You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    236

    Default Back tension help

    I have not committed to BT....I know that is part of my problem. The only reason that I have not committed is b/c I hit left when shooting BT, regardless of the release (black hole, evolution, sweet spot).
    I know I can move my pin left and probably move forward, but it bothers me that my pin would be more left of my string/arrow.

    I know that it is not the bow (had same issue with another bow).
    I have a couple of questions:
    What might I be doing wrong? I think I am pulling the string to the left in an effort to activate the release. Any ideas?

    And...
    do others who shoot BT find that their pin is more left of the arrow? I feel like BT adds additional torque into the system due to the added (and increasing) tension on the string.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    532

    Default

    you will do better if you forget about where the arrow is hitting and just work on learning to shoot the BT release.

    You can learn a lot more on a blank bale than you can on a target.

    But know that the bale is only the beginning. If it's not followed by a bridge to gradually reintroduce the target, the whole thing will likely be a failure.

    Good luck,
    Allen

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    236

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    you will do better if you forget about where the arrow is hitting and just work on learning to shoot the BT release.

    You can learn a lot more on a blank bale than you can on a target.

    But know that the bale is only the beginning. If it's not followed by a bridge to gradually reintroduce the target, the whole thing will likely be a failure.

    Good luck,
    Allen
    Following blank baling what would be the next step...I actually had been blank bailing but began noticing I was grouping high left as compared to where I was aiming...just couldnt help but notice. I really want to make this work. Is there a nicely outlined step by step training? How many arrows should practive per session?
    and thanks for the well wishes!
    Anthony

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Pine Grove, Pa.
    Posts
    106

    Default

    Stop aiming, blank baling is not about WHERE the arrow goes, it is to learn the feel of proper shot execution. You need to learn what a perfectly controlled, yet surprise release, feels like. After time has passed and you feel that you can execute a good shot repeatedly, then you can think about where the arrow is going.

  5. #5
    Guest Gator eye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    In the horn of Michigan
    Posts
    7,185

    Default

    If your going from a wrist strap release to a hand held, then yes your POI will change just alittle, at least it does when I go back and forth between different releases.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    236

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tedlebo View Post
    Stop aiming, blank baling is not about WHERE the arrow goes, it is to learn the feel of proper shot execution. You need to learn what a perfectly controlled, yet surprise release, feels like. After time has passed and you feel that you can execute a good shot repeatedly, then you can think about where the arrow is going.
    I know...just couldn't help myself.
    I think I am going to try it eyes closed.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    236

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gator eye View Post
    If your going from a wrist strap release to a hand held, then yes your POI will change just alittle, at least it does when I go back and forth between different releases.
    I use a carter insatiable for thumb and have been using the sweet spot ultra II for hinge. I anchor identical (as far as I can tell). They releases have a very similar shape and feel.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    SE PA
    Posts
    3

    Default

    High lefts are most likely over holding( waiting to long for shot) & trying to help it fire by pushing harder with your bow hand.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    236

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray View Post
    High lefts are most likely over holding( waiting to long for shot) & trying to help it fire by pushing harder with your bow hand.
    I think this is very much the case. When the bow fires I can actually see my arm pushing out and left.
    SO...do I need to make the release a little hotter?? any other ways to help that?

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    SE PA
    Posts
    3

    Default

    If you are shooting a static bow arm, when you are aiming, you can just pull thru the shot harder with your release hand.
    The other if you grip the release deeper in your hand, the release will seem to fire quicker. Hold the release like a pair of brass knuckles, with your wrist straight. With your sweet spot, set up this way befor pushing your safety. I like the sweet spot because you can set the angle of your wrist ,then push the safety & pull thru the shot.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    236

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray View Post
    If you are shooting a static bow arm, when you are aiming, you can just pull thru the shot harder with your release hand.
    The other if you grip the release deeper in your hand, the release will seem to fire quicker. Hold the release like a pair of brass knuckles, with your wrist straight. With your sweet spot, set up this way befor pushing your safety. I like the sweet spot because you can set the angle of your wrist ,then push the safety & pull thru the shot.
    thanks. I will try this. I also feel as I am trying to get the shot off I am actually moving the aim string toward my face, bending left. I know I am introducing torque into an already torqued system!

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    236

    Default

    I started this thread b/c I had been shooting left with Back Tension. I changed my anchor, moving more forward with my release hand...not much, just getting the string off my face. From using a thumb trigger I had gotten into a habit of anchoring further back, too much string on my face. I now have the string just touching the center of the tip of my nose and just barely touching into the corner of my mouth. My groups have improved and the arrows fly straight.

    Could this just have been my issue, anchoring too far back...too much face on the string, creating additional torque which is then exagerated by the increased force of back tension?

    I know of more than a few people who have switched to BT and arrows were flying left out of the bow, I wonder if this is their issue as well.

Similar Threads

  1. New to Back Tension.
    By Elkslayer in forum General Archery Forum
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-22-2011, 02:19 AM
  2. back tension
    By fjrpilot in forum General Archery Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-09-2009, 07:44 PM
  3. back tension?
    By DrewG in forum General Archery Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-06-2007, 06:37 AM
  4. Back tension
    By Tim Hansen in forum General Archery Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-02-2006, 08:33 PM
  5. back tension
    By southernhunter in forum General Archery Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-20-2006, 09:43 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •