You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default Good Hunting Bow ???

I'ld like as many opinions as I can about what bows you guys/girls think is a good hunting bow. There are so many out there, I need some place to start looking.

Thanks

Hi there Slappy to the forum.

Go to a local Proshop and shoot as many bows as you can and buy the one that feels best to you. Lots of great bows out there. Mathews,Hoyt,PSE,Martin,Bear all make great bows. If you are tight on money on bows check out the sister companies of Mathews and Hoyt, Mission and Reflex. I have a buddy who shoots a PSE Nova and loves it he does not like Mathews or Hoyt as much so you do not have to shoot the expensive ones to be happy. Good luck and if you have any questions please feel free to post them up buddy or you can PM me.

"HONDA"

I've been looking at the Diamond Liberty by Bowtech. Have you heard anything about that one?

There is a fella on here that shoots a Diamond Victory I think and he seems to like it. I think his sign on is DiamondVic or something like that. I have not shot the Liberty yet but have heard good things about it. You have a Gander Mountain close to ya?? If so Shoot the new Bear bows The Truth is their newest and it looks fabulous they also have the code,instinct, and element. Good luck

"HONDA"

Quote Originally Posted by BowhuntnHoosier View Post
    There is a fella on here that shoots a Diamond Victory I think and he seems to like it. I think his sign on is DiamondVic or something like that. I have not shot the Liberty yet but have heard good things about it. You have a Gander Mountain close to ya?? If so Shoot the new Bear bows The Truth is their newest and it looks fabulous they also have the code,instinct, and element. Good luck
    I have a Diamond Victory as a second bow and I really like it a lot. I shoot it almost as much as my Bowtech Allegiance. Bowtech bought Diamond 2 or 3 years ago and use their technology on the Diamond line. Essentially the Bowtech bows have the slaved cam and a half setup where I believe all but one of the Diamond bows have a single cam.

I use both bows for hunting.

Check out as many as you can. Bows feel very different to different people so you need to try some out to see what feels good to you.

Good luck.

Ron

Site Guru

Lets start with how much you plan on spending TOTAL to get into shooting and go from there.
    No I'm not dead

This is the setup I was planning on getting.... any suggestions or thoughts would be GREATLY appreciated. I need help fine tuning my package ie.. different arrows, what draw weight bow, rest??...

Thanks

Item Brand Name

Bow: RH Diamond Liberty by Bowtech 50-60# or 60-70# 29" Reach

Sight: Copper John Dead Nuts Hunter 3 Pin Site

Rest: Standard QS Wisker Biscuit by Carolina Archery for ICS Carbon Arrows

Arrows: Easton ST Axis w/ 2" Blazer Vanes set at 4 deg right offset, nock set, inserts, and 100 grain field tips. (12 Arrows)

Quiver: Alpine Archery Soft-Loc 5-Arrow Quiver Mossy Oak Obsession

Stabilizer: Diamond Wild Thing Stabilizer in Mossy Oak by Bowtech

Case: Plano Protector Series Bow-Max Case Broad Heads

SlickTricks: 100 grain (1 Pack)

Peep Sight: Jim Fletcher Tru-Peep 1/8" or to match pin guard on Sight

oh yeah... I really don't want to spend too much more than $900 on the total package.

Sounds like a nice package there. I would suggest you go with a 50-60 pound bow. With todays bows they produce plenty of Kenetic Energy to down any animal in the US. With proper shot placement.

"HONDA"

Nice setup...
    If your budget will allow you might consider the Whister Buiscuit drop tine model since it's less prone to tilting forward or rearward if you hit it on something because the attaching point is square instead of round. It is also quite a bit easier to adjust. I'm not sure the difference in the price though. I have one on my Victory and use ST Axis arrows with Blazers and have no trouble at all. The Blazers seem to deal with the biscuit just fine.

Ron

Nice set-up.
    I'll disagree with the poundage comment.
    I use 70# limbs at 65#s because that is the sweet spot for me that allows me a smooth draw and good holding time. BUT, if I don't get enough work out I can go down to 60, or if I am looking at bear, moose, elk then I can work out more and easily crank it up closer to 70# as needed.
    Shoot what you can comfortably draw, without pointing to the sky.
    70# limbs do not mean you have to draw 70#s.
    If you can barely draw 60#s don't think you will be able to 'build up' to 70# later.
    But if 60# is really easy, you might be kicking yourself later if you decide you want to shoot higher poundage.
    Just be honest with yourself.

Only other advice would be to get the WB with separate vertical and horizontal adjustment. I got the DX while my friend and brother got the basic. I have a MUCH easier time micro adjusting for MHC 3D and friendly back yard spots.

G5 Montecs fly pretty well for me as well out of the WB.
    Sighting in for BHs. First two arrows (notice no other holes).
    Just had to adjust the horizontal a smidge and BHs and FPs were wacking together.
    Good Hunting Bow ??? - Bowhunting forum
    Last edited by Shaman; 12-29-2006 at 05:04 AM.
    2006 PSE Diablo - 26"/68# |VBG Triangle | WB DX QS | ST Magnums
    TR One Piece Quiver | Doinker 7" M-Rod | Vibracheck HD | Scott Wildcat
    Box Family Archery Site / Diablo Owners Club / Maine Hunter Support Group

Slappy sounds like a good setup, if I could make a suggestion though I would say go with a 2 pc. solid mount quiver I have found that some one piece disconnect quivers can make your bow noisier, and also I know that alot of people like the copper john sights, but I bought one and don't really like it I have already had to replace the fibers on mine and from a hunting standpoint you can find alot of other sights that are brighter that don't require a light. I will be getting a Viper their sights have very bright pins and really good craftsmanship. Just my opinion I am sure there will be guys on here who disagree with me, but I thought that I would add my 2c
    Target: Hoyt ProElite XT3000 C2, 60# 30", CBE Quad Lite, CBE 3x .019, Trophy Taker, Easton Fatboy 400's(indoor) lightspeed 400 (outdoor)

Hunting: 2009 Alphamax35 (Blacked out) 70#, 29", HHA Slider, Bisquit, Easton ACC 3-60, Rage 100 gr. 2 blade