You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Are you a breaker or step aside.....

This is starting to drive me crazy........

A few of the local clubs putting on 3d shoots are getting carried away on some targets by placing brush infront of the 10 and 11 ring.

Do you shoot it as it sets, move to the side for a clear shot, or just break off the offensive branch and make your shot?

I'll break it off if I can reach it if not I'll step off to the side to get a clear shot or shoot the back rings if advailable. I was told it was to make it more like a hunting situation......I wouldn't shoot through brush at a deer why should I have for a 3d shoot? Beside 3d doesn't have nothing to do with hunting, the only thing the 2 have in common is the color of the targets.

Personally I would step to the side and shoot. I am not into 3D all that much and just do it to tune up for hunting. I personally like the targets with different ojects potentially blocking the vitals.
    That course was so easy I even missed a target !!

I always take issue with shots like this. There are lots of ways to make shots difficult, but always give a clear shot at the vitals, including the "8" scoring area. Tunnel shots where you may have to get on the knees to shoot. You can hide part of the animal behind brush or shoot between trees. Quarter the animal a bit. Any of these things work well to mess with the shooters ability to judge the yardage or mess with the mind little bit., but give the shooters the whole vital area.

I'm with you though. 3D has nothing to do with hunting. It's simply another target venue. There just isn't a defined bullseye to shoot at. I'd clear the offending brush from the path just for spite and then let the people running the shoot know about it and voice my displeasure.
    Martin/Rytera Silver Star Shooter
    UBP Life Member
    PSAA Life Member
    Worldwide Scuba Diver

Quote Originally Posted by poorman View Post
    Personally I would step to the side and shoot. I am not into 3D all that much and just do it to tune up for hunting. I personally like the targets with different ojects potentially blocking the vitals.
    What about a round of 3d tunes you up for hunting?

Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    I always take issue with shots like this. There are lots of ways to make shots difficult, but always give a clear shot at the vitals, including the "8" scoring area. Tunnel shots where you may have to get on the knees to shoot. You can hide part of the animal behind brush or shoot between trees. Quarter the animal a bit. Any of these things work well to mess with the shooters ability to judge the yardage or mess with the mind little bit., but give the shooters the whole vital area.

I'm with you though. 3D has nothing to do with hunting. It's simply another target venue. There just isn't a defined bullseye to shoot at. I'd clear the offending brush from the path just for spite and then let the people running the shoot know about it and voice my displeasure.

I got no problem with setting up the target with the 10 ring next to a tree........it adds alittle pressure aiming in next to a 8 inch tree and it's always fun to rub it in when someone sinks one into the tree. But the brush shots got to stop. I hate to be the winer but I believe I'm gonna voice my opinion at league this week.

Something to think about for those who set up the shoots.... set up the targets for different hieghts of people....brush might not be in the way for one person, yet totally block the shot for someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Gator eye View Post
    What about a round of 3d tunes you up for hunting?
    Looking at an actual animal size target versus a bag or spots can make a difference. At least it does for me.
    That course was so easy I even missed a target !!

He Who Drops His Bow Arm dbdcougar's Avatar

I NEVER set a target that the 8 ring is not clear on. I wouldn't take a shot in the woods that the "8 ring" area is not clear on so I'd step aside until it was - that's While 3D isn't hunting, when setting a target I ask myself "would I take that shoot in a hunting situation" if the answer is no I change it until I would. I'd have a word with whoever is running the shoot as well; if I did not get satisfaction I would not be back.

PS for Wheely: I do try to remember to bend around as I look at the shot from the stakes to try and be sure different height people still have a shot
    Last edited by dbdcougar; 05-02-2011 at 02:59 PM.
    Bear Kodiak Magnum, Easton XX75 Legacy w/Zwicky's, Great Northern Quiver
    Black & Pink package for the Princess: Martin Mystic, Sword Apex, Limb Driver
    FBSA emertus

Quote Originally Posted by Wheely View Post
    Something to think about for those who set up the shoots.... set up the targets for different hieghts of people....brush might not be in the way for one person, yet totally block the shot for someone else.

I think someone here is vertically challenged.

but yes, it should be clear enough for all heights too.

there is a few clubs around here that set shots like this and i don't care for it if the animals head or back side is blocked thats one thing but leave the rings open short or tall they should be seen by all

Red. PSE Supra ME
    Black. PSE Supra ME

I think someone here is vertically challenged.

I am 5' 8", so I am not as vertically challenged as some

we might put a log in front of the target or in between trees or a branch just over the top or something , but the vitals are always clear enough for a fair chance at a good shot.
    it is hard to keep in mind short people, tall people lefty or righty, but we try to do it so everyone can make the shot.

challenging is and can be fun, making it so you will tear something up trying to "thread the needle" is not a lot of fun to me especially as much as arrows cost.

hard quatering shots are really tough wometimes but like you guys say that is ok as long as it is not blocked by a ton of junk.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheely View Post
    I am 5' 8", so I am not as vertically challenged as some
    Whats that supposed to mean?
    I cut things up and split them down!

in Dixie Home of the Brave and land of the Free

been shooting 3d since the concept and before paper
    I have shot thru a 4" pvc pipe in the forks of a dogwood to get the 10
    backed off a treestand shot trying to get a clear shot thru the brush
    fortunately my foot caught in the step and only fell back on the steps
    this is just a smaple of some of the shots we used to do back in tha day of real men archery

Switchback xt BYC LOOP- SHOOT NOW56# 385gr 2312 Eclipse 100gr Muzzy 256fps SEPTER RANGER STRINGS, 4th axis,335 jammers @ 61# =285 fps

Quote Originally Posted by Holy Smokes View Post
    been shooting 3d since the concept and before paper
    I have shot thru a 4" pvc pipe in the forks of a dogwood to get the 10
    backed off a treestand shot trying to get a clear shot thru the brush
    fortunately my foot caught in the step and only fell back on the steps
    this is just a smaple of some of the shots we used to do back in tha day of real men archery
    Back in Smokes day they use to give em 10 minute to build the bow out of maple branches and cat gut before each shoot.

I like to set the shooting stake so that you have to shoot standing up in a hammock. Only kidding.

I guess that clubs can set up the targets like they want but most organization rules require the kill zone to be clear of obstacles.

Just let the club know that all blocked targets will be scored with the highest score possible without an arrow being fired. That will arouse some discussion about how the targets should be set. My guess is that these targets are being set by inexperienced guys or by guys that want to put some luck into the game so that they might have a better chance to win.

Quote Originally Posted by jim p View Post
    I like to set the shooting stake so that you have to shoot standing up in a hammock. Only kidding.

I guess that clubs can set up the targets like they want but most organization rules require the kill zone to be clear of obstacles.

Just let the club know that all blocked targets will be scored with the highest score possible without an arrow being fired. That will arouse some discussion about how the targets should be set. My guess is that these targets are being set by inexperienced guys or by guys that want to put some luck into the game so that they might have a better chance to win.

I don't think it's anything as sinister as that, I mean it is only a weekly league with nothin more than braggin rights at stake..........if anything it's a " let's see how many arrows we get with this one, hehehehe."

I enjoy the challenge that it brings but I do have a problem with some clubs that set their corse up for right handed people only. I have been to clubs where they set up the pin and for me, being left handed, it is nearly impossible to stand on the pin and get a shot off. I wish clubs would be a little more cosiderate of that.

The idea of having ANY of the scoring rings blocked is moronic. Being a lefty I run into this more often than my right handed commrads. I will side step to get an open look at the scoring rings everytime. I'm not going to ruin a $20 arrow cause a course setter wants to get cute.

Lets face it, these days 3D is much more of a target scoring round than a simulated hunting round. If it wasn't, every target would be anotomically correct. Not a paunch liver shot 14.
    Be good or be good at it.

in Dixie Home of the Brave and land of the Free

Back in Smokes day they use to give em 10 minute to build the bow out of maple branches and cat gut before each shoot.
    you slimy dog

Switchback xt BYC LOOP- SHOOT NOW56# 385gr 2312 Eclipse 100gr Muzzy 256fps SEPTER RANGER STRINGS, 4th axis,335 jammers @ 61# =285 fps