You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Thread: how many decoys

Default how many decoys

looking for a decoy that can fold down and put in pocket and what brand, and i'm not sure how many decoys i take to set up when do spring turkey hunting
    2 or 3 decoys ?

My son has the Montana decoy set-up two hens and a jake. They do fold up and fit into your pocket, but Elkslayer wanted a pac the keep all his turkey gear in one place so I made him this DekPak, has pockets for slates, strikers, mouth diaphrams, as well as the 3 deks, has 6 pockets and is padded with 1/2 foam. Another of EastOutfitters " nobody makes" products. Like the bike pack on my bike. and yeah, the deks are in this pic

how many decoys - Bowhunting forum

how many decoys - Bowhunting forum
    Last edited by elkslayer4x5; 03-05-2011 at 02:56 PM.
    Visit our web site
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    2 06 Martin Slayers, 63 & 55#s Nitrous C X QuikTune 3000s and HHA OL 5519s on both.
    04 Martin Cougar Elite Nitrous C X Quiktune 1000

I can't really comment on the foldable decoys because my decoys of choice are DSD's.

However, as far as number of decoys, I prefer atleast 3. Either a Jake and 2 hens or a Strutter and 2 hens. Last season we used a Strutter, a Jake and a couple hens with excellent results!

reason i ask is coz i just want put most in 1 turkey vest to set up and take down ..
    i really dont need a realsic decoy but a budget decoy that will always work like charm..

anyone use carry lite decoys ? they look great in price as flocks 1 jake 2 hens for 50 dollar, just curious if anyone have done it before

Quote Originally Posted by JTClark View Post
    anyone use carry lite decoys ? they look great in price as flocks 1 jake 2 hens for 50 dollar, just curious if anyone have done it before
    I've read good report of the carrylite deks, as long as you can get 'em stuffed into a pocket or two, you should be good to go, seems every one says about the same, a couple of hens, and a not so big tom or Jake.
    Visit our web site
    2 06 Martin Slayers, 63 & 55#s Nitrous C X QuikTune 3000s and HHA OL 5519s on both.

Quote Originally Posted by elkslayer4x5 View Post
    and a not so big tom or Jake.
    i agree with this. we played around with a strutting tom decoy last year and it intimadated most of the birds that saw it

trophy class deer hunter archeryassasin's Avatar

i use the 4 pack carry lite decoys and they all fit in my vest and look very realistic with the bobble heads.
    u aint seen country yet!

Quote Originally Posted by killbambidead View Post
    i agree with this. we played around with a strutting tom decoy last year and it intimadated most of the birds that saw it
    had the same problem.put out a big tom one year an had two come running across the bottoms right next to the river,i mean they ran at least 200 yrds an when they got about 50 yrds from the decoys they stopped an went way around.Figured they had made that mistake once and was'nt gonna risk it again.sense then i only use hens.bought 2 of those turkey skinz that fit over your decoy with real feathers,there easy to put on an take off.

Now that we've all got our decoys sorted out, when thoses toms start dropping, lets see some pic here.
    Visit our web site

trophy class deer hunter archeryassasin's Avatar

turkey season dont start till april 21st here.
    u aint seen country yet!

my hen's will fit in to a leg pocket..thou the steaks would be a pain to carry there. I Picked up that montana flock set on sale, And the struter Tom that came with it Is Huge... kid could use it as a blind... It had the repell efect on 20# birds... may try it for a coyote dek so its was mostly just the hen's i used..Son has a good idea this year put the big guy up once we get um commin in pull that big guy over with fishing line...may work so long as we dont let it "pop up at the wrong time" oh boy would them birds scatter the boy gets to start 9 ,10th i have to wait for 15th
    EastOutfitter Pro Staff Field Tester

Its all fun & Games. Untill you put that big boy on the ground..
    Now its time to get to work

Quote Originally Posted by Elkslayer View Post
    my hen's will fit in to a leg pocket..thou the steaks would be a pain to carry there. I Picked up that montana flock set on sale, And the struter Tom that came with it Is Huge... kid could use it as a blind... It had the repell efect on 20# birds... may try it for a coyote dek so its was mostly just the hen's i used..Son has a good idea this year put the big guy up once we get um commin in pull that big guy over with fishing line...may work so long as we dont let it "pop up at the wrong time" oh boy would them birds scatter the boy gets to start 9 ,10th i have to wait for 15th
    I've seen several folks just use a tail fan and keep it between them and the bird and belly crawl into shooting position.
    Visit our web site

sounds kinda like a shooting accident waiting to happen !!!! and for the decoys, i have had jake decoys even spook 2yr old toms so now i only use 2 hens (one feeding and one alert)

Default how nice

got a redhead decoy 2 hen, 1 jake from my dad for my late birthday gift, how nice he give, he's got me from bass pro shop and mail it out.