You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
    Scent free & sittin High vortec 1's Avatar

Default Big Bucks in you area

Just wondering what the average body weight, age and score of the big bucks in your area. In Michigan an average buck would be around 150lbs at around one and a half. If they make it to two and a half or three and a half anywhere from 185 to 225lbs.Our deer are so pressured here, most don't make it past one and a half.The best I been able to get is a 135 class.I have seen bigger bucks but it was not ment to be.I see pictures of some of bucks from the avatar's and we have a better chance of getting struck be lightning than seeing a 150,170 class buck. Just wondering?
    HIGH COUNTRY SPEED PRO X10 "SPEED KILLS",HHA site,Carbon force Mayhem/Easton Fat Boy Arrows,Alpine quiver,TM hunter and Swhacker Broadheads.

I think your guessing the average alittle high for Michigan.

Most shot are 1.5 year old with milk stains lips.......I would say 125 pound average in michigan right now.

Now loook at the average doe shot, I bet with the war on does michigan is involved in, the average weight for a doe is about 80 pounds.

Sad, sad state of affairs here in the great lake state.

Quote Originally Posted by Gator eye View Post

Most shot are 1.5 year old with milk stains lips.......I would say 125 pound average in michigan right now.

Now loook at the average doe shot, I bet with the war on does michigan is involved in, the average weight for a doe is about 80 pounds.

It's much the same here in Pa. The Game Commission, in their infinite wisdom has declared a war on deer and think they need to kill as many as can be done. Of course they keep posting near record numbers in their deer kill reports, but with a two week deer season (kill anything that walks) people get multiple doe tags and just keep flingin lead. This one of the many reasons I have given up hunting altogether.
    Martin/Rytera Silver Star Shooter
    UBP Life Member
    PSAA Life Member
    Worldwide Scuba Diver

Ok,I'll see ya half way on the average. You said it, on the sad state of affairs here. Now they are talking about
    moving opening of gun to the Saturday before the 15th. So much for primetime hunting.

Bfisher, here in Michigan we wish we had just 2 weeks of gun season.Two weeks before bow season , we have early gun doe season,then six weeks of bow which is from Oct1 to Nov 14th then gunseason pretty much ti'll Jan 1 then the season's over. Once the orange stormtroopers are in full force they pretty much are extinct.
    Last edited by vortec 1; 04-28-2011 at 10:40 PM.
    HIGH COUNTRY SPEED PRO X10 "SPEED KILLS",HHA site,Carbon force Mayhem/Easton Fat Boy Arrows,Alpine quiver,TM hunter and Swhacker Broadheads.

Average? I'll bet 135lbs. That's total weight divided by the number shot, right?
    A decent buck here is 110-120 score antler-wise, anything over that is a BIG racked deer.
    We occasionally get a 140 or so but that's huge and rare.
    FBSA Member

Default Here's what I think !

These are last years deer !
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by vortec 1 View Post
    Ok,I'll see ya half way on the average. You said it, on the sad state of affairs here. Now they are talking about
    moving opening of gun to the Saturday before the 15th. So much for primetime hunting.

Bfisher, here in Michigan we wish we had just 2 weeks of gun season.Two weeks before bow season , we have early gun doe season,then six weeks of bow which is from Oct1 to Nov 14th then gunseason pretty much ti'll Jan 1 then the season's over. Once the orange stormtroopers are in full force they pretty much are extinct.
    See, this makes our situation sound ike a dream world. At least the bowhunters have first crack at the deer herd. Our season usually starts the Saturday closest to Oct 1 and runs for 6 weeks. The third week of Oct we have to share the woods for three days with Flintlock and young (12 yr old) with rifles, during which time only does are legal for the guns. Rifle season comes in the Monday after Thanksgiving for two weeks. There is an extended season for three weeks after Christmas for Bow and muzzleloaders. There are some special seasons for certain over loaded areas, but these are not worth mentioning. As with most states bows can be used during any of the gun seasons.
    Martin/Rytera Silver Star Shooter
    UBP Life Member
    PSAA Life Member
    Worldwide Scuba Diver

Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    See, this makes our situation sound ike a dream world. At least the bowhunters have first crack at the deer herd. Our season usually starts the Saturday closest to Oct 1 and runs for 6 weeks. The third week of Oct we have to share the woods for three days with Flintlock and young (12 yr old) with rifles, during which time only does are legal for the guns. Rifle season comes in the Monday after Thanksgiving for two weeks. There is an extended season for three weeks after Christmas for Bow and muzzleloaders. There are some special seasons for certain over loaded areas, but these are not worth mentioning. As with most states bows can be used during any of the gun seasons.
    Sounds like we have the same DNR (STUPID)We have to put up with two weekends of gun before bow season.I miss the days when deer did'nt even know the season started.

Nice bucks Crapshooter!!!
    Last edited by vortec 1; 05-02-2011 at 10:19 AM.

He Who Drops His Bow Arm dbdcougar's Avatar

On my place a 2.5 year old deer is a definite shooter. Very rare to see one older than that. The place to the west of me is pretty big and he lets half of the county hunt it, it seems like anyways and they shoot anything that moves. 3 years ago I arrowed a 2.5 year old 8pt.; while I was waiting to go get him I had a 3pt come through the exact same spot. I bet myself he wouldn't make it through gun season........he didn't.

Down in KY where I hunt it's different. You can see a 3.5 or 4.5 year old deer. I'll still take a 2.5 year old though as my opportunities to hunt there are rather limited.

Last year:
    The guy I hunt with down there took a big bodied buck, 8pt but the beams had a lot of mass. His son took a drop tine that was a mounter for sure.
    Me: I shot one just into legal hours at about 120yds. - thought it was a doe. Turns out it was a spike with the antler broken off on the side facing me - looked for head gear but the 4" spike on the far side didn't show up in the scope - very disappointing way to burn your buck tag.
    Last edited by dbdcougar; 05-02-2011 at 03:19 PM.
    Bear Kodiak Magnum, Easton XX75 Legacy w/Zwicky's, Great Northern Quiver
    Black & Pink package for the Princess: Martin Mystic, Sword Apex, Limb Driver
    FBSA emertus

I would say the average for me is 190 pounds for a buck and 120 pounds for a doe. Its been probably 10 years since I have shot a buck under 120 inches, and last year I did'nt even shot a buck(first time in 8yrs that I did'nt), but I am picky, and most of the guys around me are also. However I did miss 180-to 190 incher last year. My brother and I hunt the same property and between the 2 of us, one of usually gets 140 plus deer every year.
    Hoyt Maxxis 31,QAD HD ,G5 ME sight ,Vibracheck stabilizer
    Hoyt Maxxis 35, QAD HDX, Black Gold slider, B-Stinger
    Hoyt Maxxis 35, QAD HD ,B-stinger. Armortech sight

Default Thanks for the response's

It's interesting to see what's out there.Always hunting in Michigan on state land or on different private properties, hunting high pressured deer.I hope to some day make it out West to bowhunt Elk, Mule deer and Bigger racked whitetail's.

Elk is high on my list of hunts to do...........as soon as I figure out the right 5 numbers for the mega-millions.

Crapshooter........when you say you stack em up like cord wood, you weren't kiding. Couple of nice bucks in there.

I live in NW PA where we have lots of agriculture and feed for the deer year round. We also do a great deal with year round food plots and supplimental feeding. In my area we see deer in the 120's and bigger by 3.5 years of age. The genetics are pretty good in my area. Body size they can be pushing over 220 easily at 3.5 years of age. I shot a buck this year that scored 108 in. but his body was big. By his teeth and trail camera pics we believe he was 4.5 years of age. He dressed out at close to 195 and he was shot on the last day of rifle seson.

I live in an area that over the past many years we had AR that only allowed bucks that have 4 points to one side legal for harvest. They just changes the AR's again and I think this will hurt the bucks in our area. Time will only tell but we have some really good deer.

I score whitetails and this year I scored a 180 in deer and a 177 in deer taken in PA in 2010. Both were bow kills and were awesome deer.

[QUOTE=Gator eye;291647]Elk is high on my list of hunts to do...........as soon as I figure out the right 5 numbers for the mega-millions.

I know what you mean, I had a goal that by the time I was 45 I would make it West to do a Elk hunt and here I am with the kids all gone,48 and still have'nt made it yet!!!
    Last edited by vortec 1; 05-04-2011 at 02:17 PM.

[QUOTE=vortec 1;291655]
    Elk is high on my list of hunts to do...........as soon as I figure out the right 5 numbers for the mega-millions.

I know what you mean, I had a goal that by the time I was 45 I would make it West to do a Elk hunt and here I am with the kids all gone,48 and still have'nt made it yet!!!
    Time flies when your having fun!!!!! I'm turning 45 in acouple of days

Maybe next year we be the year

The two highest scoring at the shop this year were scored 184.5 and 193+. Both monsters. Weight, a lot..LOL
    Chris Christenson - Admin
    3DShoots.com - Find Archery Shoots near you
    ObsessionArchery.com - Archery Supplies

my aunt owns a bar that has a deer contest for gun and bow every year and usually a buck weighin about 205-220 wins the bow contest and gun season about 210 usally wins as for score there is 1 or 2 180 190's brought in every year