You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Thread: is it just me

Default is it just me

it seems to me more people worry about how a bow sounds or jumps in there hand , then about how it holds or shoots for them .had a guy looking at two different bows a few weeks ago . his whole reason for how he chose is on how the bow drawed. now he says he wish he bought the other one .thing is the one that drew a little harder was 20+ feet faster . he could have gone down 10 lbs and achieved the same arrow speed as the other one with a easier draw .people seem to not understand if your going to compare a 300 fps bow to a 340 fps bow . to get how they feel you need to be 20 lbs different between the two to get the same end result .shoot the 300 fps at 60 or 70 . then compare the draw and feel to the 340 at 40 or 50 .then see what one seems to draw easier .

Nope your not alone.....the things people worry about with a bow or rave about blow my mind sometimes. Even more so after I draw or shoot some of these things that people fall in love with.

With the advancement of Bow design in the last few years an archer can pretty much get what they want.

Most bows are pretty darn quick anymore by standards from only a few short years ago.

Fast bows today hold better, are Quieter, more Shock free, and more Forgiving than most ever thought possible. It really is a Great time to be an Archer.

Dan
    Maker of MEANV STRING SUPPRESSORS
    MAITLAND BOW DEALER
    Dealer for Slick Tricks, Vapor Trail Limb Driver & Strings, HHA sights, Viper Sights, etc.
    www.meanvarchery.com

Quote Originally Posted by upnorth View Post
    it seems to me more people worry about how a bow sounds or jumps in there hand , then about how it holds or shoots for them .had a guy looking at two different bows a few weeks ago . his whole reason for how he chose is on how the bow drawed. now he says he wish he bought the other one .thing is the one that drew a little harder was 20+ feet faster . he could have gone down 10 lbs and achieved the same arrow speed as the other one with a easier draw .people seem to not understand if your going to compare a 300 fps bow to a 340 fps bow . to get how they feel you need to be 20 lbs different between the two to get the same end result .shoot the 300 fps at 60 or 70 . then compare the draw and feel to the 340 at 40 or 50 .then see what one seems to draw easier .
    I've been trying to explain this to people for a long time. It seems they all have too much testosterone and have to have a 70# bow to hunt with. They don't understand that a harder cammed bow doesn't feel so hard if you shoot 10# less weight. And as you so well state, the end result is the same as far as speed and kinetic energy are concerned.

YEAH BABY. LOOK AT ME. I'M A MAN !!!!!!
    Martin/Rytera Silver Star Shooter
    UBP Life Member
    PSAA Life Member
    Worldwide Scuba Diver

I have a bow that hurt to draw (shoulder), at 70 pounds. I switched the limbs out to 60 pounds. The draw is so much less harsh at 60 than at 70, even when I had the old limbs turned down to 64.

Cricket Spitting Champ

I agree, the bulk of buyers are worried about shock, noise, speed and draw.

What about the hold or how the bow feels? Do you like a hard wall and whats the valley like? Some like to to stay static others not. Most buyers are caught up in the hype and not what is going to help them make the shot. My bow is really fast and quite with no hand shock........I forgot to mention I can't hit____!

Part of the problem is the testing conditions to which most have to succumb. Many shops have a very short shooting space if any which makes it difficult to properly judge a bows hold and accuracy for said shooter.
    This is when the buyers turns to the easiest attributes available for direct comparison. It also takes time to become comfortable enough with a bow to judge its holding and accuracy potential. Many shops are becoming a drive through experience and expect decisions after a few shots.
    But the biggest factor is social media shoving the popular attributes of "shock free", "dead" down everyone's throat. Every beginning archer looking for evaluations and information are bombarded with these defining "qualities" that they believe those to be the essential traits of a good bow. That then becomes perpetual in the passing down of information via social medias.

I agree! The short A to A bows are another thing the media shoves down archers throats. Like you could never maneuver a 35" to 36" bow in a Treestand or blind

It's really up to each individual as to what feels, works, and shoots best for them. It's also why I always say Do Not get in a hurry when you buy a new bow. Shoot the Bows!! Shoot them a lot!! and Shoot them at 20 yards also! If a shop can not provide you a place to shoot at 20 yards and let you shoot to your hearts content I would find another shop to go to

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by TOOL View Post
    Part of the problem is the testing conditions to which most have to succumb. Many shops have a very short shooting space if any which makes it difficult to properly judge a bows hold and accuracy for said shooter.
    This is when the buyers turns to the easiest attributes available for direct comparison. It also takes time to become comfortable enough with a bow to judge its holding and accuracy potential. Many shops are becoming a drive through experience and expect decisions after a few shots.
    But the biggest factor is social media shoving the popular attributes of "shock free", "dead" down everyone's throat. Every beginning archer looking for evaluations and information are bombarded with these defining "qualities" that they believe those to be the essential traits of a good bow. That then becomes perpetual in the passing down of information via social medias.
    Maker of MEANV STRING SUPPRESSORS
    MAITLAND BOW DEALER
    Dealer for Slick Tricks, Vapor Trail Limb Driver & Strings, HHA sights, Viper Sights, etc.
    www.meanvarchery.com

Quote Originally Posted by TOOL View Post
    Agreed. The other problem I have is that the longer ATA bows are not even available to shoot. I would like to try a Supra and Dominator but I have to meet up with the PSE rep to do that. No local shops will stock them

I would be interested to hear what others deem to be most important. For me it is comfort at full draw...string angle, balance, wall and hold.

Quote Originally Posted by Chequamegon View Post
    I agree, the bulk of buyers are worried about shock, noise, speed and draw.

What about the hold or how the bow feels? Do you like a hard wall and whats the valley like? Some like to to stay static others not. Most buyers are caught up in the hype and not what is going to help them make the shot. My bow is really fast and quite with no hand shock........I forgot to mention I can't hit____!
    These are the issues that most manufacture advertise about.

I wonder how many weekend warrors really know what a good shooting bow feels like and how well they could shoot with a bow that properly fits.

Lets face it, unless you spend some serious time on line or reading the few books out there about archery your just taking the pro shops and manufactors word on what's important.