You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Thread: release

Default release

I am wondering what type of release aid everyone uses and if they like it. I use a tru fire wrist strap. I am thinking of getting a carter 4 finger. Opinions would be nice.

Senior Member rdnkgrl_robinhood's Avatar

Well I personally shoot a wrist strap release, the Truball Short-N-Sweet. It was one of the few wrist style releases that I could find that would fit my hands. It's a little harder to find good stuff in the archery department for women.
    Anyway, there is a huge difference in shooting a hand held BT release and wrist strap style release, I highly suggest that before you whip out a 100 bucks on a new hand held of any kind that you find a few and try them out. You have to shoot it to see if you are even going to like it. Changing release styles is like taming a whole new animal, it will take a lot of time and a lot of work to get used to something new.

Try a few, try several,

Good Luck,
    rdnkgrl

I have a Carter Insatiable thumb trigger and I also have a Zenith back tension, Like them both alot, I really like the way the shot goes off with the Back tension, when everything goes right man that feels awesome
    Target: Hoyt ProElite XT3000 C2, 60# 30", CBE Quad Lite, CBE 3x .019, Trophy Taker, Easton Fatboy 400's(indoor) lightspeed 400 (outdoor)

Hunting: 2009 Alphamax35 (Blacked out) 70#, 29", HHA Slider, Bisquit, Easton ACC 3-60, Rage 100 gr. 2 blade

I had been using a TRU Ball Tornado for a couple of years, which I liked, and switched to a Winn Archery glove release for hunting this season, which I like better. I recently bought a Carter Solution 3 which I plan on using for 3D. The Solution 3 is pretty versatile in that it can be converted between a thumb trigger and BT release just by inserting/removing a screw. I have not tried the BT feature yet but that's on the horizon. I would say that I'm definitely more accurate with the Carter than the Winn shooting in the yard, but I would never use the Carter or any other hand-held type release for hunting. To me that would feel really awkward and if you drop it your screwed... Not only that but with a glove on the hand held don't feel right to me.

The best thing to do is try as many as you can. They all feel a lot different, even between 2, 3 and 4 finger releases. I found it fun but challenging going from a wrist/glove release to a hand held. But, like I said, I'm more accurate with the hand held now that I'm getting used to it.

Ron

Site Guru

T.R.U Pro-Diamond w/ Caliper head
    No I'm not dead

I have been shooting a Carter insatiable for the last 6 years. 5 years now with the one I am shooting. I am thinking about getting another.
    Mathews!!
    vibracheck stabilizers
    carbon express
    steiner optics
    custom bow equipment

thanks for the input

Stan Super X for a while and just picked up the Carter Evolution. The carter is nice, just takes getting used to. It will definitly show your flaws in form, which is a good thing. I shot a vegas 450 round yesterday with it for the first time and only dropped 6 points off of my average. I think I am going to keep using the carter untill I get my form down good.

Default tru ball

tru ball titan love it... and tru ball is fast if you have a problem..
    Mathews DXT

HHA

mathews drop away rest

Victory V1

Shrewd stabilizer

I have had the same issue of trying to get away from a wrist release ot shooting a back tension. I did not like the thumb trigger releases and did not want to take a year to learn a true back tension. After some trial and error I have found a great balance between the two in the Copper John Four finger eagle.

Go to this review and read about it.
    http://bowcountry.com/bows/testtune/eagle.nmpl

I absolutely love it. It is the best of both worlds no more punching.

YOU! Get in my belly! two_shoes's Avatar

Default Zenith

I have just comitted to my Zenith comfort 4 finger. I just started using it yesterday. I have toyed with it for about a week with a string loop. 2 weeks ago I shot a 393 for the Vegas 450 with my trigger release. Tonight I shot a 412. Not a HUGE improvement but no loss as well, which was a little more important to me. I had a couple of "flyers" because I forced the shot and didn't let down to start over. I felt pretty comfortable with changing over to it and changing my grip too (I was heeling the bow over)
    I agree with trying a couple of different BTs as they all have little nuances. I just happen to like the simplicity of the Zenith.

-Two_shoes
    "The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Eph. 2:8-10

Default short-n-sweet

SHORT-N-SWEET the name says it all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! release - General Archery Forum