You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I take issue when the target is quartering away and the scoring ring would result in a crappy shot in the real world. Hard to reinforce waiting for the right shot for a beginner hunter when they set them up like that.
    I don't mind shooting from the knees if necessary for a clear shot but there should be a clear crack at the vitals and the "animal" at a decent angle. More than 1 shoot we've pocketed the score cards and shot them like we should on a real animal just because of the quartering away issue. I don't hunt from the ground but if your going to use animal 3d targets, at least make it a shot you'd actually take. Otherwise put paper targets out there.
    FBSA Member

Some clubs also don't take Lefties into consideration when setting
    up targets either.

About 8 years ago, I went to a 3-D shoot that did that kind of crap. I ended up messing up almost a whole dozen arrows. I got about 2/3 through the course, and said the heck with it. The people running the shoot asked me if I was through, and I told them I was through ever shooting there. I guess they wanted to keep their own bunch happy. I know there was one guy that was a pro, and when all was said and done, he didn't even get in the top 3.
    As far as 3-D goes, I love the shoots. But you also have to think a bit ahead. This future of this sport depends on how many you can get to shoot, but it also depends on how many you can keep coming back. The shoot I went to had the hunter stake way off from the other stakes, in a bunch of folaige and stuff. And like any other sport, the youth are our future,, so you need to think a couple of moves ahead. We ended up last year voting out a club in our coalition, because the way our local championship course had been set up. The idiot that set the course up had been a member of the group that I talked about earlier. Now we are down to 6 clubs. You shouldn't go to a shoot thinking how much crap you got to shoot through just to hit the target.
    Tommy
    I like my trophies on my wall and in my belly

I voted step aside. With that said you sholdnt have to shoot through limbs and branches. However I dont have a problem changing levels or shooting from my knees or leaning away from the stake to take the shot. It makes it interesting. IF all targets were set out in the open and all broadside you might as well have the shoot in an open field. For me that is what makes it fun and different than just shooting the same 3 3d targets I have set up in my back yard.
    That course was so easy I even missed a target !!

Talking Here's what I think !

I'm not much into 3D shooting and will move some keeping my one foot touching the correct stake , even if I have to bend , twist or whatever !

Cricket Spitting Champ

This is a problem here is Wisconsin. Too many BRUSH shoots. Most are indoors, but, there are some stupid set ups out side too. IMO these are and should be called novelty shoots.

A couple of years ago Myself,two sons and a friend went a nearby shoot and it was very intersting.....around the 5th target I looked at the target and felt I could not get a shot, the score keeper tells me "Its a brush shoot". I pass and take a zero. My eldest some how puts an arrow through a tangle of brush and scores. My friend puts the tip of his shoe on the mark almost lays down so that his 6'-2" frame can find a clear path and shoots a 12. Then we shoot at a spinning box hanging from the ceiling and get pass throughs, into corrugated steel, and have to shoot again. We finaly get to a steel target. My freind gets another pass through into....yes a metal wall....and the score keeper says "shoot again, or take a zero". He shot, and you could just see thge nock, getting the points. When we left eh and my oldes son had the high score by a wide margin( 3PM Sunday of weekend shoot). No checks, no payout. Every shoot prior to that, they posted scores online.....this is the shot they stopped, no one knows who won

I really don't have a problem with these shoots, but, allow all those shooting to be able to make a shot!

Quote Originally Posted by Gator eye View Post
    This is starting to drive me crazy........

A few of the local clubs putting on 3d shoots are getting carried away on some targets by placing brush infront of the 10 and 11 ring.

Do you shoot it as it sets, move to the side for a clear shot, or just break off the offensive branch and make your shot?

I'll break it off if I can reach it if not I'll step off to the side to get a clear shot or shoot the back rings if advailable. I was told it was to make it more like a hunting situation......I wouldn't shoot through brush at a deer why should I have for a 3d shoot? Beside 3d doesn't have nothing to do with hunting, the only thing the 2 have in common is the color of the targets.

A lot of people setting up shots like this seem to forget or don't get it....3D maybe used as practice for some for hunting.....but 3D shoots are ARCHERY TOURNAMENTS....not fake hunting tournament.

Stop putting crap in the way.

I came across a impossible shot a few weeks back at a shoot, the target was behind a thicket and there was no way to squeeze a arrow through it so we stepped to the side till we could get a decent shot at it..did i mention it was a 36 yard shot?

talked to the group ahead of us and they shot through it..5 guys and 1 arrow hit the target, 2 arrows lost. I did say something to a guy at the club.
    Elite Pure, Limbdriver,Doinker Fatty's,Vaportrails,Fatboys

PSE Vendetta XL,Limbdriver,Doinker,Fatboys,Easton Axis

1st i step over & shoot
    2nd i tell the club where the junk shot is.
    3rd next shoot i find a better club.
    most of the time i have 2-6 shooters with me so at $10.a head bad shots can cost a club 2-$300..bucks a year just from us.i'm sure lots of others do the same....so keep the kills clear & make money .

Quote Originally Posted by steve bear View Post
    1st i step over & shoot
    2nd i tell the club where the junk shot is.
    3rd next shoot i find a better club.
    most of the time i have 2-6 shooters with me so at $10.a head bad shots can cost a club 2-$300..bucks a year just from us.i'm sure lots of others do the same....so keep the kills clear & make money .

yeap, junk up around the 8 and 10 rings all you want but leave the score rings open.

I made a comment about not shooting my 12 dollars arrows through brush shots. we'll see if it's any better this week.

In God we trust wilkersonhunter's Avatar

i really take my 3-d seriously and for that matter there needs not to be anything in the way of the path of the arrow. asa or ibo dont do that nonsense.
    truball shooting staff
    2012 pse dreamseason evo 6
    member of the 160" 8ptr club
    [/COLOR]Treelimb quivers best out there
    treelimb quivers and sword sights pro staff