You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default Letting down is the hardest thing to do at a tournament.

Ok, here is what happened. I was shooting a new setup. New bow, sight, strings , rest, arrows and so on. Really happy throughout the day with the way I was shooting. Made a couple mental errors but nothing I could not live with. Then the next to last target (it was a 3D shoot). I never keep track of my score. But I was happy with my shooting. My group walks up to the target. As we are walking we see people on bicycles going behind the target and realize there is a road there. Literally about 20 yards behind the target. So, I am up to shoot at full draw and starting to pull through the shot. I hear a car coming. I know I should let down but I am already pulling through. So, I force the shot to go off. What happened you may ask. I pushed out the bottom of the bow and shot slam over the top of the target for a goose egg. Really ticked me off. Not because of the car or even missing for that matter. But because I know I should have let down.

Come to find out I would have tied with a 10 or won with a 12 for first place. Ended up in second spot.

Oh yeah. I grabbed another arrow and shot the target again. 12 was just a little bigger then a dime on a small bodied deer at 30 yards. Ended up pinwheeling the 12 on the reshoot. That is the real kicker.

So, lesson learned. But, what do you guys do to get used to letting down. Also, anything like this ever happen to you?

Train to never shoot a shot that isn't right... by never shooting a shot that isn't right in practice..
    Mike "Javi" Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by JAVI View Post
    Train to never shoot a shot that isn't right... by never shooting a shot that isn't right in practice..
    That's the thing, I let down in practice. But when I am on the course, I am just trying to concentrate on the target and not really on what I am doing. And, it just never comes to mind. Until it is too late that is

I guess that's what they mean by saying "good shot" when you let down..

Yep

Quote Originally Posted by JAVI View Post
    i need to start doing that my self. sometimes i just pull the trigger to get the shot over with and hope for the best. BAD HABBIT!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by srj26 View Post
    i need to start doing that my self. sometimes i just pull the trigger to get the shot over with and hope for the best. BAD HABBIT!!!!!!!!!
    It's a terrible habbit.......and a hard habbit to break.

Its easy all you have to do is let down, do it in practice and do it in your game. If something doesnít feel right, let it down take a deep breath and start over and again if it doesnít work repeat. Many folks have pinned the X after letting down multiple times on the same arrow. Itís simple you just shut down and start over.

Itís really simple once you let yourself do it, after seeing what can result from it you tend to let down more often and with less resistance.

Shoot smart donít gamble your shots
    The only one that is your competitor is the air between your ears!

Quote Originally Posted by asa1485 View Post
    That's the thing, I let down in practice. But when I am on the course, I am just trying to concentrate on the target and not really on what I am doing. And, it just never comes to mind. Until it is too late that is
    It's easy to fall into that style of shooting. But if you teach yourself to shoot the process and not the result it can work much better.. Start by thinking of the process as a check list.. if you don't feel the individual process is correct stop and start over.. this begins with your setup to the target if your stance isn't correct then the shot is lost, and continues process by process until the arrow hits the target..
    Mike "Javi" Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by JDX-- View Post
    Its easy all you have to do is let down, do it in practice and do it in your game. If something doesnít feel right, let it down take a deep breath and start over and again if it doesnít work repeat. Many folks have pinned the X after letting down multiple times on the same arrow. Itís simple you just shut down and start over.

Itís really simple once you let yourself do it, after seeing what can result from it you tend to let down more often and with less resistance.

Shoot smart donít gamble your shots

Nice to see you back

Thanks for the help guys. Some great info.

Quote Originally Posted by keb73 View Post
    I guess that's what they mean by saying "good shot" when you let down..
    Loosely translated...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=angi1vwUkQc

trophy class deer hunter archeryassasin's Avatar

i agree, letting down is a useful tip. i was taught that u should make every shot count
    u aint seen country yet!

i have a hard time letting down and shooting bt sometimes i'm afraid too even though i know i can safely

i let down alot if it doesnt feel right i start over . especially when i shot my answer releases . i could get through two no shots and still make a good shot but if it clicked 3 times id let down and start over use to drive guys nuts watching me shoot it at 3d tournys .did it for 12 years .

I shot a 300 one night and I let down about every two to three shots. Had I not let down that night I would not have shot a 300. Definetely tired me out shooting 60 arrows with an axtra 20 mixed in.
    Baldys Archery and Bow Strings, Berlin Center, Ohio
    Sure-Loc
    BowTech
    Smooth Stability