You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
    Senior Member Southernfryedyankee's Avatar

Default Shooters who Shoot with both eyes open.

I have noticed when I shoot with both eyes open my pin and sight aperature is slightly doubled, not in size but like a fuzzy mirror of eachother, Is there anyway to crispen or combine the 2 together to get a clearer sight picture? It reminds me of Rocky when he was fightin Drago and he told Paulie that he saw 3 of him and Paulie said hit the 1 in the middle, I would like to alleviate the mirages and hit the 1 in the middle hahaha. Is there a tradeoff, like if I can get the pin and aperature clear will the target be all fuzzy? I can always go back to shooting with 1 eye closed but if I can learn with both eyes open id like to. It seems for me, the less my brain does the better I shoot, go figure
    Her hair glistened in the rain like a nose hair after a sneeze.

http://www.godscountryoutdoors.net
    http://http://www.meanvarchery.com/home.html

I shoot with both eyes open. I also have independant vision (only use one eye at a time). It sound like you may have a cross eyed thing going on. Your brain is telling you to focus on the peep instead of focusing on the target. You may also be strugling with your dominant eye. If you shoot right handed and are left eye dominant it might cause this problem. I would try to focus as far down range as you can, almost like trying to burn a hole in the x. The peep should be blured, the sight ring slightly less blured, the pin and target clear, but no double images. I am no expert but I hope I may have helped.
    Bowtech Sniper 55lb 29" draw
    Easton ST Excell 400 with blazers, 100 grain field point
    True ball fire ball release, Octane 7" stabilizer, hostage capture rest, Spot Hogg Hunter sight

There is a product called a Double-vision Blocker. They have a website and an Ebay store. Basically it is a flat piece of plastic that is attached to your scope/sight housing and enables you to keep both eyes open. I have friends that shot with them and got me to try it and it works. Cheap enough that if you don't like it you can take it off.

More then likely it will go away. Most of us when we start shooting with both eyes open have the double vision issue....it went away for me in a couple days. I found if I blinked or closed the one eye for a second the double vision would go away.

I had the same thing for a bit. Mine went away with some practice. My only trouble now is sometimes my left eye takes over if I'm not paying attention. I'm right eye dominant so I don't know why i focus with the left once in awhile. It's cost me a few deer over the years.

Senior Member Southernfryedyankee's Avatar

I will keep working on it, I find that the less my brain has to do, the more accurate I am. I thank everyone for all the replies
    Her hair glistened in the rain like a nose hair after a sneeze.

http://www.godscountryoutdoors.net
    http://http://www.meanvarchery.com/home.html

Quote Originally Posted by Brown Hornet View Post
    More then likely it will go away. Most of us when we start shooting with both eyes open have the double vision issue....it went away for me in a couple days. I found if I blinked or closed the one eye for a second the double vision would go away.
    I agree, squint or close your eye for just a second and that should clear it up

I actually shoot left handed but I'm right eye dominant. I started shooting both eyes open at a young age not because I was told it was a better way to shoot but it seemed more comfortable. I learned to shoot against with my nondominant eye and it works well for me but you definitely do get the cross-eye thing going on lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the double or blurred vision thing doesn't go away...pick up a blinder and it will still give you the extra light benefit of both eyes open but no double vision.