for tunning your arrows to fly all exactly the same. My question is how is this done? What other thing's can you do to achive this.I'm shooting 70lbs,400 Fatboys with 125gr field tips with glue in insert's and pin knocks.My bow is paper tunned and timed and I would like to fine tune each arrow. Thanks in advance
    HIGH COUNTRY SPEED PRO X10 "SPEED KILLS",HHA site,Carbon force Mayhem/Easton Fat Boy Arrows,Alpine quiver,TM hunter and Swhacker Broadheads.

They shoot your arrows through a hooter shooter and twist the nocks to get the best group.

If you want to do this yourself, set up a paper plate at the maximum distance that you can hit it, number your arrows and keep track of the ones that won't group with the others.

When you find them, twist the nock to the next fletching and shoot again. Keep doing this until all of your arrows group or you figure out which ones just won't. Save those for blank bale practice or give them to someone you don't like.

Allen
    Last edited by Allen; 02-24-2011 at 01:13 PM.

Is that why you sent me all those free arrows last week?

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    They shoot your arrows through a hooter shooter and twist the nocks to get the best group.

If you want to do this yourself, set up a paper plate at the maximum distance that you can hit it, number your arrows and keep track of the ones that won't group with the others.

When you find them, twist the nock to the next fletching and shoot again. Keep doing this until all of your arrows group or you figure out which ones just won't. Save those for blank bale practice or give them to someone you don't like.

Allen
    Hey thanks that's what I'll do
    HIGH COUNTRY SPEED PRO X10 "SPEED KILLS",HHA site,Carbon force Mayhem/Easton Fat Boy Arrows,Alpine quiver,TM hunter and Swhacker Broadheads.

Quote Originally Posted by Gator eye View Post
    Yes and it looks like you'll be getting some more

Quote Originally Posted by vortec 1 View Post
    What other thing's can you do to achive this. I'm shooting 70lbs,400 Fatboys with 125gr field tips
    I would recomend getting started with a properly spined arrow. Don't know how much energy your bow stores (ibo, draw length, ect) but my guess is that you are under spined. After you are sure you have that correct, you can move on to other steps.

Yep! How they shootin' for ya?

in Dixie Home of the Brave and land of the Free

Quote Originally Posted by vortec 1 View Post
    I see the adds for tunning your arrows to fly all exactly the same. My question is how is this done? What other thing's can you do to achive this.I'm shooting 70lbs,400 Fatboys with 125gr field tips with glue in insert's and pin knocks.My bow is paper tunned and timed and I would like to fine tune each arrow. Thanks in advance
    there is also a device that will find the sweet spot for you to place all you cack feathers at

Switchback xt BYC LOOP- SHOOT NOW56# 385gr 2312 Eclipse 100gr Muzzy 256fps SEPTER RANGER STRINGS, 4th axis,335 jammers @ 61# =285 fps

Float them in water, carbon arrow have seams, and will be heavest at the seam. Noch and fletch accordingly. Most of us, however can't outshoot a .003 arrow.

http://www.martinarchery.com/mtechfo...ead.php?t=8812
    Visit our web site
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    2 06 Martin Slayers, 63 & 55#s Nitrous C X QuikTune 3000s and HHA OL 5519s on both.
    04 Martin Cougar Elite Nitrous C X Quiktune 1000

Not under spined. Just want to make them all , number one arrows. Thanks to all. All have given me some very good ideas to go with. When I'm not tweeking my stuff, I'm thinking about it.

If you want to get obsessive compulsive about arrow building, there are a few other things that you can do:

1 - Buy good arrows with tight tolerances. Use the available software to choose the best spine for your set up.

2 - spine test to find the stiffest side on each arrow. I use spine testing over floating because I think spine alignment is more important than weight alignment. Others will have different opinions. If you think it's important, test both methods for yourself.

3 - adjust weight on your points so that they are exactly the same

4 - weigh your shafts and all components on a scale with a 1/10th grain accuracy. Then mix & match for exactly the same weight for all arrows.

5 - fletch with the **** vane aligned with the stiffest side. Re-weigh to adjust the weight variation due to the different amount of glue used.

6 - install the points and again adjust weight for variations in the amount of glue used.

7 - straighten your nocks with the Sterling Arrow Mate tool.

8 - group test as outlined above

9 - after shooting, re-weigh and straighten the nocks.

This is for carbon arrows. If you are using aluminum arrows, there is also the straightening step that I left out. Straightness of aluminums should also be checked after shooting.

If you are still sane after all of this, you are a better man than I am.

There are probably other things that the truly OC archers do, but this list is more than I can do and stay in archery. The only steps that I do any more are 1, 7 & 8. I'd rather be shooting my bow than weighing feathers.

Anybody know of any other arrow building steps? I probably won't do them, but it's still interesting to know about them.

Allen

Default Just what I'm look'in for

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    If you want to get obsessive compulsive about arrow building, there are a few other things that you can do:

1 - Buy good arrows with tight tolerances. Use the available software to choose the best spine for your set up.

2 - spine test to find the stiffest side on each arrow. I use spine testing over floating because I think spine alignment is more important than weight alignment. Others will have different opinions. If you think it's important, test both methods for yourself.

3 - adjust weight on your points so that they are exactly the same

4 - weigh your shafts and all components on a scale with a 1/10th grain accuracy. Then mix & match for exactly the same weight for all arrows.

5 - fletch with the **** vane aligned with the stiffest side. Re-weigh to adjust the weight variation due to the different amount of glue used.

6 - install the points and again adjust weight for variations in the amount of glue used.

7 - straighten your nocks with the Sterling Arrow Mate tool.

8 - group test as outlined above

9 - after shooting, re-weigh and straighten the nocks.

This is for carbon arrows. If you are using aluminum arrows, there is also the straightening step that I left out. Straightness of aluminums should also be checked after shooting.

If you are still sane after all of this, you are a better man than I am.

There are probably other things that the truly OC archers do, but this list is more than I can do and stay in archery. The only steps that I do any more are 1, 7 & 8. I'd rather be shooting my bow than weighing feathers.

Anybody know of any other arrow building steps? I probably won't do them, but it's still interesting to know about them.

Allen
    Thanks, This looks like enough to keep me busy as if we all had this kinda time.
    I ordered numbers yesterday to number them and to keep better track of what each one is doing consistantly.Once I'm done then if one drift's I can just blame me and my form or something stupid I'm doing!!!.

I use a sharpie and write the numbers on the vanes

I use a sharpie and write the numbers on the vanes
    Naw, thats way too easy, be sure to control the amount of ink used, wouldn't want to make that one vane heavier than the rest. I've used a sharpie to make barred Blazers, turn the solid colored blazer into a tiger barred vane, look great till the sun fades the ink !
    Visit our web site
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    2 06 Martin Slayers, 63 & 55#s Nitrous C X QuikTune 3000s and HHA OL 5519s on both.
    04 Martin Cougar Elite Nitrous C X Quiktune 1000

trophy class deer hunter archeryassasin's Avatar

hahaha i do that too but i use predator fletching and i make them look the the tiger blazers. i thought i was the only one hahaaha
    u aint seen country yet!

Here is a link to a traditional forum. IBO world champion Rod Jenkins describes his arrow building proceedures in the three "Arrow Madness" links

http://www.tradtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8687

This may be one of the sites where JAVI will be hanging out in the future.

Allen