You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bad Deer mount

Scent free & sittin High vortec 1's Avatar

Default Bad Deer mount

I tell you, I am sick. I took in a brute to the taxidermist and got back a mount with an under sized form,the eyes no matter how many times I look at it just are not quit rite and the lip edge below the nose is to pronounced and the face is to narrow.I looked at this persons work and it was very nice. When I picked him up he looked ok but when I got him and on the wall and really took a good look, he was'nt rite.I have to vent as I am just sick about this.I can't even bring this up to my wife because she'll say (400.00) all that money!!! No I wont go back
    for a refund, nor name the place. I know in most cases the cape can not be reused but I have heard in some that it can.He's only been on the form for two weeks. If anyone has any ides please let me know.THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!
    HIGH COUNTRY SPEED PRO X10 "SPEED KILLS",HHA site,Carbon force Mayhem/Easton Fat Boy Arrows,Alpine quiver,TM hunter and Swhacker Broadheads.

Post a picture. They don't make a form for every size deer. To modify a form takes a lot of time to do and the profit margin in taxidermy doesn't allow that unless the taxidermist charges more. Did you measure it before and after to see how much difference there is?
    Athens Factory Staff Shooter
    Dead Center Archery Staff Shooter/Tru Ball staff shooter/Bohning Shooting Staff
    K&E Taxidermy
    http://www.freewebs.com/gerrystaxidermy/index.htm

Quote Originally Posted by kebees4 View Post
    Post a picture. They don't make a form for every size deer. To modify a form takes a lot of time to do and the profit margin in taxidermy doesn't allow that unless the taxidermist charges more. Did you measure it before and after to see how much difference there is?
    I'm not sure how to post pictures on this forum. I did'nt measure it and to be honest I can live with the neck size,but the head looks to small and narrow.
    He looks like a one and a half old instead of a three and a half. The eyes are what really bother me. I know its hard to help when you can't see it but the tops of the eyes look level but the bottom of the eyes are not rite.One looks semi squinted and the other is more wide open. It's like looking at a picture thats not level on the wall.I will try to take pictures of it tonight and figure out how to get them on here.
    HIGH COUNTRY SPEED PRO X10 "SPEED KILLS",HHA site,Carbon force Mayhem/Easton Fat Boy Arrows,Alpine quiver,TM hunter and Swhacker Broadheads.

To add pictures when you "Reply" There is a paperclip, click on it and browse to add attachments. Upload them then post.

Or you could use one of those other sites and just post a link

Default Thanks Wheely

I will take pictures tonight and put them on here.

Ya i gotta see this...................hope you get pics up......
    2010 PSE AXE 7

Default Here they are

I looked in detail tonight and the rack is even angeled forward on what would be his left side.I looked at pictures as he has another pedistol on the base of his right side for either a droptine or another point which broke off before I shot him.I wanted to see if that would cause his rack to be this way but it's straight in the kill shot picture.Look at the left eye. You can see what I gave and what I got.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by vortec 1; 04-06-2011 at 12:29 AM.

Default 9 Year old mount ten more pounds(what I expected to be like)

My 8 point bow kill from nine years ago and my 9 point from eight years ago.I would have gladley paid more for a better form,not that money grows on trees here,but after 400.00 what's a little more to have it done rite.Any suggestions?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by vortec 1; 04-06-2011 at 12:36 AM.

The biggest problem I see are the eye's, they look like he's ready to fall asleep.

Nice deer.

Quote Originally Posted by Gator eye View Post
    The biggest problem I see are the eye's, they look like he's ready to fall asleep.

Nice deer.
    Also don't look to have ear butts. I agree it isn't a very good looking mount. I do taxidermy as a hobby and wouldn't feel good charging that for that mount.
    K&E Taxidermy

Default Thanks everyone

I too have been looking at doing taxadermy as a hobby and this is a good reason to do my own deer heads. I just don't understand how, if you do this everyday that you could pass this. I just hunt them and I know what a good mount should look like. Looks like he's going upstairs t'ill I can figure out what i'm going to do. One hunt,One kill, One memory,One big dissapointment.

Go to my link below to look at my work and let me know what you think. I have a lot that I haven't had time to put on there. I only charge $325 and I tan the skin. Some use dry preservative and they don't hold up as long.
    K&E Taxidermy

go to my link below to look at my work and let me know what you think. I have a lot that i haven't had time to put on there. I only charge $325 and i tan the skin. Some use dry preservative and they don't hold up as long.
    very,very nice work!!!
    I've found online that there have been some who have reused the cape but I they say it's kind of a pain but can be done. I have another taxadermist that I researched last summer and I'm going to get his take on putting him on the correct form and try to get it the way it should be.
    Last edited by vortec 1; 04-06-2011 at 01:57 PM.

Sometimes they can be remounted depending on what adhesive they used and how it was tanned. It is a very difficult task to reuse the cape. It is easier to buy a new cape. They can be picked up as cheap as $65 if you look in the right place. Get some taxidermy videos to get started. If you are looking for some I have some for sale.
    K&E Taxidermy

Sometimes they can be remounted depending on what adhesive they used and how it was tanned. It is a very difficult task to reuse the cape. It is easier to buy a new cape. They can be picked up as cheap as $65 if you look in the right place. Get some taxidermy videos to get started. If you are looking for some I have some for sale.
    Hey thanks for the advice.I going to hold off on the videos for now as I just put 700.00 into my archery stuff and 400.00 into this deer head.I'm going to see what I can do to get this deer head right Saturday.

if you want to get it remounted I'd just let all your buddies know you need a cape im sure someone next year will shoot a buck theyre not gonna mount

Quote Originally Posted by killbambidead View Post
    if you want to get it remounted I'd just let all your buddies know you need a cape im sure someone next year will shoot a buck theyre not gonna mount
    I thought of that but the problem here in Michigan is most have the mentality that if its brown it's down.Most bucks don't make it past one and a half. A one and a half year old is going to be around 150'lbs. My buck is three and a half around 185'lbs so trying to find a cape for him is going to be a real challenge unless I buy one. I know to most the horns are the trophy but to me the cape is too.
    I'll know more of what's my option's are of saving the cape on Saturday. If no one wants to take it on, I may end up doing it myself because I will put the time into it to get it the way it should of looked in the first place.I've been thinking about getting into taxidermy for years and have watched enough video's to know what's involved, I just did'nt want this deer to be the first one to learn on.Thankyou very much for your idea!!!

After two opinions, it looks like the eyes are going to get redone and replaced and the bottom lip redone. The cape was too dry to take a chance, so I went with just trying to correct the things that most will probley not notice anyway but it will look better to me. When you look a someones work, (Make sure that person is one doing the work) In the process of all of this I did find someone that does beautiful work and is the only one who does the work.

That is a real bummer. I have a few older mounts I got done for very cheap. A buddy of mine was practicing so I let him do a few of my deer. I will probably have both of them redone in the future. I have a taxidermist now who does very good work and most of the time he will reshape the forms, by hand, to make it look 10 times better.

Quote Originally Posted by Kighty7Xtreme View Post
    That is a real bummer. I have a few older mounts I got done for very cheap. A buddy of mine was practicing so I let him do a few of my deer. I will probably have both of them redone in the future. I have a taxidermist now who does very good work and most of the time he will reshape the forms, by hand, to make it look 10 times better.
    Hey thanks.With his eyes nose and mouth redone, hopefully he will look alot better,I have two months to wait.If not ,then I will live with it ti'll I can get a new cape.I found a new taxidermist that also reshapes the forms and does unbeleavable work.
    Last edited by vortec 1; 05-06-2011 at 04:02 PM.