You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default Sun bursting....

So, i got a new sight, the Axcel armortech HD pro, .10 pins, and the HS setting, i then got it pretty close, just need to fine tune a few yardages....but my question is this.....

It seems like when i use it, and the pins arent totally crisp in my sight picture, i will get a sun bursting affect and i'll end up aiming with a part of the burst, not the pin....causing misses....and it's not an inconsistent miss, i literally have different groups, like, 2 will group a little high left, 3-4 dead center, and 1-2 low right, and its' almost everytime....it drives me nuts, granted today was a bit windy, and i've only had the sight a few days....would i benefit from moving my sight further in, or out? i have a 3/16" peep, and it fits the housing perfect, but the pins seem to burst alot....when they are clear i shoot very well with them, but the bursting essentially causes misses just due to how big or small the burst it.....
    if i focus on the pin, more than the target, i can get a pretty clear pin, if not it kinda fuzzes, then the shot goes off, all my shots are quality shots...im not just flinging arrows...when u make a great shot, and expect it to be dead center, and it's not...it bothers u....this bursting is causing misses and it needs to stop...i tried covering up the fiber optics w tape, but then i have no pin colors at all, causing me to aim w a part of the pin neck, not the actual optic, causing misses, when i started aiming without the tape, i shot well, but still those bursts happened, then when i focused harder on the pin, and not the target, i would shoot a little better, but still some misses, what can i do to fix this.....!!!!!!

I have a 37 degree specialty archery peep also, no apertures in it currently.

That's a tough question.....I have the same problem with fiber optic's especially in bright sunlight. I've tried all different colors and green is the one I live with for hunting purposes.

I went to a scope with a dot on the lense for 3d.

Take your pins out and take a black felt marker and black out about a inch of the fiber from the pin tip back. that would be all the way around the fiber as well. This will help with the Haloing effect that you are talking about.

2012 Bow Tech Pro Staff
    Sword Pro Staff Vane Tech Pro Staff
    Gold Tip Factory Staff Coffey marketing
    A.S.A. IL. State Director

Default sunburst

I have had this same problem with sureloc, viper, and HHA. The same brightness that we look for in a hunting sight is the same thing that we try to fight on a 3d course in full sunlight. I have tried several things electrical tape, shortening the fibers, and velcro coverings. I have also tried .010 and .019 pins.
    The best thing I have found so far is a combination of restricting light(tape or velcro) and a sunshade to stop any toplight from helping the pins. Adjustability is the key to light management. One shot may be in full sun and the next may be in a dark tunnel. Just like everything else in archery you have to try things until they work for your situation.

This is the reason I like the Montana Black Gold Flashpoint. It has a phontochromatic shell around the fibers that turns purple when in bright sunlight. But when in low light it stays clear to allow the most light possible to keep the pins nice and bright. The marker idea is a good one except for when you go from the bright light out in a field to the shadows in a woods.

"HONDA"

Quote Originally Posted by CSS Shooter View Post
    Take your pins out and take a black felt marker and black out about a inch of the fiber from the pin tip back. that would be all the way around the fiber as well. This will help with the Haloing effect that you are talking about.
    I have also done this in the past on all green fibers and it has worked well for me. A sun shade for full sun and an adjustable light for shots in the shadows will also be helpful. I recently started playing with blue fibers and it seems to be the best ( for me ) so far, but I'am still working with it.
    Canam Connections/Tru Ball

The marker works well for me as I also run a LP light on my .010 pins for tourney rig. I have never had a problem w/ my hunting site.

2012 Bow Tech Pro Staff
    Sword Pro Staff Vane Tech Pro Staff
    Gold Tip Factory Staff Coffey marketing
    A.S.A. IL. State Director