You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Thread: Draw length

Default Draw length

I have been noticing that my draw length has been getting a little long on my proelite. When i made a new tape for my field arrows I measured the bow at 30.250" on the draw. I normally like to be at 30.125" or a little under. The thing is i have never been properly measured. I had my wife measure me a couple minutes ago and by measuring wingspan and dividing by 2 1/2 it comes out to 28.900" So my question is to the guys who know how far past that number can you shoot to and still be accurate. i have always shot a 29" draw for hunting and between 30 and 30.125" for target. Have I been hindering my shooting for all these years?
    Target: Hoyt ProElite XT3000 C2, 60# 30", CBE Quad Lite, CBE 3x .019, Trophy Taker, Easton Fatboy 400's(indoor) lightspeed 400 (outdoor)

Hunting: 2009 Alphamax35 (Blacked out) 70#, 29", HHA Slider, Bisquit, Easton ACC 3-60, Rage 100 gr. 2 blade

In my experience, yes. But, not that much.

I was measured the old fashioned way by some shop west of here by streching one arm out and measuring to my nose. Long story short, said I was 27.5" when my true length is 28.5".

The biggest postive change that came from shooting my correct DL was shooting comfort. I used to get neck strain and low back pain after shooting from scrunching every thing in to line up my peep and pins.

Being more comfortable has no doubt helped my scores due to not having to strain to attain proper shooting form.
    Be good or be good at it.

Finding the correct draw length for YOU is crucial to shooting great scores. You will want to try changing your draw lengths by 1/16 or 1/8 of an inch until you find out what aims best for you.
    Chris Christenson - Admin
    3DShoots.com - Find Archery Shoots near you
    ObsessionArchery.com - Archery Supplies

Wingspan is just a ballpark method. It does not take into account your actual arm length, chest width, neck length, nose length, etc, etc. IE: Your individual build.
    FBSA Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Finding the correct draw length for YOU is crucial to shooting great scores. You will want to try changing your draw lengths by 1/16 or 1/8 of an inch until you find out what aims best for you.
    so how do you change the draw length by 1/16 and 1/8 incraments?

Usually by a few twists or untwists of the string or cable.
    FBSA Member

Gonna take some time to fix it. I have been too bullheaded over the last 2 years and not took the time or didnt want to change things cause a shoot was coming up. tired of messing around just gonna get right. I was just lying to myself saying that i was too shaky cause i havent been shooting like i used to. I do remember being more comfortable at around 30" going to the shop today gonna change some things up
    Target: Hoyt ProElite XT3000 C2, 60# 30", CBE Quad Lite, CBE 3x .019, Trophy Taker, Easton Fatboy 400's(indoor) lightspeed 400 (outdoor)

Hunting: 2009 Alphamax35 (Blacked out) 70#, 29", HHA Slider, Bisquit, Easton ACC 3-60, Rage 100 gr. 2 blade

It will help to have someone looking at your form when you make these changes. Alignment of the back elbow will tell a lot about how close you are to having it correct.

Now, what I'm about to tell you is what I look for and it doesn't work for everyone and there are many ways to shoot.

Looking at the shooter from the side, I want to be able to draw a line from the elbow down through the wrist all the way down the arrow. If he line for your elbow causes the line to drop below the arrow or climb above the arrow, then something is not right.

Ok, now straight behind the shooter looking toward the target. Again, we are watching the elbow. Again, looking at how it aligns with the arrow. An imaginary line from the tip of the elbow should got right down the arrow. For a right hand shooter if the line points left, the draw is too short. If it points right, it's too long.

Now if the line points slightly left but pulls around to straight just before the shot breaks, then you are good to go.

If you need more help, let me know. I may be able to come up with some pictures.
    Chris Christenson - Admin
    3DShoots.com - Find Archery Shoots near you
    ObsessionArchery.com - Archery Supplies

The windspan method is a ballpark measurement....its a starting point. But I have NEVER seen a case that had someone way over like you are. Your longer for hunting then what it says and WAY over for target. I would say your probably closer to 29" then 30".

I know some people shorten up a little for hunting....but if you have to go a full inch shorter your probably really long to start with. I shoot a shorter draw for hunting...but only by a few twist. Not inches.

Stand facing the wall like your at fulldraw with your fist on the wall like it's your bow. Measure from the wall to the corner of your mouth. Bet your probably a lot closer 29" then 30".

[Q
    Stand facing the wall like your at fulldraw with your fist on the wall like it's your bow. Measure from the wall to the corner of your mouth. Bet your probably a lot closer 29" then 30".[/QUOTE]

I like this method better then the wing span, it'll get you real close.

Quote Originally Posted by Brown Hornet View Post
    The windspan method is a ballpark measurement....its a starting point. But I have NEVER seen a case that had someone way over like you are. Your longer for hunting then what it says and WAY over for target. I would say your probably closer to 29" then 30".

I know some people shorten up a little for hunting....but if you have to go a full inch shorter your probably really long to start with. I shoot a shorter draw for hunting...but only by a few twist. Not inches.

Stand facing the wall like your at fulldraw with your fist on the wall like it's your bow. Measure from the wall to the corner of your mouth. Bet your probably a lot closer 29" then 30".
    I always thought it was to the corner of your jaw bone?

Got it all straightened around my draw length is 29.5" it seems as though my wife cant read a tape measure. So I wasnt as far off as I thought, I was having a hard time wrapping my head around what I got when my wife measured me.......kept thinking there no way in he)). and there wasnt. but got my proelite set right about 29.750 and it feels great